FYI: New Mac Pro's Snow Leopard Only

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by anthemus, Sep 24, 2010.

1. anthemus macrumors regular

anthemus

Recently bought a new MacPro for work. We use Leopard as our standard OS. Upon trying to load it on a new Quad 2.8 Mac Pro it wouldn't boot. Quickly called Apple. It took one of there techs about 5 minutes before he was able to confirm that the New 2010 Mac Pro's do not support any Mac OS previous to Snow Leopard. So FYI to those wondering.

*Not sure about Boot Camp with versions Windows or Linux. I only use Mac OS.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Macs have not been able to install operating systems older than the one they shipped with for quite some time...

3. anthemus thread starter macrumors regular

anthemus

Thought I recall getting a 2.66GHz, "Nehalem" Quad-Core last fall with Snow Leopard but was still able to load Leopard on it.

Primarily posted because I couldn't find anything. Thanks for the heads up.

4. goMac macrumors 603

The Nehalems originally shipped with Leopard. Snow Leopard came out after the Nehalems.

Apple never backports their drivers. Leopard simply doesn't have all the drivers required to support the new Mac Pros.

5. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Quite.

This has been the case with every new mac after a system launch!!!

6. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

haha :)

I really thought this was common knowledge...
    even logical to me, but i'm quite techy

8. bobbydaz macrumors regular

Not entirely true as even the very last 2009 Mac pros that came installed with snow leopard could run leopard if you so wished.

9. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Thats because the only difference was processor speed.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

11. goMac macrumors 603

Again, the 2009 Mac Pros launched with Leopard, not Snow Leopard. I'm sitting at one right now and it did not come with Snow Leopard.

Snow Leopard was added as an upgrade later, but the machines still originally shipped with Leopard.

We're talking about the OS's that launched with the computers, not the OS's that came as an included software revision later.

12. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

that is what a cloned osx drive is for. If you had saved a clone of 10.5.6 and fully emptied the pro except for the osx it may boot.

13. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

This is your clue that it's time to upgrade. Jeez how long has it been now?

And I thought I was being all defiant by holding out for three months! ;)

Keep in mind Snow Leopard has a lot of video driver and performance improvements that'll probably make you a very happy camper anyway. And also, a lot of the problems it launched with like the SMB issues have been worked out.

14. myca macrumors 6502

One other exception to the rule was when the transition from OS9 to OSX was happening.

As I recall, support for OS9 was extended for longer than originally planned, but I guess that was a whole different matter.

I do wish they'd show a little bomb when the machines have a kernel panic, one of those little things I miss.

15. goMac macrumors 603

It won't. (I used to work in IT and dealt with this stuff all the time.) 10.5.6 will block a boot if it doesn't recognize the model of Mac Pro it's booting on.

16. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

It doesn't block anything, it just doesn't boot or kernel panics because the necessary software isn't there.