Frustrated with iPad data allowances

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Oct 28, 2012.

1. tl01, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2012

tl01 macrumors 65816

Why is it so darn hard to get a reasonable amount if data for iPads?! I have three iPads, two of them for my kids. Getting three data plans is ridiculous but using my iPad 3 as a hotspot on Verizon gets me like 7 minutes of data if my kids are streaming silly Netflix videos. My mom has unlimited on her iPad and would let me assume her account but that doesn't help my kids iPads. Why can't they offer a reasonable amount of data? I'd even take 3G data at this point as long as streaming can take place.

2. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Can you blame Verizon for taking advantage of people that allow themselves to be so easily taken advantage of? Here's an idea, don't give your kids LTE iPads. Give them a Kindle.

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Streaming is not a good idea on metered data plans. Try wifi or loading videos on your kids iPads through itunes and USB...

4. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Uh, you can pay for more data...

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

how old are your kids? Personally, I would never get a kid anything other than a wifi only until they were old enough to work.

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Seriously. Plan ahead and download your media while you're in a wifi covered area like your home. If you're going to treat money like it's no object, then don't complain. If it's a source of squeeze, then find better alternatives. There are other providers that can offer shows and movies besides Netflix.

Also, the carriers are out there to take your money, they're not here to make you feel warm and fuzzy.

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I do pay for more data. Thanks for the helpful tip.

----------

Totally unhelpful. Plus they have iPad 2s.. Not LTE iPads.

----------

How is it cheaper to buy endless videos if they don't want to watch them very many times? I'm not treating money likes it's no object. Hence the frustration. Much of what my kids watch is hard to get for download. We don't buy dvd's anymore.

----------

There's are wifi... But we travel via car a lot and let them use the hotspot on mine when we are traveling.

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly... I don't want metered anymore! I'm willing to pay more... There's just no decent option for unmetered.

I'd have to buy all the content which is expensive too.

9. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Clearly you aren't. If you wanted more data you could change to a share everything plan, which includes tethering, and pay the overages if you go over your monthly allotment. You are just choosing to piss and moan.

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As long as demand outstrips supply the big carriers have little incentive or need to offer bargains.

Just copy a couple of movies onto their iPads or Angry Birds before the trip. Better yet get them to read an ebook.

Best thing I got on a long trip as a kid if I behaved was Ice Cream.

11. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I'd say its as simple as the fact that AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint have no motivation to be reasonable. They all more or less offer the same plans, so shopping one against the other doesn't offer any real solution.

12. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Since you don't see my wireless bill... I ask you not to comment on it. I want a reasonable amount or a reasonable price. I think the prices are outrageous. I have no desire for shared data bc we would have lots of devices and it wouldn't end up making sense... We have many phone lines with "unlimited".

13. steve dave macrumors 6502a

So again, your problem isn't that you can't get the amount of data you want, it is you whining about how much it costs.

14. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Reasonable quantity for reasonable price. Another countries have better prices... Why can't we?

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Because we keep paying for it. Like movie tickets. Everyone complains when the price goes up but we still keep going. If we took next summer off from the Movies in protest, maybe prices would go down.

16. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't go to the movies. That costs way too much. Movie tickets, refreshments, and a babysitter. Nah... Skip it... Netflix later!

17. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Move if it is a benefit to you.

18. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Your original post was complaining that it is too hard to get the data you want. When it was pointed out that it is actually pretty easy to get data then you started bitching about the cost. Stop whining and either cut back your usage or pay for it.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

And god forbid its in 3d! I couldn't believe how much I paid with the two kids last time.

20. njean777 macrumors 6502

Really him complaining is not the problem, he wants cheaper data which is actually what all of us should be complaining about. The US wireless carriers rip us off royally for data. 1gb does not, and should never cost 15$.

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Ripping who off?
    The 100million or so souls who willingly go to the carriers and ask to pay their rates for it. Carriers are just responding to what consumers are telling them with their wallets.

22. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, okay... That's a great idea. Surely that will be cheaper than paying for more data.

23. Orange Crane macrumors 6502

Weigh your options and choose one. Including sucking it up and paying what your lifestyle costs. Too much? Earn more.

24. sectime macrumors 6502a

Have you checked this option?
    http://www.millenicom.com