Full Screen Flash using 7 times the CPU in Lion as in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by asdf12125, Sep 4, 2011.

1. asdf12125 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 2011 Base 13" Air with up to date Lion. I noticed when I ran a full screen (external monitor) flash player in Google Chrome, my CPU usage would fluctuate between ~80-110% and run pretty hot above the chip after a minute or two. I figured it was just because Flash sucks, but I was very surprised when installing Boot Camp Windows 7 the other day that full screen Flash was only taking up ~16% usage, and running much cooler.

I checked a little bit on the forums and all I was able to find were posts advising to keep the flash player up to date. Google Chrome does this automatically, so I was wondering if anyone else is seeing the same problem or has ideas on how to fix this? I figure it's just another Lion issue and I may need to run Windows 7 for flash but if anyone knows of third party software solutions that address this issue, that would be great as well.

Thanks for any advice.

2. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

Flash is terrible on OS X.

Flash is a lot better on Windows.

Flash sucks in general.

In other words this is normal I get high CPU spikes when using flash as well.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

You mean Flash sucks in general on OS X :D It has absolutely no issues on Windows.

Before I got a Mac I had absolutely no issues with Flash. I don't have issues with it now either, but the frame rate of Flash does seem to be a tiny bit less on OS X than Windows, which is annoying as I'm a Flash designer...

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

You could try using Flash 11 Beta for the Mac to see if it makes a difference. I know Flash 11 lets me view most stuff that uses Flash for me, which Flash 10 didn't. But like everyone says, Flash sucks for Mac OS X. :(

Hugh

5. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

Flash ATM runs a lot better under Snow Leopard the Lion. It only uses about 30% of the CPU. Still worse compared to it running under Windows though.