Fully Functional iPhone 7 Lightning EarPods Shown Off in New Video

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 5, 2016.

1. scott911 macrumors 6502a

i would have thought they'd have chosen to include the bulk of the A-D converter in the volume control fob.

2. mtbgtr macrumors regular

You get no better quality but you keep thinking that.

3. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Maybe not for everyone but for the vast majority, absolutely.

4. mtbgtr macrumors regular

No they don't so why would anyone expect Apple to? Duh

5. Dydegu macrumors 6502a

Dydegu

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Who's "we"? You got a mouse in your pocket?

7. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

The worst fitting, and most uncomfortable, ear buds on the planet now come with a lighting connector. Thanks, Apple!

8. jman240 macrumors 6502a

Yes but in both the examples you gave there was a consumer trend shortly after to move on to better forms of media / storage. Floppies died in favor of thumb drives and cloud storage, cd/dvd drive was sort of replaced by digital media sales and streaming services. I'm not sure what thing is going to replace the headphone jack that will also be ubiquitous. It sure won't be lightning as that wont even work on your laptop etc. If they really wanted to do this right they should've used usb-c. That will at least start showing up in more places and would make a lot more sense from a compatibility standpoint.

9. ArcaneDevice macrumors 6502a

Well, that's a poor example. You do realize that vinyl is making a comeback and it's revival has been covered extensively over the past couple of years?

You should also brush up on your Apple history too. They have made plenty of choices in the Jobs' era alone that they have rolled back, despite their "research" to the contrary. According to Apple, their users never wanted multi-button mice or larger phones, everyone would use FireWire, DisplayPort was more important than HDMI, everybody would use Ping over Facebook ...

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

No it will just make people wonder why they got rid of it in the first place. What would make more sense is to include BT earbuds and pitch it as a transition to wireless. But of course Apple won't do that because then they can't upsell you on anything.

11. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

The length with that stupid connector is going to make the phone pretty long. Even worse for the +. Absolutely forget sitting down with lightning buds plugged in if you have a + and it's in your pocket.

12. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

Continuing your guitar analogy, then you see that band in concert and they're all wearing Shure body packs.

I have both wired and wireless headphones. My Bluetooth headphones are both quality products but yes I occasionally experience a click or pop, that's very rare. I'll replace my wired headphones with lightning cable equipped units, I accept that technology advances and I move with it but if I weren't willing (or able) I'd be comfortable with the adapter it will likely ship with.

I can understand the possible inconvenience of wanting to charge while listening but do you really never take your headphones off? The iPhone 6s is rated for 50 to 80 hours of audio playback (depending on whether you have the plus or not). In that time are you never going to sleep or go to the bathroom or go to work or shower or anything else that would have you remove your headphones and put the phone on a charger? Maybe if you use headphones for 10+ hour long movie marathons but even then that has to be an extreme use case. Eventually you can put the device down long enough to recharge without using your headphones.

If you are busy synching to iTunes you can also just play your music back from iTunes while you synch (it can do both, I do so frequently).

It's clear a lot of people have concerns about this move but I think we'll find reality doesn't have any significant impact for 99.9% of users (and that's probably being generous).

13. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

14. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

Because the masses of loyal Apple consumers keep banging the drum that Apple is SO MUCH BETTER than Samsung or other Android OEM's. I guess not, after all...Apple must be the same.

15. macguru212 macrumors 6502

macguru212

It'll be only $99 by Christmas!

/s

16. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

Millions of people spent good money on floppy disks. Millions of people spend good money on CDs. Millions of people spend money on peripherals with SCSI connectors. What exactly is your point?

17. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Why do people sit down with phones in their pocket?

18. RDowson macrumors 6502

RDowson

Depends on what the DAC supports. I don't think the iPhone DAC supports lossless. Could be a software limitation though.

This is why if you currently want lossless you need a DAC connected via the lightning cable.

19. bdavis89 macrumors regular

This is what nobody seems to be mentioning. Apple wants to force their proprietary connections. That is why this will fail.

I give props to them though; they have a plan that is gradually being unveiled. Apple bought Beats with this in mind, so there will be a major brand making headphones with the Apple proprietary connection.

Sure PCs and other phones will follow suit and remove the 3.5mm jack, but they utilize USB3, not lightning. What headphones are you going to buy? The ones that work only with apple, or the ones that you can use with any other PC or phone that you please? Apple has tried stuff like this before (firewire) and failed miserably. Sucks to see them do it again.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

anthonymoody

Too lazy to read the whole thread, so please forgive me if this has been speculated previously, but doesn't the DAC now have to reside somewhere in the headphones themselves? Likely in the volume control pod? If so, then of course said pod would have to be located prior to both ear buds.

21. mscice macrumors 6502

Considering possible bluetooth headphones will show up after, for 99$ lol its more money for  ... dropping the jack people will buy new headphones unfortunately...

22. Virinprew macrumors 6502a

These arguments are surely overused. Lol. Why don't you cite the decision to remove fans from Mac cube and cause overheating? Or when they seal up the iMac 21" so that you can't upgrade RAM any more unless you pay them dearly. And of course the upgrade to Mac mini that downgrade from 4 cores to 2 cores.
    What I want to say here is that Apple can make bad decisions (good for them, bad for customers). Don't keep using that 3.5 floppy/DVD drive legends to defend Apple's questionable moves.

23. mscice macrumors 6502

I agree or keep same screen size and drop the home button and bezels :)

24. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Which might be the point. Repurchases and more profits. Fill them landfills high! The board of directors wanting to show a green image should not have allowed this to go through...

25. PlainviewUVGF macrumors 6502a

PlainviewUVGF

Is this a serious question?