full page Adobe ad really irks me

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mattwolfmatt, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Has anyone else experienced this while browsing MR? Your cruising around, reading headlines, then . . . BLAMMO! A full page black Adobe ad fills the entire screen! I desperately try to find the "close" or "X" button, but all I find is "try this" or "get more info". Then I realize the ad has expanded the window slightly, so I need to scroll to the right to find the "X". When I do close it, I've forgotten what I was reading, and the scroll bar disappears (proving that the ad purposely hid the "X" button off screen).

This is making me consider several things.

1. I will never buy an adobe product
    2. I am considering becoming a MR contributor (no ads!)
    3. I am considering taking a MR vacation and stopping by macworld instead.

This is super annoying. Do the ads need to pass some sort of test before they get approved? This one is the worst I've seen. Anyone else experience this or have thoughts?

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Got a screenshot? That would help us see how bad it is. Also, if the ad tries to hide the x off screen just use the zoom feature to make it smaller and maybe that willl unhide the x. Adblock will stop these and if you disable javascript and flash unless you need it it will not be able to come up

3. mcoyne macrumors member

I concur with the OP on all points. The ad is also very slow to load and opens at a width larger than I normally use on my browser, so it took me a while to find the close button. This is a really annoying tactic. Please stop. I hope MR is getting a lot of money for these ads.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes seen it a few days ago.

Yes Adobe ad.

Annoying. Take up upper half of browser while attempting to load a video ad.

I think the OP might have a small screen.
    On mine I can clearly see the close button.
    Had a screenshot but didn't bother to post it.

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

When someone calls my screen small, I feel the need to respond. ;) I have a 15" MBP, set to 1440x900. The bottom line is, it made the safari window temporarily wider (to hide the close button), something I've never seen an ad do before.

I've been trying to make it appear today to get a screenshot but couldn't. Maybe Macrumors pulled it. :)

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I got the 17" so everything else are small =p

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Here is the ad.

Happens when you mouse over it for very short duration (<.5 second?).

The other day it was the top banner. This time it's between the stories. Both times the x is visible. I guess the problem is the extremely short mouse over duration that triggers the ad and the sound it plays.

Attached Files:

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you do #1, don't forget to tell Adobe about it!

We don't intend to host ads that "attack" your page. If we were able to pre-approve individual ads, we wouldn't approve ads like this one. We aren't trying to force people to pay for MacrRumors membership in self defense (your choice #2). If people join, it should be because they want to support the site. We depend on advertising, but ads that misbehave annoy our users and that's not good for either them or our site.

As things stand, we can ask our ad supplier to eliminate certain ads, which we do regularly, and that's why we ask for identifying information. In the long run, I hope we find a way to prevent these ads in the first place.

9. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Hey thanks for your response. Turns out I just can't take a MR vacation (#3); I am bordering on addiction. Thanks again.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

This is confirmation that we've asked to have that ad removed.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Thanks. The ad won't be too bad if it
    - uses standard mouse over time, so that moving mouse across unintentionally won't trigger it
    - doesn't have sound turn on by default

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

In the week of this and this and now this. Not a good week for Adobe. Goodness knows what has gone wrong to what used to a great company.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Happened two more times.

I see why some people might think the close button is not visible.

If you are scrolling, the position where you triggered the ad is fixed, but you might have scrolled down more while the ad pop up in about a second.

14. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member