Hi everyone! I recently purchased a 2019 iMac 27” with 1TB Fusion Drive and I made a huge mistake by choosing the 1TB Fusion Drive option. I chose Fusion because I knew I can just purchase and use a SATA based SSD as a replacement. But what I didn’t know before is that Apple’s Proprietary NVMe PCIe based SSD’s can run so much faster than SATA based SSD. And I believe there’s no way to go to an apple store or reseller and tell them I want to buy their SSD and then they can upgrade it themselves. So I’ve done my own research and I need your opinions which of these options would you choose to upgrade the fusion to a faster SSD.
- Use a Samsung X5 External SSD (via Thunderbolt 3) as the primary drive for everything and still use the Fusion as a backup
- Build my own NVMe SSD with a Thunderbolt or USB 3.1 Enclosure to also be used as External SSD Drive
- Purchase a used Genuine Apple Blade SSD from Ebay and replace the internal Fusion Drive
- Purchase a compatible 3rd Party NVMe SSD called Feather SSD M13 made by Fledging from HatSSD on Ebay
- Purchase the Samsung 970 EVO or WD BLACK SN750 with Sintech NGFF M.2 nVME SSD Adapter Card
- Install a 3rd Party NVMe PCIe SSD from OWC called Aura Pro X2