Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There are a limited number of original Apple-1 computers left in the world, and every so often, one comes up for auction. Available starting December 10, a new Apple-1 auction will see RR Auction selling a functional Apple-1 computer with an original box that's been signed by Steve Wozniak.

apple-1-auction-2020.jpg

Apple-1 machines were the first computers produced by Apple and sold by Steve Jobs out of his parents' garage back in 1976. Priced at $666.66, there were originally 175 Apple-1 computers manufactured, but less than half of those are still in existence.

The Apple-1 sold by RR Auction includes an Apple-1 computer that was restored to its original operational state by Apple-1 expert Corey Cohen, who says the current condition is an 8 out of 10. It is one of the few models in existence to include an original box, which was signed by Wozniak on the lid in black felt tip marker in 2005.

On the left side, the board is marked: "Apple Computer 1, Palo Alto, Ca. Copyright 1976," with the NTI emblem below, denoting it as part of the second batch of boards, ordered in the second half of 1976. Unlike most Apple-1 boards, many of the integrated circuits have bright and clear labeling. It exhibits typical green coat wear for a later NTI Apple-1 and has all correct components in good working order. The Apple-1 memory and IO jumpers have been wired to support executing Apple Basic on an 8K memory system, and the prototyping area is pristine and unused. Accompanied by a program from the 2005 UCLA event at which Wozniak signed the box, an image of the present owner with Wozniak and the box at the event, and a printout of a 1994 email from Woz about the Apple-1.
Also included is an original Apple Cassette Interface (ACI), an Apple-1 Operation Manual, a vintage Apple-1 power supply, a vintage Datanetics keyboard, a vintage 1976 Sanyo monitor, and a vintage Panasonic cassette player.

apple-1-signed-box-woz.jpg

Bidding on the Apple-1 will start at $50,000, with bids to be accepted starting on December 10. The auction will run through December 17. The Apple-1 could fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars, and in the past, Apple-1 machines have sold for as much as $815,000.

Earlier this year, a similar Apple-1 in working order with the same 8/10 condition sold for $458,711.

Article Link: Functional Apple-1 With Original Box Signed by Steve Wozniak Goes to Auction

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Fully functional, bundled, authenticated/signed and in pristine condition? I’d say this auctions off at/above 1M for a heritage product. This is awesome.

Reactions: beach bum
Comment

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
This is beyond awesome. I would love to buy that, but alas, I’d also have to get divorced. :)

And given how well Apple supports older hardware, I wouldn’t be surprised if it also ran Big Sur.

Comment

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
My personal opinion is that *I don't get it, to me it's just junk, I would not even pay 1 cent for it.

*Except for making more money out of it, as in an investment.
I kinda agree.

To me a better 'collectable' is something that can actually run the programs from my early years of owning the mac. While I started with a mac 128k in 1985, to me the best bet for longevity was a 2001 g4 powermac. I set it up with an ssd and classic mac os 9.2 and also osX 10.4.
I hooked it up with a 2005 23" cinema display and I have a fairly reliable way to get in my time machine and use some of that old software, for old times sake.

Anything older than that, I wouldnt be able to retrofit with an ssd and it wouldnt be nearly as reliable.

Last edited:
Comment

now i see it

macrumors 603
Jan 2, 2002
how many thousands of these got tossed in a dumpster way back then when the next model came out?

Comment

Rafagon

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL

There are a limited number of original Apple-1 computers left in the world, and every so often, one comes up for auction. Available starting December 10, a new Apple-1 auction will see RR Auction selling a functional Apple-1 computer with an original box that's been signed by Steve Wozniak.

apple-1-auction-2020.jpg

Apple-1 machines were the first computers produced by Apple and sold by Steve Jobs out of his parents' garage back in 1976. Priced at $666.66, there were originally 175 Apple-1 computers manufactured, but less than half of those are still in existence.

The Apple-1 sold by RR Auction includes an Apple-1 computer that was restored to its original operational state by Apple-1 expert Corey Cohen, who says the current condition is an 8 out of 10. It is one of the few models in existence to include an original box, which was signed by Wozniak on the lid in black felt tip marker in 2005.

Also included is an original Apple Cassette Interface (ACI), an Apple-1 Operation Manual, a vintage Apple-1 power supply, a vintage Datanetics keyboard, a vintage 1976 Sanyo monitor, and a vintage Panasonic cassette player.

apple-1-signed-box-woz.jpg

Bidding on the Apple-1 will start at $50,000, with bids to be accepted starting on December 10. The auction will run through December 17. The Apple-1 could fetch hundreds of thousands of dollars, and in the past, Apple-1 machines have sold for as much as $815,000.

Earlier this year, a similar Apple-1 in working order with the same 8/10 condition sold for $458,711.

Article Link: Functional Apple-1 With Original Box Signed by Steve Wozniak Goes to Auction
I bet it comes with one of those 720p cameras they're still using in today's MacBooks.

Comment

OxOOCOFFEE

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
I am wondering what software at that time they used to design PCB. It does not look like a hand-etched PCB. Since they were bulging personal computer they had to use some company machine to do this. Anyone know and can share this story?

Comment

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2020
My personal opinion is that *I don't get it, to me it's just junk, I would not even pay 1 cent for it.

*Except for making more money out of it, as in an investment.
Yeah, I always think “I get the sentimental value. This should be in a museum, it’s a piece of history” but apart from that, you can’t really use it for anything anymore.
It’s strange to me that for some reason people would pay this much for it.

Comment

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Priced at $666.66?
Wonder why Jobs picked THAT number?
Probably for the same reason the Apple logo has a bite taken out of it, and the rainbow logo has an "inverted" or unnatural color order. Maybe he was mocking Biblical references. Or maybe he was just having fun with dark Biblical references.

Full disclosure: I don't know why, but probably for the same reason.

Reactions: Santiago
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.