Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pokrface

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2007
I go through how Fusion Drive deals with Boot Camp near the end of this article.

Short answer: You can set up a boot camp partition, but it lives on the HDD part of your Fusion Drive, not the SSD. When you boot into Windows, the SSD doesn't get any drive letters assigned to it and it's inaccessible unless you want to start breaking things. There is no tiering and no Fusion Drive-style functionality in Windows, because Fusion Drive is purely a function of OS X's Core Storage. When you're in Windows, you're booted off of your HDD and everything works totally normally, as if you had no SSD at all.

edited to add - Here's what you see in Disk Management in Windows on a Fusion Drive-equipped Mac.

abbottcostello

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
Bflo, NY
Well, not exactly...

You can order pre-configured with a Fusion Drive which will give you a 128GB SSD and 1 or 3TB HDD.

When you get it, you can 'break the fusion', install Boot Camp onto a partition on the SSD, re-Fusion the remaining SSD/HDD and merrily go on your way.

Since the Windows partition will be small, you could also partition the HDD (one extra partition is allowed using Fusion) and use that for game/file storage. The 2.2TB limit is a boot limit only.

Theoretically, of course. BTW- you CAN do this with the DIY Fusion Drive. Several users (myself included) have this setup in non-factory fusion drives. I have a OWC 240GB SSD and 500GB HDD running with Boot Camp off the SSD.

We did a DIY fusion on my son's 15" MBP (mid 2010) running latest version of ML, installed Samsung 840 SSD - 500GB in main slot & put his original 500GB in optical bay. Partitioned ~250GB of SSD for Windows, formatted as FAT32, then did DIY Fusion on remaining 250GB SSD + 500GB HDD.
Not having ever used Bootcamp, were surprised that there is no way to select where it will install Windows 7.
Seeing this post gives me hope that we don't need to wipe out & start over or at the very least, we may have to, but will be able to put Windows on the SSD.
Right now we don't know where to go from here, my son downloaded Windows, started the install through Bootcamp & now all that's on hold until we figure this out. Any help on where to go for some detailed instructions on how to do what you are saying is possible (to put windows on the SSD) would be greatly appreciated, if we don't have to wipe out what we've done so far that would be even better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.