Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
I am currently on tech support with G-Technology and they believe that the G-Speed Shuttle TB3 is compatible with Apple Silicon M1 / Big Sur; however, I cannot get my drives to mount on the new M1 MacBook Pro. Has anyone had any luck mounting G-Technology RAID drives on their M1 Silicon machines?

Reactions: rogtrik

fotofuzzi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Hi bias, unfortunately i have the same problem with the M1 MacMini. I would like to hear about a solution!

bias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Hi bias, unfortunately i have the same problem with the M1 MacMini. I would like to hear about a solution!
Thanks for confirming it's not just my machine - I am keeping a close watch on their tech support for a solution. Nothing yet! They have not replied via twitter with a support ETA...

rogtrik

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
Having issues connecting with G-Speed Studio XL on M1 Mac Mini also. No solution yet but happy to find this post here. Will share if I hear back from G-Tech.

Reactions: bias

rogtrik

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2020
Speaking with G-Tech now and all they say is to take it up with Apple. Anyone have better luck with this?

bias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
They replied with the following via Twitter:

Hello Simon, we’re sorry to hear if you are having trouble with the unit on a new M1 Mac computer. We are working on an update to our G-Speed units that should be out in December. Please keep an eye on our website for when that is released. Need help? Please contact us.

fotofuzzi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
Thank you, we will have to wait....unfortunately i have Problems with Otter drives too... G-tech ssd and Atomos Master Caddy.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Wanted to throw in my hat here too - LaCie RAID enclosures are also not Apple Silicon ready. The LaCie RAID Manager RAID controller software required to use them has not updated the kernel extension for ARM architecture and does not work, so you can't mount LaCie external drives either.

Code:
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lacie.driver.mvumi.plist: Permission denied
grabko9000@Grabkos-Mac-mini ~ % sudo /Applications/LaCie\ RAID\ Manager/LaCie\ RAID\ Manager.app/Contents/Drivers/InstallDriver.sh
Password:
Kext user-space log filter changed from 0xff2 to 0xfff.
Kext kernel-space log filter changed from 0xff2 to 0xfff.
Kext library architecture set to arm64e.
Executing: /usr/bin/kmutil load -p /Library/Extensions/LaCieMvumi.kext
Incompatible architecture: Binary is for x86_64, but needed arch arm64e
/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lacie.driver.mvumi.plist: service already loaded
Load failed: 37: Operation already in progress

I do have a support ticket in with them and will update here if I get an ETA for an update.

Reactions: bias and Fazir

bias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Looks like this might be widespread with most RAID arrays. OWC originally announced out-of-the-gate compatibility with M1 / Big Sur but immediately retracted, and we're still awaiting a fix to use our Thunderbay 4s/8s.

Reactions: Fazir

The_appleman

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2020
Germany
Hello everyone

Is there any news on this topic? I received my mac mini with M1 on last wednesday. I have the same issue as you. I also opened a ticket at Western Digital. Since the transition from G-Technology to Western Digital we don't have some technical support from G-Tech in Germany....

I hope they will find a solution soon.

My old USB 3 Lacie Raid works fine with the Apple M1. It look like it's not a general raid problem.

Last edited:

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Hello everyone

Is there any news on this topic? I received my mac mini with M1 on last wednesday. I have the same issue as you. I also opened a ticket at Western Digital. Since the transition from G-Technology to Western Digital we don't have some technical support from G-Tech in Germany....

My old USB 3 Lacie Raid works fine with the Apple M1. It look like it's not a general raid problem.
What LaCie RAID do you have?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Is this an issue of hardware RAID versus software RAID? I’m running an OWC Mercury Pro Elite Pro Dock (hardware RAID) on my M1 Mini with no problem.

• Haha
Reactions: Neebee

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
This is why software RAID sucks. Instead of using HW RAID which is the proper way to do it. HW Raid Abstracts the process. The OWC Pro Elite is HW So it works.

Hardijs

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2019
here, at last
so - this means that managed-hard-raid units are mostly incompatible as they need kernel-level daemon or extension - those are not translated (excluded) by Roseta2
true hard-raid works (driverless ones)
true soft-raid solutions should not work as well until the software has been updated (the same reason as managed ones)

one does not want a beta-level driver for a hard drive...

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
so - this means that managed-hard-raid units are mostly incompatible as they need kernel-level daemon or extension - those are not translated (excluded) by Roseta2
true hard-raid works (driverless ones)
true soft-raid solutions should not work as well until the software has been updated (the same reason as managed ones)

one does not want a beta-level driver for a hard drive...
This is correct...apparently.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Dear MyopicPaideia,

Thank you for getting back to us with that information. My name is Stefano.

We apologize for the delay in the answer, due to the Coronavirus we experience a higher volume of emails, however we try our best to assist on these cases as soon as possible.
We investigated the case (and other similars) in our Laboratory and, as you correctly said, the issue is not due to the operating system (that is compatible with Lacie Raid Manager) but to the new M1 architecture.
We are waiting to receive from apple the protocols to be able to develop the Lacie Raid Manager software to be compatible with the new chips, please verify in next days on your official website when the new version will be available for download:
https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/support/software/lacie-raid-manager/

I hope that the information provided was useful to you. If not, please let us know what we could have done better to satisfy you today and well do everything in our power to achieve that. Please reply to this email with the information requested above. We will be happy to help you from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM GMT, Monday Friday. Weve also provided our support link down below in case you would like to contact us by phone at your convenience.

Regards,
Stefano
Lacie Support
https://support2.lacie.com/
servlet.ImageServer

Update from LaCie...

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
This is why software RAID sucks. Instead of using HW RAID which is the proper way to do it. HW Raid Abstracts the process. The OWC Pro Elite is HW So it works.
Software RAID is much higher performance, more flexible, and generally, besides compatibility issues like these, is generally a better solution. For 4-5 drive RAID enclosures, Software RAID is a much better solution.

Looks like OWC has a public Beta out for their SoftRAID drivers:

bias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Confirmed - SoftRAID recently released a public beta (b47 i think) which I have up and running on my M1 MacBook Pro. I am now able to access/control my two 4-drive RAID arrays as I could on my Intel Macs!

• Love
Reactions: MyopicPaideia

dweevo

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2020
Hello everyone

I have the same problem here with my new Mac mini M1 and the G Speed Shuttle w/ thunderbolt 3 — 32TB ... won't mount for anything, but will function just fine if I plug it into my older MacBook Pro. Created a ticket with WD/G Tech support and awaiting a reply.

damianleask

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2021
I have a G-Speed Shuttle RAID which also wouldn't mount on my M1 MacBook Pro - very disappointing. There is nothing on G-technology's website to help out. I managed to get it to work by downloading the new driver (R_MacDrv_V6_2_16) from the Promise website,

I think all the drivers are the same on that page.

The G-Speed made use of the Intel Ktext and now they have re-written it to work with M1 Macs. The install involves lowering the security at boot to load a non-Apple extension (there are very clear instructions downloadable from the Promise website) but quite frankly to get the RAID working, that's not a problem. It now works like it did before without issue for me - phew! I hope this helps as it was driving me nuts.

aygie

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
This. Just got my Mac mini today and needed to install these drivers to get my G-Tech Shuttle XL to work. Big thanks for posting this.

blade.k

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2019
I used

Stardom ST4-TB3+ 4bays Thunderbolt3 + 10TB HDD *4​

looks working good
but G-SPEED Shuttle XL with Thunderbolt 2 M1 BigSur can detectived device but no volume in disk utility
I will try damianleask`s sugest ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.