Frozen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iamskier, Jan 3, 2010.

1. iamskier macrumors member

I go skiing almost every night and every time I go my phone gets too cold and turns off like it has no battery. When I get in my car and my phone warms up a little it registers back to full battery. Should i bring my phone to apple?

2. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

No, if you're skiing, that means you're somewhere where the temperature is below freezing. and on apple's site, it says that the minimum operating temperature is 32degrees farenheit (sorry if I butchered that)

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Actually, that's normal. It's a general rule with batteries. Cold weather kills battery performance and life. Obviously a skiing trip will mean your phone will loose charge faster than expected, but that's well within what a battery does.

All I can recommend is keep it in a warm place.

4. iamskier thread starter macrumors member

5. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    now mind you i don't go skiing every night, just a few times a week, along with snowmobiling couple of times a week (sometimes daily/nightly) and have never had a problem.....
    I keep my phone in the inside jacket pocket....... (in a otterbox defender)... I know that area is no where near 32degrees while skiing/snowmobiling....

i would say if its in an inside pocket next to your body then you probably have a battery problem....... i guess the key is that it is by the body where all the heat is...... (sometimes i even wrap it in a paper towel for condensation purposes)

6. calvy macrumors 65816

I got home from a trip tonight, and when I arrived at my house, I got out of the car, and apparently my iPhone fell from my pocket onto the curb into a pile of leaves. I did not notice this, and proceeded to unload and go into the house. It was 10 degrees F when the phone was dropped. About 45 minutes later, I went to take the trash out, and heard one of the alarms i had set on my iPhone going off. I followed the noise and realized my iPhone had been sitting in a pile of leaves since I had been home! I picked it up, it has no water damage or anything, but the battery was barely alive. I recall it being in the 80% range before I dropped it. It was at 18% when I found it.

So yes, cold does a number on your battery. It's 6 right now. I'm going to crawl in a warm bed now.

7. jonepark macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I was trying to unlock my 1.1.2 OTB with i.unlock.no,the phone got jailbreak and even unlock but the touch screen does not respond.I cannot even reboot or even when I put it on charge the charge sign also doesnt show up.what might be the problem with this.Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

8. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Be careful of putting it in an inside pocket without protecting it.

When I got snowboarding the phone will often come out of my inside jacket pocket covered in condensation on the case. This could trip the moisture sensors

9. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Am I missing something? How is this related to cold iPhones?:confused: