Future of Apple Mice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by roger13531, Aug 31, 2009.

1. roger13531 macrumors newbie

So the mighty mouse has been out since 2005 and it seems to have a lot of issues. Scroll ball not working, horrible ergonomics, etc. And with everything going aluminum, when do you think we will see a new mouse and what will it be like? Aluminum? New button layout? When?

2. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I've never used them~I've tried them out at the local Apple place (not an Apple store but a place that sells them anyway-and not Best Buy), and I can't really get the hang of them I guess from using regular mice...this Logitech wireless thing I got for a little bit of nothin' seems to work just dandy.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink that this will be rather interesting especially given the tablet and multi-touch innovations. The mouse could become the largest limiting force on innovation...

4. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

I think a design change is needed and has been for awhile now but I don't see the button layout changing much... Maybe a backward and forward on the sides but I think they will stick with the one button for clicking! Just my thoughts....

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This has been a topic brought up occasionally. Basically, there are some upsides and downsides to whether or not the design of the Apple keyboards and mice should be changed.

For example, with the MacBook Pro keyboards now in black, many wonder when Apple's external keyboards will go from white to black. The same with the mice -- when will they become aluminum.

Truthfully, I don't know if it'd happen. Right now, the Mighty Mouse matches the white look of the keys on the desktop computers. And frankly, a black mouse is too Dell-like... too... "PC"-like. So for that reason, I don't think they'd make the keys and the mouse match in black.

So either the Mighty Mouse will become aluminum, its tail (cord) will become black, and the keys will become black. Or nothing will change at all.

But if the cord turns black, then all Apple's cords have to turn black (iPods cables, etc.). And that'll never happen.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

who knows when they will change it or what it would look like, nobody knows.

7. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

They may start selling external trackpads before they do any innovation on the mouse (think Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh). Apple changes mouse design probably less frequently than any other product they make with the exception of the late 90's (puck mouse) through about 2002.

8. Buzz Bumble Guest

I have no problem with Apple's mouse or the scrollball ... well, no problem once I turn off all the extra buttons so that its back to being a single button mouse (I find that "squeeze" button is HIGHLY annoying and useless).

Apart from perhaps going to black (along with the keyboards) I can't see Apple making changes any time soon.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Those are my complaints for Logitech mice (MX Revolution stinks). My Mighty Mouse never failed me. Scroll ball always works unless you are eating some oily stuff with your fingers. My hand is more relaxed with the MM rather than the MX Revolution (cramp after cramp and then multiple cramps).

Onto answering the thread. I think the transition to aluminum/black will be imminent. White/grey is last generation. Apple will probably introduce some sort of external trackpad with multi touch and etc. I'm also hoping for a virtual keyboard (same size as current Bluetooth Apple keyboard, but not more keys).

10. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That's the polar opposite of my experience. IMO Apple should take a note from Logitech's book as far as mice go. The MX Revolution is as close to perfect as I've ever used in a mouse. The ergonomics are perfect for my hands, scroll wheels are logically placed and work well. I've had no problems with my MX Revolution whatsoever.

If Apple came out with something similar to the MX Revolution then I'd heavily consider it. But as is the ergonomics really need work, I absolutely cannot use the Mighty Mouse for extended periods of time because my hand cramps up. More buttons would be nice, my MX Revolution has a good amount of buttons, all of which I use on a regular basis and have really improved the speed of my workflow.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i like the 360 scroll wheel and the seamless bluetooth integration in OS X. but the touch buttons have had issues for me, the scroll wheel starts to play up after a while, is too low with no ergonomics and the white glossy plastic just gets dirty too easily for me.

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You must be holding it wrong. The longest I've used my MM was 24+ hours straight. No cramps.

Apple mice just work, unlike Logitech, which needs fiddling around in SL.

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i also dont get a sore wrist or fingers using the MM but i want a taller mouse for my big hands.

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Nope, it just doesn't fit to my hand at all... The MX Revolution molds to my hand though, and I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet, so I can't speak on that. Although I've heard that the problem relating to Exposé is because Apple moved the location of the files. I'm still on Leopard until I head down to an Apple Store though, so I don't know. I've always just had it set to the keyboard combinations though, so I shouldn't run into any problems anyway.

15. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

If you go through the Apple mouse patents, it shows some fun things. Such as multitouch areas on a mouse for starters. Don't have links to hand, but likely googleable.

16. Journojulz macrumors 65816

Journojulz

I know ergonomics is an individual thing, but i love the mighty mouse!

Fits my hand perfectly and if i keep my desk clean the ball doesn't jam.

Hate going back to work machines with pc mice that don't go sideways.

Long live the soapbar!

As for alternatives, the iPad should be a great touchscreen interface, and I am waiting for someone to do an iphone app for it!

17. maghemi macrumors 6502

My one biggest gripe I have with the mighty mouse is holding the button while lifting the mouse.

I find far far too often when you're holding the button and run out of desk space and need to lift it to move it over it lets the button go. Very annoying if you're trying to drag a file for example.

That is by far my biggest gripe with it.

I've gone with the Logitech S530 kit with the MX600 mouse. It's not light years ahead of the MM imho. But at least I can lift the mouse while holding the button. And to be honest the biggest reason I went with the kit is because apple don't do a wireless keyboard with a keypad. If they did that I'd probably be still using the MM and apple keyboard.

I'd definitely like to see a re-design, but I seriously doubt i'm going to see a full sized wireless keyboard.

18. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

When my mum got a iMac, she paid £15 extra for a wireless mouse. The scroll wheel on it is broken and left clicking sometimes works as right clicking. I have three cheap generic mice plugged into PCs and they all work fine, despite the fact that one of them is literally about 10 years old, and you can get mice like that for about £5 or less in any supermarket.

Apple dropped the ball on this one for sure.

19. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

hmmm, never liked the mighty mouse, it'd be nice if apple went with the keyboards design on a new mouse, maybe this time actually have a mouse with buttons too, im using a wireless trust DS-3700R mouse from a pc keyboard mouse set works a dream, and <3 right click <3

am i the only one that thinks the apple mouses not having right click without touching the keyboard is why most people have PC's instead a mac?

i know mouses are a very personal thing and that and fair play to those who love the mighty mouse, but urgh, i never got used to it, maybe if the next one comes with proper buttons and ditches that silly scroll wheel, i might be tempted,

but yeah it is about time for a update :)

20. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Apple mice are a monstrosity let loose upon this world. They're the crappiest, most unreliable mice I've ever used in my life. Logitech on the other hand, and as many here and around the world would agree make more ergonomic mice with tremendously more functionality than Apple mice.

21. jake.f macrumors 6502

They need to make a mouse that isnt so sh*t. The only thing the mighty mouse has going for it is the buttons on the side for expose.

22. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I have tried using both the MM and the MX Revolution. I had problems with both. Maybe it was because my MX Revolution was a refurb but the scroll wheel packed up after a month and would only occasionally work. However, I found the MX Revolution to be very comfortable.

I find the MM quite awkward to use (maybe because I'm use to PC mice) - I currently use a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse, but it just didn't feel natural at all.

I am still on the hunt for a good Bluetooth mouse though - recently used a Dell Travel Mouse which was nice but a tad small.

I really wish Apple would redesign the mouse. Maybe, not even changing it to aluminium (not even sure that'd feel right), but something to make it more comfortable and not so minimalist.

23. trip1ex macrumors 68000

It could use a few improvements.

Basically fix the hassles of the current one.

Not always detecting a right click because you had a finger barely touching the left side.

Side button eventually spazzing out and clicking itself rapidly without provocation.

Scroll ball always needs cleaning.

I'm sure Apple though is working on a totally new look. Maybe they will replace the mouse with a small touchscreen.

24. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...most people's MM are still wrapped in the original plastic...I know mine are...

25. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO