Front Row ALWAYS crashes!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChePibe, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ChePibe macrumors member

(Computer is MBP 2.2 Ghz, 4 gigs RAM)

I'm just about fed up with Front Row in Leopard. It looks nice, but NEVER works properly for me.

I can turn it on and use it, but if I dare leave it unattended and, say, playing music in the background for more than 10 minutes, I'm in trouble. After leaving it alone for a few minutes, the screen goes blank and the computer continues to play music but becomes almost entirely unresponsive to all commands, whether from the remote or the keyboard. The "sleep" light on the front of the machine, and it continues to play music, but that's it. I have tried turning the screen saver in Front Row on and off and the problem persists.

Randomly pressing buttons on the keyboard or remote sometimes gives some results - random parts of the GUI, such as the album art view, song/artist name, or track counter will appear, but are never updated.

The end result, however, is almost always a crashed computer. Nothing I do can bring it out of Front Row, and I must restart. This is really becoming annoying.

Anyone else have this problem? Please tell me there's a fix. Please!

2. lucky3killer macrumors regular

Front Row works fine on mine, don't know why.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First thing I'd suspect is a corrupted QuickTime codec/plugin. Try removing all codecs and plugins from their respective folders (both in your user Library and the global Library, but not the System Library), and see if that helps. I'd tell you exactly where these things were located if I could... but I'm not at a Mac right now.

4. millap macrumors regular

Good tip about removing the Quicktime codecs. In addition check your energy saver settings in system preffs to see if the hard disks are set to spin down or the computer is trying to sleep. Also if it only crashes whilst playing music, then you may have a corrupt or badly encoded mp3 in your iTunes library that is causing the problem. I have seen this type of thing crash iPods as well.

5. dai.hop macrumors member

dai.hop

I have exactly the same problem. My Macbook Pro came with Tiger but I have just performed a clean install using Leopard - can't figure it out!

Surely it can't be a corrupt QuickTime plugin if I have only just performed a clean install??!!!

6. moorey macrumors newbie

Any one found a solution to this?

I have the exact same problem on MBP2.2 running Leopard. FR just crashes after about a few songs (black screen / unresponsive).

7. johnk718 macrumors newbie

I have installed leopard on my macbook pro and it worked fine for a while but now it freezes and the only way to quit is to reboot. Any suggestions?

8. boast macrumors 65816

boast

check your logs, see what it says.

(can't say I know where front row logs to, or if it even logs *shrug*)

9. Cairde macrumors newbie

Front Row ALWAYS Crashes

I've been having the same problem exactly as all of you have described. Play music using Front Row, give it a few minutes or so and without fail it crashes. I tried to rollback the update to 1.3.1 but cant figure out how to do it...Then I noticed something as I was watching FR and waiting for it to crash....It only seemed to crash, (on my computer anyway), on songs with titles greater than 29 characters including spaces. in otherwords if FR row is scrolling the title so all the title can be read and is flipping album art at the same time it crashes....I can only verify this on my computer...I have reduced all song titles to 29 characters at most (including spaces!!) so there is no more scrolling....and now there is NO MORE CRASHES either....I did quiet like the scrolling though...oh wel,l we will have to wait for a fix.....Can anyone else let me know if this works for them to?

10. kunze50 macrumors regular

This is very interesting! I'll have to give it a try.

11. rexamafex macrumors member

Please apple fix this bug:(

Its so embarrassing when your showing off your Mac with FR and it crashes. It just seems so windows

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I'm bumping this thread for justice. I have contacted Apple about this matter with a very polite e-mail. Have not heard from them. I used AppDelete and removed Front Row, then slipped in my OS X backup disk to reinstall the application. Problem still persists exactly how the original poster described even with a fresh new installation of Front Row.

OS X 10.5.2, Macbook Pro

13. Cairde macrumors newbie

Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 released on the 11th Feb 2008. The first post about the FR problem was the start of March. Any body not updated the graphics driver experiencing this problem? If I knew how to undo the update I would check it out, but I don't. I wonder. Just a thought maybe I'm wrong.

P.s Front row still hasn't crashed on me since I've been avoiding song titles that scroll.

14. breachy51 macrumors newbie

How long will the fix take?

As was said before it is incredibly embarrassing to be showing off your fancy new mac with remote to have it crash on you, it was reasons like this that I went from PC to Mac. It seems such a basic problem, front row is essentially just a media player, how can they get much trickier stuff right and this is rubbish?

With all the money we pay for our gear and software to go with, and applecare, I feel like problems like this really shouldn't happen and if they do, the fix should be quick and easy. Please let me know if any of you guys have any luck with solutions, I'd love to hear from apple about this aswell tbh.

I use front row all the time so im a bit cheesed off really, where's the updates and the fixes? Maybe apple aren't whiter than white after all...

Thanks, Tim

15. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10.5.3 is out, though I didn't see any Front Row fixes on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1141

I bet it's still broken. Will post again later with my finding.

16. rexamafex macrumors member

17. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

18. Cairde macrumors newbie

Front Row ALWAYS Crashes

I can't get 10.5.3 to install so I don't know if it will fix front row on my MAC

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

10.5.3 did not fix the issue as described in the first post.

20. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I think with all the switchers, Apple decided to make Leopard really buggy to ease the transition from Windows to OS X.

Eventually SNOW Leopard will come out, the real version of Leopard.

My Tiger front row runs fine. :D

But I feel bad for the people showing FR off and having it crash. This is what happens when Apple puts all its best resources into the iPhone.

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I can play DVDs and watch Quicktime movie files without error. The music part is what's broken. :(

22. espressoroast macrumors member

espressoroast

I am having the exact same problem with both my 2.2 MBP and 2.0 MB.

The suggestion about track titles is very intriguing, avoiding long track names might be a 'solution' (actually it's a just a way to avoid it) but I find the mere existence of such a bug simply ridiculous.
    And not fixing it for so long? Come on, I love using front row on my LCD Tv and such random and pointless hang-ups is so not a part of OSX experience.

23. rexamafex macrumors member

Does anyone know if OS X 10.5.4 fixed this problem?

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It did not.

25. ophidean macrumors member

I'm still having this same problem. Anyone know a fix?