Fully Functional iPhone 7 Lightning EarPods Shown Off in New Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2016.

1. gabeo macrumors newbie

There are plenty of reasons why this may not be the best idea, but because everyone else is still using 3.5 is not one of them. USB probably wouldn't even exist on our computers now if it weren't for Apple pushing it on us.

2. gregoryalee macrumors regular

100% correct sir.

3. jdillings macrumors 68000

Sure it is.....after you buy a $129 hub from Apple to solve the problem they created.

4. Sunny1990, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

They will be sold separately:mad: Anyway I don't mind what ever they give as i will still be enjoying my headphone jack for one more Year :D

5. mtbgtr macrumors regular

When has Apple ever given us premium earbuds. What comes in the box now is the quality you will get with lightning almost assuredly. Margins margins margins

6. predation macrumors 65816

Does apple conduct clinics? Being in the automotive industry, we host countless clinics and get opinions from the PUBLIC. Time to ditch Johnny.

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If true, this will be the first time I don't opt for the newer Apple product and actually be happy that I'm saving money. My 5S is on its last leg and was looking forward to the 7. If the 3.5mm jack is officially gone, I would have no problem saving money and getting a 6S.

8. gregoryalee macrumors regular

I am in this exact same space. You should expect to be attacked by Apple zealots now for your unwillingness to go to lossy delayed BT signal.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Either way, will be a selling point for me.

10. Kobbr macrumors regular

Their obsession with thinness may be the downfall of Apple.

11. 400 macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, how would you recharge? Obviously not always will you want the ear phones in the same time as power and i assume a docking station charges.

12. Black Magic macrumors 68020

Black Magic

Now there will be a lack of consistency across the devices. iPhone 7 - Use Lightning Ear Pods or Bluetooth. iPad, iMac, MacBooks can use all but the lightning EarPods.

13. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

You've seen the post about the lightning-to-3.5mm adapter right? Just like you could get an external SuperDrive when they first dropped the disc drive from laptops. People can still use their coveted 3.5mm headphones until they upgrade to bluetooth.

14. yesjam macrumors 6502

I think the infuriating thing isn't that Apple is eliminating the headphone jack in itself, it's that the alternative is in no way an advancement on the current standard technology. While it would be total B.S. to say that the introduction of USB C is illegitimate since everyone uses USB 2.0, for example, I have yet to see ANY advantage to eliminating the phone's headphone jack. That's why it's so maddening.

15. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

So cool! Now i can't charge my phone and listen to headphones at the same time! What a fantastic innovation!

16. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I'm perfectly happy losing the old TRS port. I expect within a few years the other manufacturers will have followed suit. Eventually as battery and wireless technologies improve the whole concept of having to plug in a listening device is going to seem antiquated.

17. maninhat macrumors newbie

can't wait:
    1) not being able to listen to music when I'm charging the phone
    2) carrying an adapter around or having to buy headphones I can't use anywhere else or buying wireless headphones to have one more device to worry about...

and the phone is not thinner...

18. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

To have two cords coming from one little hole from the top of the controls is a recipe for disaster - by that I mean the thin rubber will split in no time - you have two wires pressing in opposite directions left and right from a tight area - it has already done this on my current EarPods with one wire coming from the controls.

19. yesjam macrumors 6502

Anybody who cares about audio would not see bluetooth as an "upgrade" over great wired headphones.

While a dongle may be an option, I still do not see any solution for charging+listening. And dongles are simply ****** ways of getting me to pay an extra $29.95 to use my phone how I want to use it (and have been using it.)

20. gregoryalee macrumors regular

You have no idea that you "don't know what you don't know", do you?

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Well..I was referring if we would see an option for premium Bluetooth EarPods, sold separately or bundled, which we don't if Apple is releasing these at the time of the launch or not.

22. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

The innovation train keeps rolling at Apple

23. jdillings macrumors 68000

People who have invested in quality headphones aren't going to "upgrade" to bluetooth. It's a downgrade because it is compressed. It's like "upgrading" your flac files to mp3s.

24. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

But you know...Apple got ad team to make jack less iPhone all "wow."

25. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Next on the Innovation list - Macbook Pro with no screen! Simply buy an adapter and it plugs into your iPad for use as a screen! Insane innovation! Wonderful! Simply unapologetic!