future proof 2011 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Mar 30, 2011.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

how future proof is 2011 mbp? will 2012 bring the end of optical drive and hd?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No consumer electronic device is future proof.

3. simsaladimbamba

No computer is future proof.
    And we don't know about the 2012 MBP, we only guess and speculate.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If Apple gets rid of the optical drive and the mechanical hard drive on the 2012, then yes, the 2011 is future proof since you will have those items built in for the future.

5. nwbusa macrumors regular

/shambo

6. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

They are right, your computer will eventually become obsolete. Just base your purchase decisions on your current needs and not because there is a faster and more powerful model out there that outpaces your current one.

7. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

You should ask Steve Jobs.

8. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

if the macbook air is the future of the macbook and macbook pro takes cues from the macbook air then the pro in 2011 is a bad buy. i dont like buying things before a major redesign to me a redesign is more important than a speed bump.

is the 2011 macbook pro using moving parts on the way out/ i dont want to be the guy who bought a rear projection tv then 1 year later everything is lcd and you cant even find a projector on the floor of your local best buy. is the mbp 2011 rear projection tv?

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Only a few at Apple know - and none of use are Apple (or the select few from Apple).
    What do you expect us to say? I think you just need to decide if you want to keep waiting or just buy now.

if you're asking if we would buy now or wait, I would buy now.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

A redesign is not more important if: 1. it is ugly 2. it removes functionality.

What is important is: Does the machine meet your needs today? Who cares what is coming out a year from now. You have no idea if it will be able to do what you want to do with a laptop today.

11. simsaladimbamba

How the **** should we know?
    It's not that we work for Apple, we just SPeCULATE and GUESS.
    And as there are many people who don't think like that, you could always buy the current generation and get rid of it when the new redesigned one comes around and still get good money from someone who doesn't care about such things, but wants a working machine and gladly Macs hold their value quite good.

12. titatom macrumors regular

Well, we can only speculate on that but I can assure you that SSD is the future and in a couple of years, when the prices come down, all computers might have SSds (and you will perhaps still be using your HDD 2011 mpb when that happens).

I think you can read between the lines...if you want to future proof your MBP a bit more, get an SSD ! ;)

regards !

13. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

At this point, our guess is as good as yours. You're asking the wrong crowd here, nobody knows what the future of the MBP will be like. If you're worried about it, wait until the next refresh and find out :)

14. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

i understand that a person cant future proof but how about the macbook air? when the macbook air was released i dont think it was the future of the notebook line. i felt like it was over priced and under powered. the 2010 macbook air seems different. what do you think, marketing or the future now?

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think "the future of notebooks" was a marketing term. All of the current Apple notebooks are fine for the "future"

16. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

i wonder if it is marketing. no mbp event last 2 years. macbook air the future of the macbook?

17. simsaladimbamba, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Even?
    Are you sure, that no MBP lasts more than two years? I hope you have some proof to your generalised statement.

Event?
    What event lasted two years?

Btw:
    [​IMG]

18. jimmie32 macrumors member

jimmie32

There's no accurate definition of "future proof". Really.
    Sure, the i7-2820QM 2.3GHz Quad is pretty fast and well, if new, way- better hardware came, then the software wouldn't support your now high-end 2820QM anyway. So...

This hardware is fast, fast, fast enough for the current software.

And well, to be honest, my PC Laptop is 4 years old. T7100@1.8GHz/800MHz 2GB RAM/GMA X3100 still works perfectly well for me.

Who said PCs can't hold for more than 5 years without problems?

Though I'm not a gamer.

19. LunaC macrumors member

I still like watching movies on my Pioneer Elite 64 RPTV, even with LCDs in the house. Dont confuse not being a "hot ticket item" with obsolete

Even if optical and magnetic is gone in 2012, you can upgrade the '11 MBP with the then current components or use TB to supplant the needs.

20. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Future Proof depends on the user. My 2007 17" MBP was future proof for 4 years for me, now it is not. I have a new one which will be future proof for likely another 4.

21. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

There is no such thing as future proof and I wish the term would die. It is actually extended usefulness and compatibility. The technology is already outdated by the time we get it.

22. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

23. smetvid macrumors 6502

Everything you will ever buy will be outdated in 6 months so you might as well give up and live as a hermit.

Seriously now you can't just look at Apple here. Apple is tied to the hardware that is out there. Intel just came out with their cpu revamp so don't expect another big jump in performance. DDR3 ram is here to stay for awhile as well so don't expect a big boost there.

Thunderbolt is it in terms of external ports. So don't expect any new age ports or the addition of ESATA or USB3.

So basically other then a redesign which may mean a slightly different looking case I don't expect much change. Are a optical drive and SSD storage enough for you to consider a current system outdated? You don't have to use the optical drive in the current machines and you can already add a SSD drive. So other then making an already light computer even lighter I just don't see a revolutionary design change.

Besides no Apple computer is ever made useless just because a new one comes out. There are award making film makers still editing on 2007 15" MBP's. Are these people limited because they are using older machines?

If you want a new system now then buy one now and stop getting hung up on having the latest and greatest specs. We Apple users get so hung up on having the latest that we forget what is really important. Us, not the machines.

24. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

its not about power for me. its about something new. like what i said before about lcd tvs. new chips dont matter to me what matters is a jobs keynote saying this is the future.

25. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Don't limit it to the Apple users. We wouldn't have this thread if it weren't for the gotta have the latest and greatest crowd (this includes, audio, cars, and lots of PC users).:D