Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Through my crystal ball..

Originally posted by The Grimace
I am currently working on my own set of software, which I hope to be able to run under Linux on a Zaurus, but until then I need a PC emulator.
(tig)

If you can run it under Linux, then why not compile it for OS X? Most Linux apps compile fine for OS X under X11. Then you avoid emulation and Windows altogether...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Re: Re: VPC, RealPC

Originally posted by Phil Of Mac

Uh, no. Announcing an OS X version of RealPC would lessen sales of the existing version as people choose to instead wait for the OS X version. The Osbourne effect.

Well, unless they advertized that if you bought the older version now, then you'd get an upgrade to the new version for free...

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
From what little I do know, AutoCAD is as much a standard as Adobe Photoshop or QuarkXPress was prior to the release of InDesign. Saying "Buy a CAD program for Mac" is like saying "Use GraphicConverter for image editing and PageMaker for desktop publishing".

As has already been indicated, this is really not true. AutoCAD is no longer as much of a standard as it used to be, and more and more people are moving away from it. AutoDesk is well aware of this, and they have their own new software offerings that are designed to replace AutoCAD at the high-end of various disciplines.

AutoCAD's hold on the market is based primarily on their proprietary file format. However, many other companies work to reverse-engineer it.

For what it's worth, VectorWorks is, in my opinion, an outstanding CAD package. And it's completely cross platform.

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
FWB RealPC refund!!

I called FWB last week after sending emails to all the addresses listed on the FWB page. I spoke with Mark about a refund for RealPC since it seems the OSX version will not be coming out anytime soon. I had purchased this a few months ago but he was agreeable. I had to go to the Kagi page where I purchased it and sent an email with the pertinant info. A few days later I received a note from Kagi saying my refund was credited to my account. I would encourage everyone who purchased RealPC for the OSX version to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.