From Windows to Mac Random n00b Question about Maintenance?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by indigotheory, May 6, 2009.

1. indigotheory macrumors regular

ok so ive had the macbook for 2 weeks after completely switching from having 13years with Windows. Ive installed and uninstalled lots of stuff on it and etc,
    also not running any type of antivirus whatsoever........Which feels kinda liberating!

Dont you ever find that you feel the need to do maintenance?, like you kinda know some apps you have uninstalled have left folders everywhere on the hard drive or something, but you cant quite find them or find out where they are,

and does the same thing apply to a mac when a lot of people say about windows "Its good to at least format and do a new install of windows at least once a year"

Thanks in advance

2. sosaysiburke macrumors member

sosaysiburke

yea right click and it says show package content that shows what is left over. also a clean install/reformat is always good for me.

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I enjoy reinstalling everything from scratch, which is a thing I miss doing. When I first bought a Mac it felt odd not uninstalling bloatware.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'll answer the last question first - no. Never have to. I rarely even reboot, let alone reinstall the OS.

Maintenance - there are some logs that get cleared out on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, but that happens automatically (though there are some apps and widgets to do this when you want, usually for troubleshooting (yes, there can be problems at times - it's a computer ;) ).

Unstalling: Many apps can be uninstalled by simply dragging them to the trash. There can be some support data in the ~/Library or /Library, but usually they're small and can be left (or just trash them). Other times, the application has an unstaller or uninstall mode of their installer app - then, they will take care of removing all files.

5. indigotheory thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the replies,

it does seem a little strange not having to do any maintenance, it does come with the territory with windows, you kinda expect to do maintenance with computers. I was unaware that the mac does it automatically?

even though ive been dabbling with onyx for the mac, it seems pretty much enough, and appzapper seems to do a good job. These seem pretty much enough.

as for reinstalling, it would be a first for me, though after having the mac for two weeks thats a thing i wouldnt like to do just yet!......still id like to see the install process and etc...

as with new computers theres always that same old thing of you install everything and the world onto it and try new stuff until your hard drive screams "im FuLL"!