Fuji X1 Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by robbieduncan, Jan 9, 2012.

1. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No. APS-C.

4. cube macrumors G5

It looks very nice, but what I want from Fujifilm is a serious 3D camera (and usable in the sun!!!)

Once you go 3D, you don't want to shoot anymore only in 2D. You get 2D for free when you always shoot in 3D.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

No, I did not consider that. The link will be there when you get home. Don't roll your eyes at me! :rolleyes:

----------

Here you go:

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_pro1/

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmxpro1/

It looks really, really nice. The lens mount seems so much better designed than the NEX one allowing smaller lenses that should suffer less falloff and still cover an APS-C sensor. The controls look right (almost, I'd put the aperture rings at the front of the lenses Leica style but that's because I have a couple of rangefinders). Most of all the sensor looks very clever and the lack of low-pass filter should result in really sharp images.

Shame the price is going to be so high (I've seen both $1300 and $1700 estimated for the body and about $600 each for the lenses).

9. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

Yes, it does look nice, thanks for starting this thread.

10. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Been following the rumors for months, and remain very optimistic about this system. Though the body price is quite steep, the lenses are fairly reasonable, given the typical asking price for large-aperture primes. Given the X100, I'm optimistic about image quality, but less so about interface and operation speed.

Seems that Fuji is aiming for those of us who lust for Leica but can't reasonably afford it. Prices are high, but not stratospheric. So far, this seems like the system that is most likely to replace both my DSLR and current mirrorless gear. It will be interesting to see how it performs, and what new lenses are released this year and next.

11. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I'm in love. That's all I'm going to say about it! :p
    Now I need to see how much money I get when I change jobs later this year. Perhaps it'll help that I will move to Japan :D

12. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

This looks very interesting for sure.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the new sensor design performs. If they can avoid moire, then the fact that it doesn't have an anti-aliasing filter should improve sharpness. Let's see if they can also avoid the false-colour 'bugs' that have affected Leica (they removed the anti-aliasing and IR filter, but that extra IR degraded some images).

I'm also wondering whether removing sensor optical filters has any impact on dust, cleaning and wear and tear. Usually you won't see sensor dust particles at wide apertures - because the dust is a small distance in front of the sensor - and the spread of light at wide apertures causes only a soft shadow to fall. Remove the filters and put the dust on the sensor itself - and you have a hard shadow at all apertures. I think I'd feel less comfortable about cleaning a sensor directly too.

I haven't read much on the UI of the camera. I'm hoping that they have peaking on the back and EVF - that would make it a winning option for manual lenses.

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

£1080 for body and 35mm f1.4.

Not bad at all!

14. robbieduncan thread starter Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

15. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

16. sananda macrumors 68020

I'm finding it a little less pretty than the X100. But I'll wait til I see it for real.

17. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

18. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

I have a bad feeling about this. Nowadays I have my gear lust well under control: I don't need to update my computer whenever a new MacBook Pro is released or a new camera body when Nikon decides to upgrade its serious amateur camera. But I doubt my cravings for the Fuji will go away anytime soon. The fact that it is more expensive than anticipated just makes things worse ;)

About the only thing I miss from the videos I've seen so far is a dedicated ISO button.

19. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

:rolleyes:

That must be why all the top-tier cameras shoot 3D

:rolleyes:

But seriously, "3D" can't go away soon enough for my liking. I resent the extra money I know was tacked on to make my TV "3D Capable". If I wanted to watch TV with sunglasses on, I would do it outside, thanks!

20. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I really like what I see. Of course, I really dig the X100 too. We'll know just how legit this thing is when the reviews start pouring out. I know some cringe when they hear this, but it really is shaping up to be a poor man's Leica. Or at least, a less rich man's Leica (can't really say the Fuji is cheap, just less expensive than the Leica).

If the image quality is as good (and I expect a bit better) than the X100, sign me up.

21. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

A poor man's Leica sounds as if you have to make compromises compared to a »proper« camera. The X1 Pro is more advanced than the Leica in some respects, most notably the viewfinder and the AF system spring to mind. And price-wise, I'd call it a »less rich man's Leica« :D

22. cube macrumors G5

I have a D700. After using the Fujifilm 3D W3, I think all DSLRs are in the past.