Fusion Drive Worth It For Office?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by legaleye3000, Jan 4, 2013.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

In a law office, is a fusion drive worth it? Is there that much of a difference in speed? Will the 5400 rpm drive drag down the rest of the speedy system? Thanks.

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

It's my understanding that the hard drive's speed won't matter. The data on the SSD will be transferred to it in the background as the SSD becomes full.

I believe the SSD is worth it for the speed. I have the 27" with the SSD and not a Fusion drive, but from what I'm hearing, the Fusion drive is just as fast.

3. WrrN macrumors regular

WrrN

If you want apps to open fast, get it, with this caveat ... my 1TB fusion is fantastic for all software, but I have noticed that MS Word seems a tad sluggish compared to Photoshop, Illustrator, Firefox, Mail, etc. Keep in mind I do have 704 fonts active and when Word opens, it's the font reading that is stalling it. I measured ~4 seconds to fully open. In comparison Photoshop takes ~2 seconds with the same fonts active.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

There are gazillions of posters here who will gladly tell you that you should upgrade to an SSD drive, no matter what the cost. The Fusion drive gives you (almost) the speed of SSD, combined with the size of a hard drive, at little cost.

If you start with the most basic Mac, and then ask what you might spend money on to improve it, the first item is _enough_ memory, the second item would be a Fusion drive (or SSD drive if you use little storage), and far behind comes a faster processor.