Full mac line update at WWDC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thesnowman16, Apr 22, 2007.

1. thesnowman16 macrumors member

thesnowman16

Looking at several factors I have a feeling (Based on absolutely no evidence or insider information) that Apple may be planning to shock the world by updating there entire mac line (Excluding pros that have just been updated) at WWDC in June.

What leads me to think this? Well we haven't seen any big updates in the consumer market for quite sometime.

Also Santa Rosa will (should) be out by then.

Almost the whole lineup will be due for a refresh around that time.

I am just curious if anyone else is getting this feeling that something big may be happening at WWDC? Or do people just expect maybe one or two updates? :apple:

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They will only update the Pro lines, MacBook Pro and the servers. Maybe new displays.

3. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

What makes you think this? (Just curious)

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

WWDC is a developer conference. Historically Apple only releases high end products there.

5. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

I'm willing to bet a kidney that the iphone will be relised at WWDC, thats not a pro product :p

However you are right and generaly pro products are only relised at wwdc

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

And generally Mac products are released at MacWorld......... and I think we all know how that went.......:D

7. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

if they're going to do a release of lots of new systems soon they would do that with the release leopard

8. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

Then that rules out "soon" because leopard is a loooooooooooong way away...October :(

If they didn't release new imacs and laptops before then they will not be in a good position because other company's (Dell for example) are already advertising there Centrino pro (Santa Rosa) not book as being on sale "Late April" or "Early May". That means the competition will have 5 months of sales with the new chip (Not to mention new operating system), I think this would be a very bad strategy for Apple.

9. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I don't think they can afford to wait for Leopard, their will be tons of students looking over the summer for a new computer...they are going to want to refresh before then. With Santa Rosa coming next month, they should be ready to refresh the iMac and the MacBook Pro by June. Then they will bump the MacBook and mini later in the summer. I don't think they will do it all at once just because that will stress their inventory control systems and could show up weird in the financials.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

11. jotadeo macrumors regular

True, but...

So, tradition doesn't mean much when it comes down to it. And even though it's a developers' conference, what would prevent SJ from saying, "We're upgrading all the pro models as well as the consumer models"? The big problem with that is...

:apple: could announce the upgrades all at once but release the pro models June 11th, for instance, and then the consumer models at the end of the month. Sales would more than likely drop off on the consumer models, but those waiting to get one of those products would only have a few weeks to wait to buy and perhaps would have some incentive to consider buying a pro model.

Just some thoughts...
    jdo

12. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

Ahh that would actually be a good idea, however announcing something before releasing something is very un-mac however I hope your right, it would probably make the most sense.

13. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

And I'd add that the WWDC tradition isn't as cut into stone as the NAB announcements are. WWDC has developers working on all kinds of projects for different audiences and platforms (from iPod games to 3d rendering apps). Since the developers products have wide audiences, the range of products that Apple can announce is also pretty broad.

For the developers, WWDC is much more about learning and the different sessions and labs. It's not just about shelling out for the biggest and the best as is that case at NAB.

14. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm thinking we'll see updates and refreshes before, at and after wwdc. we don't have to have an apple event for a product launch. the macbook is evidence of that. i'm guessing imacs and mac minis in may, mac pros and macbook pros in june (not necessarily at wwdc) and macbooks in july.

15. NYmacAttack macrumors 6502

NYmacAttack

I could see them bumping the mini before WWDC. Anything else if its a major redesign they'll prob hold a press conference.

16. jotadeo macrumors regular

Both sound feasible. Either way, I'm good...my MBP is on its way. Ordered it Friday, left China Saturday and is on time for a Wednesday delivery. Tuesday would be better and more Mac appropriate. :D :D :D
    jdo

17. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

were are you from?

18. jotadeo macrumors regular

Connecticut, USA, but I'm in Wisconsin (also USA :)).
    jdo

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

iSight, AirPort Extreme?

Maybe they'll update everything around WWDC. Quiet releases like with the Mac Pro. Right before or right after. WWDC will probably be more about Leopard and maybe iLife/iWork. I wouldn't say anything is out though, including consumer stuff.

20. iamsleepy macrumors newbie

MB/MBP in China are too much more expensive than them in usa. And can't buy a cheap 2g memory at China too:( ...

21. jotadeo macrumors regular

I didn't buy from China. I ordered online from the U.S. Apple Store. It just shipped from Shanghai. I'm not sure if they all ship from China, but I've certainly heard of others waiting for their orders coming in to the U.S. from there.

I'll be upgrading the RAM at some point and will most likely get it from Crucial, newegg or OWC. :apple:'s memory upgrade are way too expensive.
    jdo

22. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i think currently all (or at least most) Apple computers (and ipods) are shipped out of china.

the only thing i can say is, that you dont know where to look. there's probably nowhere in this world that you can get less expensive ram (among other things), and those are not of low quality one either.

23. thesnowman16 thread starter macrumors member

thesnowman16

hmm i know rams are cheep in New Zealand...but so are yews.

(sorry)

24. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A late spring to summer update for the consumer line would make sense for the student population. I will certainly be in the market for a bottom of the range MacBook at that time. I'm just hoping that I will get a little extra with a nice update to the systems, not really a big deal if there is not but it would certainly be nice.

25. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

The Mac Mini is in desperate need of an update.... but what worries me is that Apple will not bother with this Santa Rosa chip set and put the current Core 2 chip in it (probably the 1.8ghz version) as a way of differentiating it from it's more expensive computers which hopefully will get the new chips.