Frustrating Mac purchase predicament

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seanuhthin, Jul 7, 2010.

1. seanuhthin macrumors member

seanuhthin

I just really need advice for my issue. I own a high end gaming pc that was custom built.
    My craigslist post http://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/1829300118.html

I have decided I would like to purchase an i5 15 inch Macbook pro, which we all know is 1799.
    My issue, is I can't manage to get a bite on craigslist! I listed this computer at 1700, and I am willing to negotiate with people, however lightly. Being that this is my current desktop, and I do use it for Graphic design, and Gaming sometimes, and that it has an i7 processor, I can't understand why no one is interested!

The most frustrating part is knowing that I will most likely end up with just enough money for a 13 inch, maybe not even that, and know that it will go into a less powerful computer than what I had before. This new Mac will be my main computer, so does anyone have any tips for how I can sell my desktop for a reasonable price that will get me a decent amount of cash to work with to get a Macbook pro?

If not should I consider the purchase of a lower priced mac product?

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Maybe because your craigslist ad is so cluttered with information?

You basically wrote a giant paragraph, followed by a giant numeric statistic sheet.

Not to mention, you have no pictures of what your selling, which makes it even harder to care about what you're trying to sell.

Keep your ad short and to the point, and have a set of pictures to help the potential buyer decide. No one wants to read a whole story, they just want to know if they're buying something worthwhile.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I say keep your PC for powerhungry stuff, and then save some money and get a MacBook or MacBook Pro 13.

4. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

I was thinking this too... I only did that because I know that I prefer to have the facts laid out for me when I go to make a purchase, so I can check up on the information myself. I will surely make this change thanks for the advice

5. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Here's some more advice:

When making your ad, lay out the basic information. In fact, if you just tidy up the second half of your ad, and add some pictures, I'm sure you'll get more responses.

No need to add the price tags to every item. Just tell them that the entire set would normally cost about $2400, but you would like to sell it for $1700, which is about a $700 discount from retail.

Details are unnecessary, because that's what your contact information is for. If they need to know/want to buy, they will call or email.

6. advres Guest

advres

Selling a perfectly good laptop to downgrade to a 13" is stupid. Save some dough, THEN sell your current lappy and get the MBP you really want.

7. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

I have some decent pictures, problem is when they upload they are incredibly small. I guess my main question is, should I have trouble getting 1700 or around that?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Cannot sell pc does not equal = frustrating mac purchase predicament

9. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

Part of the question is if I should consider buying a lower priced macbook, however not specified. Thanks for the help. I'll go specify that immediately so no one has to go through the trouble of reminding me...

10. uPhone macrumors regular

upload to photobucket and copy paste html link into craigslist ad

post as many pictures as possible.. youtube video would be a nice touch

don't write in big paragraphs.. space things out.

give as many ways as contact as possible.. AIM/email/call/text

convince them that your PC is the best

be patient.

i've sold many things on craigslist.

but keep in mind.. people who have $1700 to spend on a computer probably wouldn't buy it off craigslist.

other alternatives.. try ebay.. try selling individual components? don't know if that would be smart but could be

11. southparksteve macrumors member

PCs aren't worth cr@p

I tried to sell a few PCs on C/L when I switched to Mac. I had a Dell quad-core desktop with 2 monitors, etc, Sony Vaio Laptop (paid $1999 for it originally). The bottom line is that they are not worth anything. I eventually got about $500 for the quad core and $300 for the Vaio, after negotiating HARD.

The only computers which hold their value presently are Apples.

12. uPhone macrumors regular

yeah I'm actually finding that out too. I'm currently switching to mac.. the resell value was a huge + in my decision to switch so I can upgrade later down the road for pretty cheap.

hopefully i'll like the macs.. lots of my friends just switched and they aren't that impressed so far.. but I think it's just readjusting at first.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

lost in the mud that is craigslist. nothing stands out, just another "awesome system". But know what? Selling ANYTHING these days is a lat harder than it used to be. good luck.

14. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

Well, I have made my changes. yes now my inbox is flooded with countless spam.

15. southparksteve macrumors member

I switched back in December and haven't looked back. My Dad also got one (he is pushing 70) and wasn't quite as impressed but that is because he hasn't really figured it all out yet. By now he is about 85% of the way there which is pretty impressive for someone his age.

The biggest drawback for me was the constant crashes (3 - 4 per day) plus mouse didn't work on the Dell anymore (wouldn't recognize ANY mouse), and the Sony mouse started going backwards on the trackpad.

Bottom line is that reselling technology like that doesn't go to well. Hopefully you can get top dollar for it but it will be tough. I had to post my laptop 7 times on CL before it finally sold.

16. koruki macrumors 6502a

koruki

I hope its not a suprise to you that a PC doesn't sell for much =) The Macs however do fetch a lot even after a long period of use, and they go fast. I sold my previous 2008 MBP at a great price and the bidders really fought for it.

17. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

Nearly everything that is on here is irrelevant to my question. Can one single person help me, a pc user, switch to mac?

18. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Way to insult the people you're trying to get help from. Not our fault you can't sell your "high-end gaming pc".

As people have posted, PC's do not easily resell for whatever value you have originally purchased them for. They depreciate in value easily, because newer PC's that are faster and stronger come out so quickly.

You're looking for $1700, but honestly, you're going to be hard pressed to find a buyer.

Either lower your price, or get a cheaper Mac product. Look into refurbs if you consider it an option.

19. seanuhthin thread starter macrumors member

seanuhthin

I apologize for the insult, as the title suggests, it's frustrating to know I payed so much for my machine only to figure out 3 months later its not worth half of original price. Thank you for the advice. I guess I won't be enjoying a new Macbook pro any time soon.