Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I totally agree with you on this.

As someone with a relatively high end TV (40" Sony KDL-40XBR4) with HD cable, Apple TV and a PS3 for Blu-ray, I can say 1080p absolutely destroys 720p/1080i.

If you're watching video from a good source (a Pixar Blu-ray for example) you will easily see the difference. Especially if you are comparing it to HDTV broadcasts at 720p or 1080i since they generally only get 3-6 Mbit/sec for bandwidth.

Can your TV easily switch resolution between 1080i and 1080p. If so, switch back and forth between i and p and see if you can notice a difference with the same Pixar Blu Ray. I've tried the experiment. I think a lot of credit given to the resolution of 1080p is actually due to a well mastered source and good equipment.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
No, 1080p is not a "gimmick" by definition. However, retailers do try and oversell it by convincing average consumers that they need it... when they don't. Not by a long shot. The thing people never consider when deciding on the resolution of screen they need, is the distance they sit from said screen! The distance you sit is JUST as important as the resolution of the screen.

Most people don't sit close enough to their TV to see any benefit from 1080p over 720p. In general, unless you're building a home theatre, or sit abnormally close to your TV during normal use... you will NEVER see a difference between 720p and 1080p. The human eye simply can't resolve the difference between the two at normal viewing distances.

For example, if you have a 50" set, and you're sitting more than 7-8 feet away (most people would sit more than 10) you will not see ANY DIFFERENCE between 1080 and 720. Your eyes physically can't resolve the difference. It's kind of like taking a wallet-size photo with a 12mp camera and hoping to see a resolution difference between that and a 4mp camera. Ain't going to happen.

This chart might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about:
resolution_chart.jpg

Bottom line... 90% of customers probably won't see any benefit whatsoever from 1080p. Analyze the chart and make your own assessment. Depending on how close you sit, how big your screen is, etc. you might. If you're in the market for a set, I recommend you go to the store yourself and find two tv sets which are identical models except for resolution. Start at about 25' back, and walk forward until you think you can see a resolution difference. And then, when you think you start seeing a difference, glance at the price tags on the set. 720p sets are usually around 50-70% of the price of their identical 1080p counterparts.

Personally, I did this... and couldn't see a difference (on a 50" set) until around 6' or so. Needless to say, now I have AppleTV hooked up to my 720 Panny Plasma, and it looks GORGEOUS! Absolutely perfect.

---
Here are what I consider to be the most important features for image quality on new HDTV sets. 5 and 6 are debatable. you could switch them, I suppose.

(Most Important)
1. High Quality Source
2. Contrast Ratio (brilliant whites, deep blacks)
3. Refresh Rate (LCDs Only)
4. Color Saturation
5. Color Accuracy
6. Resolution
(Least Important)

This post is excellent and I 100% agree.

Henrikgud

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
I have the 2 gHz Mac Mini with 3 gb RAM and a 500 gb internal and 1.5 TB external FW400 hard drive connected to an Onkyo 5.1 HTIB by optical cable. I use Plex exclusively for my Blu-ray video playback (1080p with Dolby Digital or DTS). I now have about 35 or 40 Blu-ray rips and all but two play without any perceivable dropped frames. See my sig for additional details.

so I need the 2ghz with 3gb ram? It wont to with a 1.83ghz with 3ram?

thx again for fast respons!

Cave Man

macrumors 604
so I need the 2ghz with 3gb ram? It wont to with a 1.83ghz with 3ram?

I'm sure the 1.83 gHz model will work with some Blu-ray rips and it should work fine with all (or almost all) transcodes to m4v using Handbrake. The advantage of the 2 gHz processor (besides its speed) is its 4 mb cache, which is twice that of the 1.83. I cannot tell you more because I don't have a 1.83 model.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
My issue with 720 vs 1080 for the ATV is about future-proofing. I really like how HD movies purchased through ATV / iTunes comes with a low-res version for my iPhone, and that it shows up as one movie in the menus. I haven't bought many movies this way, however, because I plan to install a monster screen in my new house and so I want as higher resolution as possible for when that happens.

So, when Apple puts Blu Ray compatibility into Snow Leopard, which is the rumour, I should be able to rip Blu Ray content at 1080p. But that's only worthwhile if I can play it through my ATV - which I can't right now until they the hardware.

I understand the bandwidth issue for downloading 1080p movies. I just hope that Apple upgrade the ATV hardware to be able to play 1080p when they add Blu Ray support to Snow Leopard.

realityking

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2008
How does having Blu-Ray support in Mac OS X fix anything? Current OS X plays DVDs but there's no Apple solution to get your DVD movie onto an AppleTV. I highly doubt there will be one for Blu-Ray.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
How does having Blu-Ray support in Mac OS X fix anything? Current OS X plays DVDs but there's no Apple solution to get your DVD movie onto an AppleTV. I highly doubt there will be one for Blu-Ray.

I use Handbrake to rip DVDs to iTunes from where I can sync or stream to my ATV. There is a work around for ripping Blu Ray to a Mac, but it involves using Windows at some point for Blu Ray functionality, and sounds like a large ball-ache.

As and when Mac OS X supports Blu Ray, it'll be possible to rip Blu Ray directly on the Mac. What I don't know is whether iTunes can stream a 1080p file to the ATV in a format it can play (converting on the fly), or if it will have to be ripped in 720p. The latter defeats my purpose, unless they come out with a 1080p compatible ATV.

It's your basic cat-herd.

Marvin1379

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
New York
In the display settings of the most 2.3.1 there is a new setting for the display at 1080p. It used to only go up to 1080i. What do u all make of that? Is that only the output resolution as opposed to the input resolution?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What do you think the limitation is right now for lack of 1080p? Hardware not powerful enough? I can't see myself going through my whole collection and ripping again if the next version of ATV has 1080p. Or does it not make that much of a difference on a 46" with .mp4 compression?

I think Apple is trying to build a user base by keeping the price of the equipment down. Also their primary reason for selling the ATV is so they can rent movies to you and they don't want to have to use the bandwidth to send 1080P movies over the Internet. Put another way: Apple has no 1024 content to sell so why make a 1024 ATV?

I think Apple has it wrong. There are likely many people holding off and not buying an ATV until a 1024p version is available. I know I'm one of them.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Find me a camera that shoots "Super Hi-Vision." :)

I just want to make a slide show of my still photos and have them displayed on a screen with all the resolution that my camera captured. I can't do that even with a 1080P screen.

Currently I shoot with a 6MP DSLR that makes images that are 3,000 pixels across. This is about 3x more than 1080P.

But many of my images were shot on film which has an effective resolution of about 6,000 pixels across (good 35mm film images are about the same as a 24MP digital sensor)

And then I have some scans from medium format film. It would be nice if the on-screen images looked as good as same size prints made with an optical enlarger in a darkroom.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I use Handbrake to rip DVDs to iTunes from where I can sync or stream to my ATV. There is a work around for ripping Blu Ray to a Mac, but it involves using Windows at some point for Blu Ray functionality, and sounds like a large ball-ache.

As and when Mac OS X supports Blu Ray, it'll be possible to rip Blu Ray directly on the Mac. What I don't know is whether iTunes can stream a 1080p file to the ATV in a format it can play (converting on the fly), or if it will have to be ripped in 720p. The latter defeats my purpose, unless they come out with a 1080p compatible ATV.

It's your basic cat-herd.

I think his point was that even now that Apple has DVD support and ability to play DVDs, Apple doesn't offer a way to rip DVDs so why would the inclusion of Blu Ray support in Snow Leopard mean that you would be able to rip Blu Rays?

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
In the display settings of the most 2.3.1 there is a new setting for the display at 1080p. It used to only go up to 1080i. What do u all make of that? Is that only the output resolution as opposed to the input resolution?
1080p has been there in the display settings since at least 2.3 and maybe back to 2.2.
Yes, its the ouput resolution, has nothing to do with input.

Kennedy

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2009
I forgot to consider the bigger file size. I have been watching on a CRT, so 720 ATV stuff should be quite an improvement. In conjunction with the ATV I am thinking of dumping the CRT and getting the new Samsung 46" 120hz 1080p from Amazon. They have it fir only $1669 right now and that is with no tax. I'd save $500 over the local shops and they had already marked down for labor day sale.

Just FYI, I have a 46" 120Hz 1080p Samsung, and it's great. Got it for about $1,700, but when we looked at Best Buy last week, it was down to $1,499.

We also just bought a last-year's Philips, 47" 120Hz 1080p, at Sam's Club, for $1,294. The black levels aren't the best in the world, but unless you're some graphics whore or avid movie watcher, it won't matter a bit (especially at that price). And, it only uses the energy of a single incandescent lightbulb!

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I totally agree with you on this.

As someone with a relatively high end TV (40" Sony KDL-40XBR4) with HD cable, Apple TV and a PS3 for Blu-ray, I can say 1080p absolutely destroys 720p/1080i.

If you're watching video from a good source (a Pixar Blu-ray for example) you will easily see the difference. Especially if you are comparing it to HDTV broadcasts at 720p or 1080i since they generally only get 3-6 Mbit/sec for bandwidth.

I just got a new Samsung 720p television and I can easily tell the "imperfections" of 720p output. It's still an amazing picture, but I pop the same BD into an older player hooked up to a much better 1080p TV and...wow. I can even tell the difference between the HD broadcasts, which are compressed, and the BD movies, which aren't. This doesn't make the compressed video bad, but the uncompressed is just better.

As far as 1080p video on ATV, first Apple needs 720p movies for purchase. I don't plan to purchase any (because I know they're gonna be $25 for new releases), but this whole video downloading as a viable alternative to discs isn't even off the ground yet. I think the studios are loving the DRM on Blu-ray Disc and therefore not quite as worried about needing to sell their content everywhere.

MacNoobie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2005
Colorado
What size are these LCD's you speak of? Are you viewing any 1080P content on them when you say you see very little difference?

A 1080i TV, when they were made, has a 540P equivalent resolution. There are no 1080i TV's made anymore.

You can't watch sports at 30fps. 30fps is just to slow for content that has quick changes. Watching the Olympics at 30fps would just be painful. It would be 1080P60, not 1080P30. There isn't much difference between 1080i60 and 1080P60 other than lack of combing and double the data rate for 60fps.

What's the gimmick? That 1080P is 2.5X's the resolution of 720P? Wow, thats snake oil right there.

In the United States, the ATSC standard allows 1080p24 and 1080p30 video. In practice, 1080p is EXTREMELY rare in broadcasting, as all major networks use a 60 Hz format in the MPEG-2 header – either 720p60 or 1080i60, and the consumer televisions do not support codecs needed to support 1080p50 or 1080p60 as of yet.

In the production world:
A new high-definition progressive scan format is not available for picture creation, but is currently being developed to operate at 1080p at 50 or 60 frames per second.[3][6] This format will require a whole new range of studio equipment including cameras, storage, edit and contribution links (such as Dual-link HD-SDI and 3G-SDI) as it has doubled the data rate of current 50 or 60 fields interlaced 1920 × 1080 from 1.485 Gbit/s to nominally 3 Gbit/s. It is unable to be broadcast in a compressed transmission to legacy MPEG-2 based HD receivers. This format will improve final pictures because of the benefits of "oversampling" and removal of interlacing artifacts.

So again how are you managing to watch the Olympics at FullHD 1080p60? if its on a HDTV then no 1080p30, if its on a computer monitor/LCD then you'd get the 1080p60 but the signal coming in (again due to hardware/bandwidth) isnt 1080p60. But you're right 1080i is 540 odd/even alternating lines of resolution displayed at 60 fps, 1080P however is all 1080 lines at 30fps again due to bandwidth/codec restrictions. If you are watching sports even on your spiffy new 1080p Full HD TV the signal coming in through your cable/satellite are much lower 720p60 (presumably 60 since its considered high motion) and then upscale'd to your 1080p set.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.