FYI: Retina MacBook Pro Batteries Not Replaceable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mojo1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

2. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

You're about a month late on that news there buddy ;)

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Talk about breaking news...

4. PaulAtkinson macrumors member

Actually, no.

I own a rMBP and I have been thinking the battery is replacable, just not by ME. This is actually NEWS to me (though not surprising).

5. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

It's all over the first page of this part of the forums. How you could miss it is beyond ME ;)

6. jcpb macrumors 6502a

Unsuccessful troll is five weeks old. :rolleyes:

7. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Hmm only thread in first 100 threads on macbook pro forums talking about it. Yep Id say its all over the first page alright.

8. dona83 macrumors regular

They'll replace it for you for $199. My Dell Vostro V13's batteries cost $169 for half the capacity and I have to do it my freaking self.

Apple will replace my 13" MacBook Pro's batteries for me for $139. That's service. :D

9. emailsfh macrumors member

These computers have been out for weeks, and the non user upgradability of these machines, including the battery, is definitely old news. The only reason it is not on the first page is because it is old news. But I suppose if you weren't on here in the first week or so they 2012s came out, you might not know that . . .

10. StuLax18 macrumors 6502

11. Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Better late than never! :p

It's news to me that so much of the rMBP has to be replaced in order to obtain a new battery. I had read that the battery is glued to the case but I hadn't seen the details outlined before today.

Yeah, I don't have a lot of time to read every post on Macrumors... :rolleyes:

OK, back to your rMBP Love Fest... Don't let me rain on your parade!

12. jcpb macrumors 6502a

WWDC slides of MBPR internals.

ifixit a few days later.

You're late by five weeks.

13. Tibits macrumors regular

No *****?! :confused:

Where's the downvote when you need it?

14. playsontheleft macrumors regular

People probably missed the part where batteries aren't replaceable because of all the fuss people were making over not being able to replace the RAM and flash storage in these. I knew that the battery was glued in but that's all. Definitely news to me - glad I ordered Applecare since my current laptop's battery is starting to go bad after just under three years of age!

15. avalys macrumors 6502

Just wait until this guy notices there is no optical drive.

16. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I didn't know this either and visit this Site almost daily. For those who haven't always been in the market for one or on top of news regarding it not everything is old.

17. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

The forum has been Facebooked.

18. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I know it may be naive of me, but I don't really see the big deal with a non-replaceable battery. I like how the rMBP is thinner than the cMBP and a bit lighter with a more advanced screen. Frankly, I prefer a thinner and lighter computer and if the 'price' is a non user replaceable battery, I'm ok with it. Eventually, I'll be forced to plug in the laptop to enjoy 3 hours of computing time, but when that happens, I suspect - for my usage - I'll be close to replacing the machine.

19. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If it's not user replaceable (which we all know) who cares how much they have to replace?

The more new parts I get for my $199, the better. :D

20. Mojo1, Jul 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2012

Mojo1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fyi...

I posted this update because it provides additional information that was not in the iFixIt article. As the linked article states: The finding makes the new MacBooks even less repairable than previously thought.

Of course, you wouldn't know this if you hadn't bothered to read the Electronista and TreeHugger articles...

21. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Maybe this issue has been beaten to death. (I certainly knew a long time ago that the battery was glued in.) However, I was a little surprised to hear that Apple service won't attempt to remove it themselves and will instead remove all the components from your machine and give you a whole new chassis (including trackpad) with your $200 battery replacement. This is going to cost them a *lot* of money in a few years when a bunch of those batteries come in for replacement.

The whole thing is just bizarre given that the battery in the smaller MacBook Air *is* removable. I almost wonder if the glued-in battery is the result of some manufacturing problem which will get resolved in a future revision.

22. emailsfh macrumors member

I'm not impressed with the rMBP and went for the normal 2012 MBP. I don't support this glued and sealed shut direction.

23. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You've got about 1 year left to buy an Apple portable, then.

24. ryane67 macrumors member

Exactly... or under applecare, "oh my battery is having intermittent problems" (dont mind the pitted aluminum palm rests, the worn-down keyboard, and the rest of the stuff they wouldn't typically replace :)

25. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I was very disappointed in the non-upgradeability of the machine. However, I bought one anyway, and am incredibly impressed. I really wanted a flash drive and just couldn't see spending more for the normal MBP with a 256GB flash drive. The display is truly amazing. I'm just glad I got a very good deal on AppleCare with my purchase. ;)