Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Anyone else completely frustrated with this jailbreak. I just got my i-touch and there is so many different videos,posts etc about it. I can not figure out what to do, I have the version 1.1.2, and I just saw the post about they created a new way or what not. But now people are complaining about their problems....

I want jailbreak installed already!!!! lol

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
It really is. Just remember, if you're using iTunes on a Mac, you need to Command-Click (not Shift-Click like the video says) on the Check for Update button (assuming you have 1.1.2) to get 1.1.1 on there. Also, make sure you use Firefox to download 1.1.1. Those are the only clarifications I would make.

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
It really is. Just remember, if you're using iTunes on a Mac, you need to Command-Click (not Shift-Click like the video says) on the Check for Update button (assuming you have 1.1.2) to get 1.1.1 on there. Also, make sure you use Firefox to download 1.1.1. Those are the only clarifications I would make.

I am on a MAC, so I need to install firefox now? Sorry for all the questions, Im a noob to MAC

Bean, one more question. How long do you suggest I charge my itouch , so it is FULLY charged.

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
You don't have to use Firefox if you don't want to, just go to Safari preferences and turn off 'Open Safe Files After Downloading'. If it's a .zip file, once it's downloaded just rename it so that the .zip is no longer there and so that it end in '_Restore.ipsw'
As for charging, it will usually take around 2-3 hours to fully charge but will speed charge to 80% in about 1.5

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
You don't have to use Firefox if you don't want to, just go to Safari preferences and turn off 'Open Safe Files After Downloading'. If it's a .zip file, once it's downloaded just rename it so that the .zip is no longer there and so that it end in '_Restore.ipsw'
As for charging, it will usually take around 2-3 hours to fully charge but will speed charge to 80% in about 1.5

What he said. I just preferred to use Firefox because I already had it installed.

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Once again, that you for everything.. Hopefully by 8 tonight, I will have this completed

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Good luck, it's definitely worth it and remember, you *can't* go wrong, and if you do somehow manage it, a simple restore will have you back on the road ;)

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
I am very excited. I was checking out the springboard post, and some people have AWESOME!!!! icons on there..

I just need to get jailbreak first

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
i dowloaded the 1.1.1 saved it on desktop .. opened itunes and renamed the folder so it says iPod1,1_1_Restore.ipsw

then i dont know which folder to click to extract .. there is 4 files and 1 folder that says firmware, that has other files

please help

attached are all the files i see..

Picture4.png

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
Ah, when you downloaded the file did you unzip it? What you should have done is just rename the file so that the .zip is removed, just re-download the file and try again :)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

OPTION-CLICK works for me on the Mac, not sure about command-click.

Ah, when you downloaded the file did you unzip it? What you should have done is just rename the file so that the .zip is removed, just re-download the file and try again :)

If the file automatically de-compress, then look in the trash for the zip file.

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
it just told me I am running out of space.. i have installed nes,iradio,sudoku,apollo,maps,weather,mail,notes..

any suggestions

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
?
Have you retried the jailbreak?

yes i broke it.. and installed the applications above in my other post.. Just wondering if i am really running out of room, I seen other users with more applications then me

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
yes i broke it.. and installed the applications above in my other post.. Just wondering if i am really running out of room, I seen other users with more applications then me

Yeah, there is only 300MB set aside for the all the system files and the 3rd party apps and so to get around this space limit, follow this guide. Followed and worked perfectly here, it's all explained in the thread :)

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
Yeah, there is only 300MB set aside for the all the system files and the 3rd party apps and so to get around this space limit, follow this guide. Followed and worked perfectly here, it's all explained in the thread :)

since i have a MAC i dled, the putty.zip file( not sure if that is correct)

I unzipped it, but am clueless on part 2

Code:
mv /Applications /private/var/Applications

like10thousand

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007

Got an answer to my prev question! Thanks, you guys rock.
A

Slip

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2007
Wiltshire, England
since i have a MAC i dled, the putty.zip file( not sure if that is correct)

I unzipped it, but am clueless on part 2

Code:
mv /Applications /private/var/Applications

Yeah it's Windows only, well thats all I could find anyway :/
Im not sure if there's a Mac alternative
And as for the code, all you do is simply copy and paste that into Putty, if you have it installed that is :(

Got an answer to my prev question! Thanks, you guys rock.
A

Well, not quite rock but anyways :rolleyes:

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You don't need Putty, you can SSH into your iPod with Terminal.

To do so, open Terminal and enter-

ssh -l root 123.456.789.123

(but enter your iPod's IP address instead of '123.456.789.123')

It will ask you for the root password for your iPod, and then you're in and can enter the actual commands to modify your directories.

If it all goes to pot, you can always restore and re-jailbreak. But you should be just fine.

toonz diggler

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2007
You don't need Putty, you can SSH into your iPod with Terminal.

To do so, open Terminal and enter-

ssh -l root 123.456.789.123

(but enter your iPod's IP address instead of '123.456.789.123')

It will ask you for the root password for your iPod, and then you're in and can enter the actual commands to modify your directories.

If it all goes to pot, you can always restore and re-jailbreak. But you should be just fine.

im a noob... I have no idea, what terminal means ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.