Galaxy S4 already outdated by Galaxy S4 Snapdragon 800

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Technarchy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Well that didn't take long. This might be a record by even Samsung standards.

GS4 released in April. Updated model pops up only 60 days later. And people complained about the iPad 4's quick release.

http://pocketnow.com/2013/06/25/galaxy-s-4-lte-a

[​IMG]

These things are boxed and ready to go
    [​IMG]

2. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

3. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

This is unfortunate. my friend purchased a normal GS4, he must be feeling burned.

4. Krimsonmyst macrumors 6502

I bought a normal gs4, I don't feel burned.

The tangible effect between a snapdragon 600 and 800 in real world use will be negligible. There is nothing that really slows the 600 down as it is.

As for lte-a, it's a nice addition, but again, I don't ever feel that my regular speeds are ever lacking.

5. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

6. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

Yeh guys i doubt this will be out for ages wherever you are from, isnt lte a only live in parts of moscow? Never understand why ppl complain when new tech becomes available

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Its just one of the galling things about buying an Android flagship over buying an iPhone. At least with the iPhone you know you have the latest version for 12 months or more. Android its a whole different story.....

So that's S4 Snapdragon, S4 Exynos and now S4+ (lteA), S4 Google edition as 4 direct SKU's of main handset alongside S4 Active, S4 zoom, Mega 5.9, Mega 6.3, S4 mini etc...

----------

Its just people like to know or feel that their new baby is the bestest baby in the world.. Not that in some other parts of the world - their babies have super powers.

8. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

9. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That's what I'm waiting for.

10. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well from what I'm reading the 800 beats out the 600 in terms of battery AND performance.

11. daveathall macrumors 68000

daveathall

Must admit that if they were side by side I would pick the newest and more powerful model, but TBH, I'm more than happy with my S4 that I got more or less on launch day, tis not causing me any stress. The OP's original point is well made though, some people do want the most up to date and would not like such a short time between the release of their phone and a better version after shelling out a not inconsiderable amount of cash.:)

12. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I have heard this too. Obviously if you are a current owner of the s4 you are happy, but you cannot deny the WTF feeling.

13. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

I own a S4, and not a trace of the WTF feeling here.

14. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Nice troll thread.

Check his post history people.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

That's because there is still some detachment.

If it was available in the stores there now replacing the existing snapdragon model then I'm sure you would feel naturally a little irked, much as anyone would.

However as it is possibly only releasing in a few territories the likelihood of ever seeing one in the wild is substantially diminished and likewise any WTF feeling is adverted.

If Samsung do decide to launch this throughout the rest of europe / north america and replace the existing Snapdragon models, then folks will have a justifiable reason to be peeved, but until then it's just remains one of the little annoyances / niggles with android.

----------

In fairness we knew this model was coming a few weeks back however it was touted to be called the S4+ (plus) rather than the S4 LteA (I think I prefer + as a name)....

Like I say unless Samsung decide to launch this worldwide in placement of the existing snapdragon model (and there is NO indication that this is the case) then there is no need to be 'peeved' - but maybe just a little niggled.

It will be interesting to see what Q3 / Q4 handsets and phablets bring on now however...

16. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

some asian countries like singapore, japan already have LTE in place...and US as well

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

not LTE-A though

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

SK exclusive with LTE-A. They had to go to the new processor because it was the only SoC with LTE-A support.

19. nick_elt macrumors 68000

nick_elt

not talking about normal lte

20. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Samsung should release a Sprint-only phone called the Galaxy S4 GPRS-Advanced.

21. skratch77 macrumors 65816

Calm down op! There was a dual core and quad core version of the gs3.

In the USA we got a dual core and Europe got a quad.there is already a way faster version of the gs4 that uses arm a15 cores that is still clock for clock faster then the snap dragon 800 and that is the Korean 1.9 GHz exynos 5 version.

Did you ever think that Samsung has ran out of s600 socs and snapdragon moved on to the s800? Maybe take a peak at how many gs4s were sold and the only reason everyone didn't get an exynos 5 was that Samsung could not make enough to keep up with demand so just used a competitors soc to fill demand.

I own a gs4 and could give a crap about the s800,its just a faster clocked s600(same exact cores)with a better GPU.

The exynos 5 is still on another level and will eat up any non reference design arm soc.

I'm more pissed we didn't get any exynos 5 soc then some markets getting a s800.

Clock the exynos 5 at the same MHz as the s800 and it will blow the doors off it.

22. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

If they were at the same price I for sure would choose the Snapdragon 800, but if the 800 would be just 1 € more, I would take the 600.

I am sure, I couldn't tell the difference between them in real life.

23. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

For all we know, it's still limited to a Korean release.

However, you can't deny that the Snapdragon 800 is a beast.

24. Fireblade macrumors 65816

Fireblade

Absolutely not, the 800 is a beast for sure ;)

25. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

A few things to note here. This is a South Korea exclusive, and secondarily, LTE-A is only available in one place in the world, and that is South Korea. See the trend here?