Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
why can't they make full size arrow keys? they could reduce the size of the right shift key to make them all fit.
Simulating this with J/I/K/L keys feels more awkward to me than using the half-height up/down arrows. Also, when I use the arrow keys I usually have my fingers resting on the group of them so I don't need as large of a target to accurately hit the up and down arrow. Also, shift is used more than arrows and people who favor that key probable wouldnt like the reduction in its size. That being said, Apple's extended keyboards use full sized arrow keys because there is space to place them between the keyboard and numeric trackpad so its probably the best compromise to have all that functionality in a laptop keyboard.

I wonder if there is a preference between the inverted-t shape and rectangular shape as far as arrow key comfort is concerned.

tpfang56

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2021
Goodbye touchbar ?. I don’t use the F keys that much outside adjusting controls, but I do a lot of touch typing and I know the touchbar would’ve really annoyed me.

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Full size function keys sounds good to me. Half height is fine, but standard sized keys are easier to hit and nicer to press.

Main benefit I can see is the bigger surface for TouchID.

The interesting thing it also suggests either the chassis will be slightly bigger to accommodate the extra key height (presumably also because of the rumoured 14 inch screen), or that Apple has shaved down the height of the trackpad a bit. The trackpad on current Pros was fine, perhaps even a bit too large, so it would hardly suffer if it lost a little size.

oxid

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2015
This just sounds awful. Yet another day, yet another bad news surrounding the new MBP. The Touch Bar with the physical Escape key is perfect. All the other keyboards/laptops without Touch Bar look ancient. The Touch Bar looks futuristic compared to them. Ditching the HDMI port, SD card slot and MagSafe was a future-proof move. Similar to when they dropped support for Flash. If all these rumours are true, plus the macOS UI design issues, and full-sized function keys, then this is proof that something has fundamentally gone wrong at Apple and we all should be worried.

Reactions: arobert3434

arobert3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
This just sounds awful. Yet another day, yet another bad news surrounding the new MBP. The Touch Bar with the physical Escape key is perfect. All the other keyboards/laptops without Touch Bar look ancient. The Touch Bar looks futuristic compared to them. Ditching the HDMI port, SD card slot and MagSafe was a future-proof move. Similar to when they dropped support for Flash. If all these rumours are true, plus the macOS UI design issues, and full-sized function keys, then this is proof that something has fundamentally gone wrong at Apple and we all should be worried.
Yuck, it happened. I'm so drawn to the machine for the power and efficiency, yet repelled by the clunky retro design. I hope they come out with a "pro" Mini.

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
How so? Never heard of key remapping, do you use the CAPs LOCK key? Learn how to use keyboard modifiers along with Karabiner Elements.
Why in the world would I ever want to remap my ESC key when there is a perfectly well functioning ESC key in a standard location?

Do whatever you want with your keyboard mapping, but it's an absurd generalization to say "pros don't need an ESC key".

Apple2GS

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2016
US of A
Why in the world would I ever want to remap my ESC key when there is a perfectly well functioning ESC key in a standard location?

Do whatever you want with your keyboard mapping, but it's an absurd generalization to say "pros don't need an ESC key".

Must faster to hit the caps lock key for escape than leaving the home row. Pros know how to adjust the keyboard for maximum efficiency. It's a more advanced configuration than some can fathom.

JDHiro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Seattle, WA
Must faster to hit the caps lock key for escape than leaving the home row. Pros know how to adjust the keyboard for maximum efficiency. It's a more advanced configuration than some can fathom.
Sure, you could also switch to Dvorak - but since I already type faster than I can think, I'll stick what works for me and is consistent everywhere I go.

I'm happy to hear that your keyboard tweaks help optimize your workflow though.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Sure, you could also switch to Dvorak - but since I already type faster than I can think, I'll stick what works for me and is consistent everywhere I go.

I'm happy to hear that your keyboard tweaks help optimize your workflow though.

I think that’s a great point - many professional users need to work on multiple different computers and need to be able to make the best of every configuration- a consistent interface is a big help with that.

Reactions: JDHiro
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.