Gah! Why don't they make the Zune mac compatable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by G5Unit, Nov 27, 2007.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

The Zune looks more and more appealing everyday. I consider it the best contender to the iPod(ipod nano actually). Why can't we have alternatives?

Who is behind the decision? Apple with iTunes or Microsoft?

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

That would be Steve and Bill more that likely! :D

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

uuhh because M$ makes it... they dont want apple to be compatible with it.

personally i wouldnt touch a zune with a 10foot usb cable :p

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Same reason a lot of crap is not Mac compatible......it's crap...

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

well said mate

6. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Because we have the iPod for that. And yes, it's Microsoft's decision.

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

8. Matt355 macrumors newbie

Matt355

I to am considering buying a zune, the 3.2 inch screen is much better than the classic, and 80gb hard drive compared to the iPod touch, at $399.99 vs $249.99 is incredible, I love Apple Products and have purchased, a 30g iPod, original Ipod mini, and shuffle, and a Sent numerous letters prior to the iPod touch, to request they make what is now the Zune, but until now, there was no competition, there was no reason to listen, don't get me wrong, i'm still waiting for flash memory to drop, hoping for a 30g iPod touch, but if that doesn't happen before the end of Jan 2008, or song bird updates their software to run the zune natively, then I'll be using the zune, running in vmw fusion or parallels ? and if that won't work, I'll install boot camp, its customers like me and all the readers of this forum that have made apple great, and a good number of us even helped Microsoft become great, after apple stopped listening the first time,and had to get a loan from Microsoft, years later, they could have made the new zune instead of Toshiba/microsoft, and offered it to their customers instead of the classic, or added another hundred to the touch and sold it with 30g hard drive but once again, their not listening.

9. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

i think you are in the minority there. The zune is a piece of crap, thats why they aren't selling and iPod have the market. More importantly, the iPod has iTunes, I would hate to have to waste my time with that crappy digital music organizer that Microsoft has.

10. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

It's a microsoft call. They don't want it to work.

Apple have done ok so far with the iPod. They know where they are taking it.
    Your plan doesn't fit their marketing strategies. They'll probably go their way with it.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup im afraid i have to agree.. i have not met one person that like the zune, let alone would buy one, apart from the user above....

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Agreed, that's why it was on sale at every store for Black Friday, they just needed an excuse for getting rid of that thing. We have one on display in our store and I took it for a test drive, but got frustrated that I couldn't stop the FM transmitter and find a menu. I'm pretty good with electronics, but that thing just pissed me off. Maybe I'm just biased, I dunno.

13. tristan macrumors 6502a

Call up Microsoft and ask them and tell us what they say. BTW that's the company that had "ipod amnesty" bins where employees were supposed to dump their iPods and switch to the Zune.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you're going for the Zune, you might as well go for the whole hog and opt for the better home entertainment platform - Windows.

15. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

The reason is simple: because in their dream world where the Zune sees off the iPod and becomes the dominant music player, they want the handy by-product of freezing out the Mac and making it less attractive to the consumer.

It's the same thing they are doing with DRM video downloads (e.g. BBC iPlayer) except in this case they are dominant and it is working.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I wouldn't mind having a Zune, they're not crap, people. You're entitled to your opinion after you try it (cough*DoFoT9*cough)

But right now I have my eye on a 4G 20 GB iPod this time.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wonder how many people dumped their Zunes for the iPods sitting in the bins. :confused:

18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lolz or from the things that you read from it :p

19. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Do Microsoft wonder why the Zune is selling so bad when it's locked to Windows only and only available in the US?

That said my cousin imported a load to sell here, and yea, they're a bit naff. As I keep saying I'd love them to be good and to give Apple a run for their money. But WTF they've got to compete against the iPod Touch and Classic. And they're not as good as either.

When will the iPod get some real competition?

20. wronski macrumors 6502

Have you guys used one of the new Zunes, specifically gotten a chance to use the interface? If you haven't then you're just naive, if you have then you should, assuming that you have a sense of objectivity, recognize that it is at the very least a reasonable competitor to the iPod. My opinion is that the interface on the Zune beats iPod nano and iPod classic, it looks and responds in a much more modern way. The new hardware designs are also 100-times more well-thought-out than the previous model they had, perhaps they had some help from the Xbox team.

21. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

microsoft is microsoft they dont want to make it compatible for Macs because they will make more money and they just plain dont like Apple (i did not capitalize microsoft because it sucks!)

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I've met 8 year olds more mature than you.

If it wasn't for Microsoft, Apple wouldn't exist.

23. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Considering that MS does not even allow it's employees to have iPods, I'd say Zune/Mac compatibility is a minor issue.

Ballmer even forbids his kids from having iPods, or anything Mac related.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, proof? MS can't dictate what employees can and cannot buy and use outside of work.

25. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes