Funny Mighty Mouse issue

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeathChill, Apr 18, 2007.

1. DeathChill macrumors 68000

Well, it's not so much of an issue but I figured I'd share it with you guys. I'm sure someone's already discovered this or maybe it's applicable to all mice but I'll post it anyway.

If I place my Mighty Mouse near my cell phone, it clicks by itself. Literally, I can hear the mouse clicking and it will click on the computer as if I was doing it. At first I thought something had gotten stuck inside, but then I realized I could control it by moving my cell phone away from it. It's kind of funny, I suppose.

By the way, it's a wired Mighty Mouse.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. DeathChill thread starter macrumors 68000

My phone's a Samsung SGH-T609. It's the oddest thing and I've actually just discovered one more thing! It only seems to do it one of the phone is plugged in and being charged; it won't do it when the phone isn't being charged.

4. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

5. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

Considering the clicking noise in the mighty mouse is mechanical I have to call BS.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Actually, the Mighty Mouses employs a small, electronic speaker that makes clicking noises. You can hear this for yourself - take any Mighty Mouse, unplug it (or turn it off) and squeeze the side buttons. Does it make a sound? Now plug it in (or turn it on) and repeat the action. Now it makes a noise. :)

7. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

My apologies. I assumed he was talking about the regular click, not the expose buttons.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It'll also click when moving the scroll ball...

9. DeathChill thread starter macrumors 68000

Har har, I didn't even know this. I thought it was awfully odd that it could actually make it depress the button but now I know that it's just screwing with the speaker and making it click, yet it still clicks on the computer as if I'm doing it. Though I'd really like to know how. NOBODY has experienced this before?

10. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

If it was actually making the clicks on the computer, I'd use my cellphone for that purpose!

It would save me so much energy than wasting it click a mouse! I mean come on! How cool would that be?

Steve

11. noknife macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem!

I can control the clicks on my mouse just by hovering my hand over it.. I don't have my cellphone near it nor do I have a ring on or anything else that may trigger it. I have NO idea what is causing it but it's terribly annoying and interrupting my progress on the work I'm doing!!!

I'm going to research it more but until then I hope someone has some answers eventually.!! I don't want to buy a new mouse.....!:confused::confused::confused:

12. kbell macrumors newbie

Tick Tick Tick

I am having the same problem with the ticking but I don't have a cell phone or anything near my iMac as far as I can tell. I have eliminated the mouse because I called AppleCare and they sent me a replacement mouse which also exhibits the problem. The mouse does not have problems on my MBP. I even finally took the iMac (24" 37 lb thing) into an Apple Store, where it absolutely refused to exhibit the problem, leading me to believe it may somehow be environmental.

I could live with the ticking noise (and I have been), but recently the secondary click has begun to do primary click about 80% of the time. It's so bad that I switched over to my BT Logitech mouse and simply cannot use the Mighty Mouse any longer. The replacement mouse has the same secondary click problem, leading me to believe the two problems are either one problem or else related.

I have a case with Apple Care, but I have little hope that they will be able to solve it, since they finally sent me to an Apple Store when they could not figure it out. Of course, since the problem would not show itself at the Apple Store, I was sent home and told there was nothing that could be done unless it presents itself in front of the genius person. I'm not giving up, but it is a mystery and I can't use the mouse that came with the computer.

If and when I learn more, I will post to this thread.

Sigh... I've had the iMac for 18 months and I can't imagine what about it has changed to cause this.

Here is a link to a video of the mouse problem.

http://tinyurl.com/yf7vnwv

-Karen

13. noromaru macrumors newbie

Have you tried various outlets within your house? While I haven't had this issue exactly, I have had strange issues with my iMac's iSight that only occurred while plugged into a certain outlet.

14. kbell macrumors newbie

Yes, I have tried many many things, including various outlets on different circuit breakers.

However, after reading the posts in this thread and right after my post above, I just retried the mouse plugged into the MBP with the MBP on BATTERY ONLY but sitting on the keyboard tray for the iMac (same exact location as iMac) and the mouse ticks.

So, it is somehow something about the environment and unrelated to the iMac itself unless the iMac is producing the environment, which is unlikely since it behaved well in the store. Not a lot of candidates here but my external hard drive, an external powered USB hub and my UPS device are the three most likely candidates.

-Karen

15. kbell macrumors newbie

Still ticking...

Today I eliminated the remaining electronic equipment within 20 feet of my iMac. This includes the external hard drive, the externally powered USB hub, the Yamaha Disklavier piano, and the UPS. I have plugged the imac into a surge protector that is plugged into a different wall outlet about 20 feet from the place where it was before.

The ticking problem has changed. Now the ticking does not occur when I touch the mouse, but it occurs when my hand hovers about an inch or so above the mouse.

Secondary click now does not appear to ever work. It always does primary click. Before I made these recent changes, secondary click worked about 10%-25% of the time (less than half but still sometimes).

For my next step, I plan to bring the MBP back over to the iMac station and retest to see if the mouse behaves the same with the MBP as it does with the iMac. Then I plan to shut down the iMac and rerun the MBP tests in the same location. Maybe the iMac in this environment is exacerbating the problem.

I need to recharge the MBP first because I want to run it on battery only for these tests.

Apple has now told me that the problem is completely mine and they can't help it if my house won't support the Mighty Mouse. I'm not sure what they could do to help, but I don't like this answer...

-Karen

16. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

Lol... Now you need a compatible house for the mighty mouse to work. My wired mighty mouse acts so retarded I've just given up with it.

17. kbell macrumors newbie

Update on my Mighty Mouse Problem

After I charged up the MBP, I was able to make more discoveries about where the wired mighty mouse has problems. It appears to be isolated to my living room. When the MBP is on battery only, it experiences the mouse problem only when it is located physically near the iMac when the iMac is running. If I shut down the iMac, then the MBP works fine on battery only.

If the MBP is plugged into an outlet anywhere in my living room but nowhere else in my house, then it has the problem.

My current theory is that something is wrong with the grounding in my living room. I will be doing more experiments soon.

At this point, I am likely going to just live with my cute little Logitech BT mouse.

-Karen

18. kbell macrumors newbie

Done with Ticking

My last update on this problem...

I checked out all the outlets in my living room and everything is fine. I unplugged everything in the living room and still have the problem. It's just bizarre and I have no explanation.

I have spent probably 50 hours trying to isolate this problem with no success.

I bought a BT magic mouse and love it. It cost me $70 but it is worth it to be past the problem and have a mouse that does scrolling "correctly".

If anyone else ever makes any headway on the problem, I'd love to hear about it.

-Karen

19. aiesha80 macrumors newbie

Just to relate

I have a wired mighty mouse and noticed the same thing last night after plugging in my cell phone charger near my computer setup. Weird eh? Thanks for posting this or I might've never figured out my cell charger was the problem... I thought my refurbished mac was going kaput and I'd have to have major repairs done over a silly mouse control issue!

In case anyone's wondering, I bought a generic cell charger off ebay for my LG Voyager, not sure if the brand/type matters in this case.

I hate technology sometimes... ;)

20. Ursalette macrumors newbie

I'm so glad you posted this! My mouse started doing that at 5am---when I plugged my cell phone into charger! Unplugged, no problem, also burying it under a bunch of papers about 3 feet away from mouse worked. It's also plugged into a separate power strip. Thanks! I was beginning to think I was crazy too.