Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
This is a rant! Sorry mods if this is the wrong place but I want to recap what I'm sure many people are feeling.

Ok so today once again while working from home my brand new shiny gorgeous iphone12pro completely lost service and would not allow me to make any outbound calls lol.
I also have been missing mms and sms messages from my 6 month pregnant wife in our family group message, she is an android user.

So it got me thinking. Since I upgraded my iPhone X software then upgraded the phone I have had nothing but issues. Losing service, missing sms and mms texts, not being able to make outbound calls.

All the while Apple sits there tells me to reset network settings blah blah blah and to call my service provider. Then I call the service provider and they tell me to call Apple.

Yes it looks like I am complaining about something insignificant compared to the issues in the world but I find it incredibly frustrating paying a premium for a product that doesn't even work properly and then getting ZERO answers.

Anyone with me :rolleyes:

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
With some carriers there have been major issues. Verizon has had issues and some have found getting a new SIM directly from them has fixed the issue. IMO - I believe it is a provider issue as I do believe not all were ready for the iPhone 12 series and 5G. Some carriers charge extra to provide access to their 5G network and I do think there is an issue with how they are setting up the 12's.

I am on Sprint/T-Mobile - my SIM is Sprint. I have had no issues and have even better coverage than I had with my Xs Max.

If a new SIM does not work I would return the phone. There is no excuse for not getting calls and text - especially with a pregnant wife. Oh, and congratulations!!!

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
This is a rant! Sorry mods if this is the wrong place but I want to recap what I'm sure many people are feeling.

Ok so today once again while working from home my brand new shiny gorgeous iphone12pro completely lost service and would not allow me to make any outbound calls lol.
I also have been missing mms and sms messages from my 6 month pregnant wife in our family group message, she is an android user.

So it got me thinking. Since I upgraded my iPhone X software then upgraded the phone I have had nothing but issues. Losing service, missing sms and mms texts, not being able to make outbound calls.

All the while Apple sits there tells me to reset network settings blah blah blah and to call my service provider. Then I call the service provider and they tell me to call Apple.

Yes it looks like I am complaining about something insignificant compared to the issues in the world but I find it incredibly frustrating paying a premium for a product that doesn't even work properly and then getting ZERO answers.

Anyone with me :rolleyes:

Yes, I’m with you. With my issue of not getting notified of text messages, and Apple’s refusal to acknowledge the issue, I’m starting to lose faith in their “it just works” motto.

Reactions: whattodo11

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Given the health concerns of your wife’s health, (re: pregnancy) you need to contact Apple again and let them know that you tried reset all settings, setting up as new, and recovery mode, and none of those things work. Your case should be escalated to engineering. Don’t let Apple toss you aside. If nothing else, demand a new phone.

In the mean time, consider getting a cheap throw way Android phone to use while your wife is pregnant. You can’t afford to miss texts or calls from her.

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
You’re not alone. I’m a Verizon customer and upgraded to the 12 from a XS primarily for better reception in weak signal areas, i.e. where I work. While I do get better LTE reception, I am now seeing an intermittent no service status that is remedied by toggling Airplane mode. Hoping for a software patch to resolve this. Maybe a new SIM card if this takes too long.

Madtiger27

Suspended
Nov 17, 2020
You’re not alone. I’m a Verizon customer and upgraded to the 12 from a XS primarily for better reception in weak signal areas, i.e. where I work. While I do get better LTE reception, I am now seeing an intermittent no service status that is remedied by toggling Airplane mode. Hoping for a software patch to resolve this. Maybe a new SIM card if this takes too long.
If you have not already, you need to call Verizon. You need a new SIM card compatible with their 5G network .

Reactions: absprb

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
With some carriers there have been major issues. Verizon has had issues and some have found getting a new SIM directly from them has fixed the issue. IMO - I believe it is a provider issue as I do believe not all were ready for the iPhone 12 series and 5G. Some carriers charge extra to provide access to their 5G network and I do think there is an issue with now they are setting up the 12's.

I am on Sprint/T-Mobile - my SIM is Sprint. I have had no issues and have even better coverage than I had with my Xs Max.

If a new SIM does not work I would return the phone. There is no excuse for not getting calls and text - especially with a pregnant wife. Oh, and congratulations!!!
So when I had all these issues activating this phone they did give me a new sim. Phone seemed to work ok for a few days. Now this past few days it has been awful! And thanks we are over the moon happy!

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Yes, I’m with you. With my issue of not getting notified of text messages, and Apple’s refusal to acknowledge the issue, I’m starting to lose faith in their “it just works” motto.
It's so maddening. I just got off with Apple support and they don't even know if it is hardware or software related. They want me to reinstall the software from a computer but I don't have a cable to plug my new phone into my older MacBook Pro. Incredibly frustrating

Reactions: mjschabow

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I’m wondering if it’s location dependent because that would suggest a 5G problem.
My 12 Pro phone works great except in one outdoor shopping center that I’ve noticed. I can’t send or receive email, can’t surf the web. Can’t do a anything even though it shows 5G with full signal. If I turn off the 5G on the phone everything works again.
And this problem only happens in this one relatively small area. Everywhere else I just leave the 5G set to 5G auto.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
It seems crazy to me that we have to toggle airplane mode on and off to make a call don't you!????? I already got a new SIM card same issues

absprb

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2016
Boston
If you have not already, you need to call Verizon. You need a new SIM card compatible with their 5G network .

Maybe it’s just a lemon? Something that went wrong during the manufacturing process of your device.
I would let Apple know that it’s just not working-up to Apple’s standards that they always advertise. You paid hard earned dollars and you deserve a cellphone device without any issues at all. Stand firm.
Don’t let them get away with another glitch. You have more important things that have priority, like a wife expecting a new baby!
Get a new one. You and yours have far more important issues than worrying about a possible Apple issue.
Either way, get the new product. No sweat on Apples part, they can handle it.
Best of luck.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I've already done this and paid an addtl $10 per month for the 5g network :rolleyes: No eye roll at you that's directed at Apple and Verizon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madtiger27

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe it’s just a lemon? Something that went wrong during the manufacturing process of your device.
I would let Apple know that it’s just not working-up to Apple’s standards that they always advertise. You paid hard earned dollars and you deserve a cellphone device without any issues at all. Stand firm.
Don’t let them get away with another glitch. You have more important things that have priority, like a wife expecting a new baby!
Get a new one. You and yours have far more important issues than worrying about a possible Apple issue.
Either way, get the new product. No sweat on Apples part, they can handle it.
Best of luck.
So he Sr Advisor from Apple said they can't replace my phone under warranty until they install new software which I can't do from my MacBook because I don't have the cable to plug my phone into the MacBook. So he advised to purchase the cable lol then he will call me back and try to install the new software and if that doesn't work he will replace the phone. OMG this is INSANE!

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Sounds like you got the trifecta! Ouch ? Some of us have seen issues like this in betas.
Like many hear suggested, hit your Carrier for a new Sim, then hit Apple. Have them do an exchange and setup. Your medical concern should garner some help.

I do like the idea of a backup device especially in your situation.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's so maddening. I just got off with Apple support and they don't even know if it is hardware or software related. They want me to reinstall the software from a computer but I don't have a cable to plug my new phone into my older MacBook Pro. Incredibly frustrating

I finally told them “no” I’m not doing the same troubleshooting steps.

absprb

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2016
Boston
I've already done this and paid an addtl $10 per month for the 5g network :rolleyes: No eye roll at you that's directed at Apple and Verizon.

What a bummah! What a sh*t storm!
What an awful experience! Still, shame on VZW AND Apple! Either way, one of them should have stepped up to the plate and just swapped the da@n thing out. Nice and easy. These two companies are starting to forget who made them successful in the first place.
I declare, customer service for these companies have declined in the past ten years or so.
As I said before, best of luck.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
Before you all blame Apple I believe the issue lies with verizon. My dad and a few friends of mine all have had issue since they turned on there 5G network. I’m the only one with a 12, my dad has the Xr and a friend has a s20+ so it’s not just the iPhone 12’s. I put the issue in Verizon’s hands not Apple. Another friend exchanged his iPhone 12 and still has the same issue

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Before you all blame Apple I believe the issue lies with verizon. My dad and a few friends of mine all have had issue since they turned on there 5G network. I’m the only one with a 12, my dad has the Xr and a friend has a s20+ so it’s not just the iPhone 12’s. I put the issue in Verizon’s hands not Apple. Another friend exchanged his iPhone 12 and still has the same issue
This is very good intel and I too think it lies with Verizon. I don't see how it could be a hardware issue.

Last edited:

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Ok well I have an open case with Apple and I also restored from my MacBook Pro so let's see if this helps. My guess is it won't but gotta do all the steps?‍♂️

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I’m skeptical a new SIM card will fix the issue, but it’s worth a try. It’s a Verizon phone from Apple, so it included a new SIM card. I’ll call Verizon and see what they suggest. I agree that a new device should not be inconvenient to use but I am confident the issue will be addressed, hopefully sooner than later. If it’s not resolved by January 8th, then it goes back to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.