Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HawaiiHereICome

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2007
first of all...

I am a recent apple-convert. My Macbook Pro C2D was my first apple computer I used. I bought it last september and until this recent update I have had no software issues. So don't be scared, this doesn't happen that often. I have not reinstalled OS im just waiting for apple to fix my kernal panics and network drops cuz 10.4.10 was the cause I'm assuming. I have Windows XP on Boot Camp and have no network problems so its a software mishap. But don't be concerned of buying a mac, I've had few problems. But you'll get problems with any computer you have...

the fact is you'll love your mac and will want to fix it, when with my past Windows laptops I jsut wanted to throw it out the window...

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
the fact is you'll love your mac and will want to fix it, when with my past Windows laptops I jsut wanted to throw it out the window...

Yes, there is a very different user-end feel to OS X and Apple products. A Windows box feels like it's a tool for you to do work, but a Mac feels like it's part of your entertainment/free time life as well.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
To be honest, I don't have any problems with Windows XP. Really. I'm only switching because I've heard so many good things about Mac OS from so many ex-PC users that I figure "Why not give it a try"... but the current problems do concern me a bit.

generally, I think xp works fine, but there are many many little annoyances that get in your way when you're using it. Compared to Mac os, I find windows to be very obtrusive, not to mention that when something goes wrong it seems much much more difficult to fix. To me, macos is a much friendlier OS that doesn't get in your way and just allows you to do your thing in a smooth and efficient way.

It's hard to quantify, but there is a very significant qualitative difference between the two.

Also, in terms of bugs and kernel panics - out of all the problems I've had the past two years, none have been software glitches. In fact, I think the OS is incredibly stable and have only experienced a few kernel panics that turned out to be related to a poorly installed RAM module - my fault.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
It's hard to quantify, but there is a very significant qualitative difference between the two.

I'll quantify it for you: one's perdyier:D Seriously though, OS X is more fun to use. You're right; it's very hard to explain why in an objective way.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I'll quantify it for you: one's perdyier:D Seriously though, OS X is more fun to use. You're right; it's very hard to explain why in an objective way.

Yeah, much more fun to use. I love using OS X and that's what makes me stay with Apple hardware.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
I can't. I need to wait and see if a smaller Macbook Pro is coming out. That's what I'd really like (mostly due to the Macbooks being so heavy and only coming with Glossy screens).

If I knew they were NOT coming out soon I'd buy something now. Unfortunately there's no way to know... so I gotta wait and see. :(

Who gave you any info about that? i never heared about it..

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Hi guys,

many thanks for the replies, appreciate that. I'm in Australia, so we don't have genius bars or help desks in the stores, as such. But I can drop off the machines and have them looked at.

Also, to those guys coming to mac for the first time, please don't be disheartened. I have been a mac user for 15 years, and 98% of that has been VERY positive.

Its just been these last 4 macs that have been causing me grief!

I will be taking the macs up to my local store probably on the weekend.

Cheers,

Scottie

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007

Well i read it,its really doesnt worth the wait and living for quit long time with a stupid pc...12'' screen?? holy crap it would make me go insane and i will lost my sight in 2hours XD..its really small screen thats tottaly useless IMO.=\ .... the mb was enough for me but im getting the mbp cause that 13'' thing is pretty small..i cant even see anything even i have a perfect sight...

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
...12'' screen?? holy crap it would make me go insane and i will lost my sight in 2hours...
My guess is it will be a 13.3" MBP, not 12.

The Macbooks will most likely get LED screens. If Apple does introduce a smaller MBP (and why not?) it would make financial sense for them to use the same 13.3" LED screens in both the MBs and the MBPs.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Well i read it,its really doesnt worth the wait and living for quit long time with a stupid pc...12'' screen?? holy crap it would make me go insane and i will lost my sight in 2hours XD..its really small screen thats tottaly useless IMO.=\ .... the mb was enough for me but im getting the mbp cause that 13'' thing is pretty small..i cant even see anything even i have a perfect sight...

the relative resolution is the same so everyting will be the same size. They need an ultraportable to crack the Asian market.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Hey all, just thought I would catch everyone up and let them know how I went with my issues.

Apple are fixing the macbook that won't boot up for free. It turns out it was only 1 month out of warrantee when it died.

Apple are also replacing the battery for free on the other mac book.

So it leaves my macbook pro and wife's macbook still stuck with wireless dropouts and multiple kernel panics a day.. but it seems pretty clear it's caused by 10.4.10. I'm going to bare with the problems until an update becomes available.

Cheers,

Scottie

polycat33

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Alexandria, VA
If you really think 10.4.10 is the culprit I'd reinstall the OS... you said something about their suggestion to reinstall the OS and how if you weren't computer savvy you might feel uncomfortable going into the whole backup and reinstall thing... but if you ARE computer savvy I think it's definitely worth doing it and avoiding the 10.4.10 update to get rid of the kernel panics and wireless dropouts.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The 13.3" Sony SZ Premium is a great laptop. And it only weighs 3.7 lbs.

Speaking as a former SZ460 owner, I'd like to chime in on that.

I'll admit that overall, it is a nice laptop, especially for the weight (although the annoying typical bulky power adapter takes away some of the advantage), but it isn't GREAT.

First, like almost all S and SZ series laptops, and many other Vaios, it has a loose battery. This is a problem that has been plaguing Vaios for a while now and they seem incapable of fixing it. So it basically rattles around all the time.

Second; the keyboards on the SZ are frankly terrible. Sony seems to have wised up with their other models, replacing the keyboards on the CR and TZ series (replacement for C and TX series) with a different style of keyboard (first used by Sony on the X505, and similar to the current MacBook keyboard), but they seem to be keeping the same terrible keyboard for the new SZ6xx series.

Third; Vista itself is still a dog. When I had my SZ460, the cores were constantly active, and all the crapware they bundle suck.

On top of that, Sony's own software didn't work well; the software for managing the wireless connections was flakey at best (would say you were disconnected when you weren't, etc.). And the Vaio Update stuff wouldn't work; trying to run the Vaio updater would give errors, etc.

I will say that the SZ did have some things in its favor; the ability to switch between integrated and dedicated graphics is ingenius, and I wish other laptop makers would duplicate it. Also, the battery life, especially with the long life battery, was quite good.

And the LED-backlit screen on the SZ was beautiful.

But I will just say it's not what I'd call a "great" laptop. It has too many flaws and issues at this point. Some of them are things Sony has control over, like the loose batteries and junky keyboard and their own buggy software. The Vista stuff is more a matter for MS to take up though.

-Zadillo

AkiNikoTanTan

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
I think apple does have very real quality control problems. However, I have a C2D 2.16 MBP, and it has been amazing. Yeah, few quirks here and there, but awesome noentheless. If i were you, I would do what you said, take them all in at once, and go through all your problems with them. You may just have a bum airport in your macbook pro. Logic boards are replaced quite easily. The heat sink could also be an issue, they were redesigned on the new macbooks because they caused shutdowns on the CD ones. Apple should take care of those things quite easily. Make sure you make an appointment, and maybe call them to let them know the scope of what you are doing, I'm sure they aren't used to diagnosing 4 computers at once. Im sure they will take care of you, they have always been good to me.

i am also a new switcher for a couple of months, i also owned a 2.16 MBP, great stuff, not much problems seriously..didnt know the SR MBP is so troublesome, maybe need to wait til rev B or later to get one :)

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Zadillo, which Mac replaced your SZ460? How does it compare?

And how do you like the Mac overall?

Oh, how do the screens compare?

Haven't gotten a replacement yet, but almost definitely getting an MBP. I've sort of been holding off a) while waiting to hear about the resolution of some of the screen issues some people have mentioned and b) just to see if Apple does finally release the long-rumoured ultraportable MBP.

I did have the previous gen C2D MBP, and frankly absolutely loved it (only reason I returned it was because of the uneven backlighting issues).

At least from my experience with the SR MBP's in the stores, they seem excellent. I haven't really seen any major problems with the screens, and they definitely do seem like an improvement (much brighter and crisper, comparing very favorably with the backlight on the SZ). But of course, I've read all the threads, so clearly not everyone would agree with that, at least with the people who have gotten bad screens.

I'll admit, I had also briefly been considering other laptops as well, but it's OS X that keeps be coming back. Stuff like the Dell XPSM1330 sort of appeals to me, but Vista is just such a turnoff for me (it's what really ruined the SZ for me).

I was watching some youtube videos people made of the Leopard beta, and they reminded me why I'd much rather get a MBP as my next laptop as well.

-Zadillo

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Haven't gotten a replacement yet, but almost definitely getting an MBP. I've sort of been holding off a) while waiting to hear about the resolution of some of the screen issues some people have mentioned and b) just to see if Apple does finally release the long-rumoured ultraportable MBP.
I too am very interested in the ultraportable MBP. In fact, it's one of the only things holding me back from buying a MPB right now.

I wish Apple would just tell us whether or not it's coming. If so, I'll wait -- but if not, I'll buy the MBP now.

I was watching some youtube videos people made of the Leopard beta, and they reminded me why I'd much rather get a MBP as my next laptop as well.
Got any links? ;)

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I too am very interested in the ultraportable MBP. In fact, it's one of the only things holding me back from buying a MPB right now.

I wish Apple would just tell us whether or not it's coming. If so, I'll wait -- but if not, I'll buy the MBP now.

Got any links? ;)

Heh, not sure if it's safe to link directly to. But suffice to say, searching for "os x leopard" at you tube will do the trick.

-Zadillo

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
Will do. I just thought there might be some in particular worth watching.

Thanks for your help. If you hear anything about the mini-MBP, let me know! :)

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Hi all.

Before I begin, let me express that I am a life-long apple user, mac fanboy, and evangelist. I couldn't count how many people I have made switch to macs, but rest assured I have made Apple computer well over a quarter of a million dollars in business because of the advice I have given people, and the endless rants about how great Mac computers are..

I hope you sent an invoice to Apple for that.;) That will make up for the problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.