G4 Cube or a Mini?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JBazz, Oct 7, 2008.

1. JBazz macrumors 6502

Looking for an inexpensive desktop because my macbook has to go out for repair. Hoping to find someone who has both the mini and the cube to give me some solid (ahem) advice.

I absolutely adore the cube. I really want one of them. But when I start thinking about it being 8 years old.....

So if you wanted just a cheapo backup system desktop, which would you go for and why? Keep in mind I am a lady so LOOKS MATTER. :)

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Get the mini since you need to use a computer.

Using a MHz machine instead of MacBook would be frustrating.

I've been there before with wanted to buy a cube or a vintage Mac, but I don't have a few hundred to burn on a well designed paper weight.

3. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

A G4 Cube is great if all you plan on doing is browsing the web on it occasionally. But a 450mhz G4 Cube will start to show its age doing even that, especially with the flash heavy sites used today. You'd either need to spend some money to upgrade the processor, or just go straight for the Mini.

4. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Know any good, reputable businesses that will do my updates? Or better yet, that sell them updated?

5. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

The mini would be a much better bet.
    It Will do most of what your used to doing with your mac book.
    the g4 cube wont.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A Mini. A G4 Cube may look nice at first, but when things get screwy and slow, it won't look nice anymore.

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have both. I use the mini.

Just get a mini and upgrade the ram, then your done. To upgrade the cube is $$$, processor, graphics card, HD and ram. Ram for mini is cheap.

The cube is a great novelty item. Right now its a nice paperweight, as I have a mini, powermac, macbook. Going to implement it as a itunes server for a separate stereo system.

8. G5power macrumors 6502

I agree with Kellen that the cube is more of a novelty. My mini runs circles around my cube.

I have a 450MHz cube with 1.25GB of RAM and it is adequate for web browsing but definitely is a bit slow. When I bought the cube I realized the limitations but wanted to have it for the cool looks. I have it set up with a 17 inch Apple LCD and like how it looks.

In summary a used mini might be initially a little more money, but will be far more usable.

9. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

Get a low end Mini
    Get a dead Cube
    Fit Mini parts into Cube (hard part but possible)
    Be happy, cool and proud.
    :D

10. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Totally agree with this !!

Owned a Cube (450MHz) for about 3 years - bought Mini (1.25GHz) and it was like night and day - now have a MacBook....

Dead Cubes are not easy to find but there are plenty of guides on how to do the surgery.

11. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have time to think now. I was told my macbook would be shipped to be repaired and it would take 3 days. With the weekend approaching I had figured to get it back by monday.

Dropped it off today at 9:30 and had it back by 11. :eek:

I think I am going to get a cube and worry about upgrading at my leisure now.

12. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

To upgrade the Cube will cost more than a new Mini, and it still will not be anywhere near as fast as the Mini.

13. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

read my lips: DO NOT GET A CUBE

they look great but it would be a total waste of money. by the time you buy, one, and upgrade it, it would be just as expensive, if not more than a low end mini. and it will still be dead slow in comparison.

14. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah this is the ticket.

15. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

should be possible. i thought about this for a while but never had the time to do it. is there a guide that shows what is necessary to do it? i'm sure i could do it but i don't want to hunt weeks for a extension cable or a connector.

EDIT: found it: http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/03/how-to-turn-your-mac-mini-into-a-mac-cube/

16. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

Got my cube on eBay today. Here is the list number...

Now if anyone wants to answer a question about a monitor? I am considering getting the old Apple acrylic 23" HD studio display. Are these life limited like a TV?

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The point of this butchery has always escaped me. The G4 Cube is a classic computer, inside and out. If you want a mini, buy a mini. You don't need to destroy a Cube to get one.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The point of this butchery has always escaped me. The G4 Cube is a classic computer, inside and out. If you want a mini, buy a mini. You don't need to destroy a Cube to get one.

19. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont want a mini. And modification is not the same as destroy.

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Destroying is exactly what you are doing, no question about it. Clearly you don't appreciate the excellence of the Cube design, which is far more than skin deep.

21. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

wow. kicking it old school! the acrylic Apple Cinema Display was actually 22"... and i'm not sure if it was 16:10 like the current ACD either. here's a listing for one at $699. now remember those had ADC cables so considering your going to update the guts for a mac mini you'll probably need a DVI to ADC adapter. they are not cheap. so you're retro desktop display will cost you $799 while you can get a refurb 23" ACD for $899. and the new ones of course have a much smaller footprint. as for your question if they are life-limited i know two people who have the 22" acrylic used everyday in a post house and they haven't died yet.

22. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

The Cube is a Classic. What did it cost you? If it still boots OK, I would keep it as is for nostalgia.
    Any LCD monitor has a limited life, much shorter than the old CRT monitors that seemingly last forever.

23. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

The cinema displays are going for much less than that locally. There is a man with two of them and wants $250 apiece.

As for the adapter, the cube I got on eBay is already seriously modded so not sure if I will need to do the mac mini stuff or not. My plan is to use it and see how it goes.

24. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

my inlaws have a cube and it is painfully slow on most websites- I try to keep it updated and clean, but the processor AND low memory contributes to it moving through the internet as slow as molasses.

Get the mini and it will give you something you are more used to as well as the resale value if you want to dump it after a while.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Keep in mind if you want to use an ADC display with the Cube you will want to keep it relatively stock, with the ADC video card. That way you get use of the power button on the display, which is one of the great features of the Cube. Also be aware of the CPU upgrade options for the Cube -- which can make it completly useful without destoying it.