Front Page is maxing out my CPU

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Anaemik, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Anaemik macrumors 6502

Something funny has been going on with the Front Page for the last couple of days.

Every time I load it, the page becomes very unresponsive for about 20-30 secs and Safari beachballs. At the same time in Activity Monitor Safari's CPU usage hits 100% and takes about 20-30 seconds to settle back down to normal again. I see nothing visually about the page that should be causing this, but clearly something isn't right here. FWIW I have ClickToFlash disabling the only Flash content currently visible on the front page (in the Logitech/Google TV article)

Any idea what's going on?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don’t see that happening, but I have ClicktoFlash.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Can you have a look at the activity monitor in safari to see if it is stalling on a specific part?

What happens if you disable clicktoflash or any other addons.

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

We had someone with a similar problem due to having the extensions WOT and ClicktoFlash installed at the same time.

arn

5. Anaemik, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know what WOT is, but I don't have it installed. If I disable all extensions the problem disappears, but if I just disable ClickToFlash then the problem persists.

Here is a list of all the extensions I have installed:

ClickToFlash
    Delicious
    Imgur Upload
    TinEye
    AutoPagerize (I have macrumors excluded)
    Instapaper Article Tools
    ComicSansBeGone
    Clip to DEVONthink
    Save For Later
    AdBlock

Things seem to improve a lot if I disable AdBlock. If I enable AdBlock but exclude the site, I still get the problem.

The "page loading" icon in the tab persists while the processor is getting pegged.

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Can you try each one individually and see if you can isolate it to one?

arn

7. Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

AdBlock seems to be having the most issues. Due to the time needed to isolate each extension (individually disable all extensions except 1, reload the page, re-enable all disabled extensions then repeat the process 7 times), I haven't been able to fully test so far due to time commitments, but disabling AdBlock certainly seems to alleviate >70% of the problem.

8. wpotere Guest

Noticed this on several sites after I upgraded to Lion. Not sure what is causing it but the entire browser hangs and becomes unstable. I think it is a bug...

9. Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

fwiw I'm running 10.6.7 and this is the only site I have trouble with.

10. toxic macrumors 68000

for me, on 10.7 with WOT turned on, Safari usually freezes. the CPU spikes to ~50%. with extensions off, Safari freezes for a few seconds. no issues on Firefox 3.6.19, also with WOT.

11. Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

Something seems to have gotten a lot better today. I don't know if it's because you did something, whether a problem article has dropped off the front page, or if a problem as has been swapped out, but whatever has changed over the past few hours has definitely helped things a lot.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A number of people have reported problems using the AdBlock extension. That's most likely your culprit. Try GlimmerBlocker instead.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ya, we removed a bunch of the live calls to the twitter and Facebook counts. It was causing problems. We'll have to rework that.

arn

14. Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

That's great Arn, thank you. The site is behaving 100% as normal now.

15. wpotere Guest

I don't use extensions in Safari and it still happens on random sites. This only happened after the upgrade to Lion. That was the reason I thought it might be a bug.

16. Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the recommendation, but I haven't really ever had problems with AdBlock before. Given that I have spent a decent amount of time customising it, and that I don't really have any other issues with it, I will probably stay with it for the time being, but if things get worse then I will definitely keep your alternative in mind.

17. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Same thing happened to me. The front page hangs in macumors for about a minute, but now it's all good.

18. Anaemik thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to let you know, I have just ventured over to the blog pages for the first time by following the links at the top of the page rather than the article links in the sidebar, and in both cases those pages exhibit the same problems as the Front Page did until you fixed it.