Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Mines a Dual 1.8Ghz Rev B, with 3GB RAM and an nVidia 6800 Ultra DLL. I can run 720p fine, but when theres lots of action it can stutter here and there in normal quicktime/VLC. I always put CPU to highest or auto when playing HD, same result.

I thought I could use this to improve the situation, but to no avail =/

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
G5's Altivec works great on my Quad G5.

Thats an extremely vague statement. Maybe provide the top gigaflop rating of your system when using altivec code.

My G4 7448 1.8GHz is capable of about 14.1 gigaflops. It's also a newer chip than all the G5's.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Guess would have to stick in QT then. There is a lag as well in QT playing the videos I have dl'ed but not so choppy compared to the MPlayer.

Anyway, I am not keen into playing HD as well, just tried out if it works with my rig.

On my Safari, flash is playing better than h.264.

Play any average quality DivX rip in mplayer and I guarantee it will use half the CPU of QT on your Mac. You're doing something wrong in the first place when you base the performance of an app on a file that is outside the systems performance to begin with.

As I mentioned already I have ran this same app on my MDD's in 2007 and it performed amazingly better than QT w/Perian or any other player. If you have a different experience on the same OS and hardware then there is obviously something you're overlooking. The evidence is there in other peoples praise for it here in the thread and my screens.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
probably, maybe you are right. i will take a look into it again once i am back on my dualie 1.42.. :D

I am on the field again right now, so back to my ever reliable hackbook.

thanks.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Wow, this is amazing.

I just tried it on my 1.42 MDD, then ran a quick comparison with Quicktime.

MPlayer plays Avi and MKV files without any problems, as well as my mid-2010 Mac Mini. Insane.

CPU load is mid 20's while playing either an Avi or MKV video...
Quicktime is 48-75% CPU load.

Fantastic post, very helpful!

Thanks,
Dean

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Wow Jeff, this is amazing.

I just tried it on my 1.42 MDD, then ran a quick comparison with Quicktime.

MPlayer plays Avi and MKV files without any problems, as well as my mid-2010 Mac Mini. Insane.

CPU load is mid 20's while playing either an Avi or MKV video...
Quicktime is 48-75% CPU load.

Fantastic post, very helpful!

Thanks,
Dean

You're welcome. :)

Last edited:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
I recently contacted the developer of this optimized mplayer and they have no future plans to update this. Thats fine anyway since this runs great on 10.4 and 10.5.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Thats an extremely vague statement. Maybe provide the top gigaflop rating of your system when using altivec code.

My G4 7448 1.8GHz is capable of about 14.1 gigaflops. It's also a newer chip than all the G5's.

Speaking of vague statements... =P 14.1 GFLOPS in what? I hit about 36 GFLOPS in AltiVec Fractal@4x2.5.

AltiVec is technically capable of 8 FLOPS per clock in theory, so your G4 has a peak performance of 14.4 GFLOPS; the Quad G5 theoretically should be capable of 80.

GFLOPS aren't very meaningful measurements of performance, though.

I'm going to try this app on my Beige G4/1000

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
So far, Quicktime seems to be working better for me too. I can watch this Felicia Day video in 720p (as downloaded via MacTubes) in Quicktime with no dropped frames. Flawless. CPU at about 70%.

In mPlayer, it's like a slide show. I don't even get the sense that I'm watching a video. I get a new frame every 3 seconds or so.

I'm on an MDD dual 1.5 with a R9800 running Leopard.

From Quicktime's movie inspector:

AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
H.264, 1280 × 720, Millions
fps: 29.97
playing fps: 30
rate: 2128.54 kbits/s

I'm curious now. I wonder why people are getting such different results with this. I think I'll try some more codecs. I wonder if different video cards could be playing a role.

BTW, zen.state, I dig that pic of your sawtooth. Nice work.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
So far, Quicktime seems to be working better for me too. I can watch this Felicia Day video in 720p (as downloaded via MacTubes) in Quicktime with no dropped frames. Flawless. CPU at about 70%.

In mPlayer, it's like a slide show. I don't even get the sense that I'm watching a video. I get a new frame every 3 seconds or so.

I'm on an MDD dual 1.5 with a R9800 running Leopard.

From Quicktime's movie inspector:

AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
H.264, 1280 × 720, Millions
fps: 29.97
playing fps: 30
rate: 2128.54 kbits/s

I'm curious now. I wonder why people are getting such different results with this. I think I'll try some more codecs. I wonder if different video cards could be playing a role.

BTW, zen.state, I dig that pic of your sawtooth. Nice work.

h.264 is a codec mplayer sometimes struggles with. The great results people are getting are with other codecs like DivX etc.

Also, maybe don't base an apps performance on how it deals with one file and codec. Widen the scope a little.

ThunderSnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
h.264 is a codec mplayer sometimes struggles with. The great results people are getting are with other codecs like DivX etc.

Also, maybe don't base an apps performance on how it deals with one file and codec. Widen the scope a little.

Yup. Getting that. Trying some more stuff. Dramatic difference with Xvid--Less than half the CPU demand of Quicktime. Cool. Gonna try some 1080p tomorrow.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Does anyone know where I can find this version? The link Zen posted has expired on MediaFire, and I can't find a version of MPlayer with the "Altivec" checkbox in the preferences.

I just resurrected an iMac Lampshade 800 and would like to use it in my bedroom via iPhone VLC on my bed as a nice little TV.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Does anyone know where I can find this version? The link Zen posted has expired on MediaFire, and I can't find a version of MPlayer with the "Altivec" checkbox in the preferences.

I just resurrected an iMac Lampshade 800 and would like to use it in my bedroom via iPhone VLC on my bed as a nice little TV.

Try this. It is a direct download link to a DMG. He doesn't say what the version is, but on his blog, he recommends version 1 for a Mac of your speed. You can view most of the releases of MPlayer here.

Dimbles

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Current download link

Try this. It is a direct download link to a DMG. He doesn't say what the version is, but on his blog, he recommends version 1 for a Mac of your speed. You can view most of the releases of MPlayer here.

Thanks for your link. However, I tried to play a few different x264 files on my 933MHz Quicksilver and the video doesn't render properly. The screen is mainly grey, with splashes of colour appearing here and there. Surely the OP couldn't be referring to version 1.0?

Can anyone please provide the version in the OP? At least then I can search for it.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Thanks for your link. However, I tried to play a few different x264 files on my 933MHz Quicksilver and the video doesn't render properly. The screen is mainly grey, with splashes of colour appearing here and there. Surely the OP couldn't be referring to version 1.0?

Can anyone please provide the version in the OP? At least then I can search for it.

Optimized or Leopard:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/28298/mplayer-osx-extended

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.