Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
they have NO chance of developing & incorporating cell technology in the next 5+ years ! ... NO chance @ all ! ... simply too late to the game, & it's an EXTREMELY complex game to participate in !
"We've learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone. PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They're not going to just walk in." - Ed Colligan, Palm CEO, 2006

"There's no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance," - Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO, 2007

Spoon!

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2018
2hn10di.jpg

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Things do not look so good for Intel longer term (most Android firms use Qualcomm and people are just ending buying PC's and using Smartphones and their Apps to what they need). Modem production was looking like a good business for them from Apple but will almost certainly end in a couple of years.

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
I don't believe patent law works like that. Intel pays Qualcomm license fees to build modems. Once they've done that, Qualcomm's patent claims are "exhausted". Intel customers don't pay Qualcomm additional money.

No, Qualcomm's SEP licensing is based on a percentage of the phone cost, which is the root of the Apple dispute. Intel doesn't pay Qualcomm to begin with, the phone manufacturer does. There's nothing (yet) in patent law that says you can't do that.

Some other technologies are licensed based on the "finished product". It may be cheaper, for example, HDMI only charges the same fee regardless of how many ports, cables, or whatever you put in the TV box. The individual component manufacturers don't pay, only the end product brand does.

The fees and cost will be substantially higher if they don't use their cellular chips, so they are not officially required, but economically impractical.

That would be illegal from an anti-trust standpoint. SEPs are required to be licensed under "fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory" terms. If Qualcomm charged less for their own chips, it would be a discriminatory licensing practice.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjohnstone

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
No, Qualcomm's SEP licensing is based on a percentage of the phone cost, which is the root of the Apple dispute. Intel doesn't pay Qualcomm to begin with, the phone manufacturer does. There's nothing (yet) in patent law that says you can't do that.

Some other technologies are licensed based on the "finished product". It may be cheaper, for example, HDMI only charges the same fee regardless of how many ports, cables, or whatever you put in the TV box. The individual component manufacturers don't pay, only the end product brand does.

That would be illegal from an anti-trust standpoint. SEPs are required to be licensed under "fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory" terms. If Qualcomm charged less for their own chips, it would be a discriminatory licensing practice.
They are being investigated for this and have been fined in some countries for anti-trust price fixing.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This will allow Apple to sell their CPU's to other manufacturers in the future as Qualcomm's monopoly on cellular chips was stopping smaller manufacturers from buying other solutions as Qualcomm chips, because they were forced to as they needed the cellular chip from Qualcomm.
That will not happen.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Certainly, Qualcomm has a tremendous amount of expertise in the wireless modem space, and even though Apple is not currently recognized a modem expert, I can see them possibly succeeding in this area.

I base this assumption on what Apple has done with its Bluetooth W1 chips. Yea yea yea, before some clown says it, I know Apple's W1 is significantly less complicated than a modem chip. Even though I hate to do it, I will give Apple credit for their W1 efforts. I wish my Bose wireless headset had an Apple W1 chip. Anyway, time will tell on their modem efforts.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
It's about time they start doing this i think this is a win win for Apple customers as well as Apple.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Not even sure about that. The stagnation of CPU improvements relative to what it used to be, breakthrough, defies and rejects Moore's Law. So much so, it has allowed AMD to rise from the grave with their Ryzen CPU's people seem to be big fans of.

Well, that's also good in a way. Competition is good. Intel has become a near monopoly on the desktop/server/datacenter CPU market.

Reactions: thadoggfather

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I don't believe patent law works like that. Intel pays Qualcomm license fees to build modems. Once they've done that, Qualcomm's patent claims are "exhausted". Intel customers don't pay Qualcomm additional money.
Not necessarily true.
You have hardware patents and software patent.
Manufacturers typically only pay for hardware license and then pass the software license fee required to make the hardware work, off to the buyer. They build a fully capable modem (it's actually cheaper that way), and let the buyer enabled what functions they need.
This is fairly typical as each buyer decides what modem functions they need. Those are controlled by the software side (firmware).

If Apple builds their own modems, they will be responsible for paying for both. Why? They will still be required to use some of the SEP patents if they want their modems to function correctly with industry standards.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Intel does in fact pay Qualcomm a license for some of the modems physical build requirements. (Hardware design patents).
No one can build a standards compliant modem without paying SEP fees to all relevant patent holders.
That fee could be passed onto the buyer of the modem (phone manufacturer), but Intel still has to get a license.

The software license (modem firmware) is what typically gets passed onto the phone builder as the builder determines what modem functions they wish to enable in the firmware.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Qualcomm has such a tight noose around Apple's neck, I hope Apple will last until 2021. Each time Apple tries to make a move, Qualcomm is standing in the way. It will also be that way when Apple uses its own modem and Qualcomm claims Apple is violating some Qualcomm patent. It's somewhat amazing how Qualcomm is beating up on Apple so badly despite being a much smaller company. It may be because Qualcomm serves a much larger customer/client base than Apple. It looks like another no-win game for Apple if we can base it on the current iPhone ban in China.

Why didn't Apple ever come out with any useful patents that other companies can't copy? It seems whatever Apple does, Chinese Android manufacturers are able to copy it within a few months and Apple can't do anything about it.

Reactions: ROGmaster

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Qualcomm has such a tight noose around Apple's neck, I hope Apple will last until 2021. Each time Apple tries to make a move, Qualcomm is standing in the way. It will also be that way when Apple uses its own modem and Qualcomm claims Apple is violating some Qualcomm patent. It's somewhat amazing how Qualcomm is beating up on Apple so badly despite being a much smaller company. It may be because Qualcomm serves a much larger customer/client base than Apple. It looks like another no-win game for Apple if we can base it on the current iPhone ban in China.

Why didn't Apple ever come out with any useful patents that other companies can't copy? It seems whatever Apple does, Chinese Android manufacturers are able to copy it within a few months and Apple can't do anything about it.

Do you work for Qualcomm's PR firm?

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Just picked you, no offence but I don't get this sentiment, I have an Xs, I have no trouble with the speeds nor connection, but then again, I don't live in the states with it's crappy networks.

I do live in the States and my Xs Max has great speed and connections. Just picked your post. No offense.

Reactions: justperry

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
If AAPL had started 5+ years ago with 300+ Woz-level engineers, then maybe ... otherwise, it's a total joke, & the ONLY ones promoted this as even a possibility are the NONE engineers.

I'm an EE, I grew up in Silicon Valley, & prior to transitioning into iOS App Development four years ago, I've worked @ Qualcomm here in San Diego where I've lived the past 10+ years ... while AAPL has done a fantastic job with their A-series mobile processors, & it is what differentiates them, engineering-wise, from the other smartphones, they have NO chance of developing & incorporating cell technology in the next 5+ years ! ... NO chance @ all ! ... simply too late to the game, & it's an EXTREMELY complex game to participate in !
Cool story bro...

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
This is probably in response to the ****** performance of the intel modems, and the fact that Qualcomm is trying to become a monopoly.

Just like Intel, Apple will need to license patents from Qualcomm.
You can't do cellular or WiFi without paying Qualcomm. They invented fundamental algorithms needed.
It may be less than they are paying, but they are going to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.