Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
@mi7chy on the other hand, without a pen + digitizer, this is going to be much easier to root and install vanilla Android onto. It's difficult with the Note because you lose a lot of the features (and what features you don't lose, are buggy).

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I just can't trust samsungs software department. Most of the time the way they solve software issues, like ram management this time around, is to sell you a new device. Which definitely contributes to the quick price depreciation.

They have the best technical hardware In the business aside from arguably apples a series processor. Makes me sad :(

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
@mi7chy on the other hand, without a pen + digitizer, this is going to be much easier to root and install vanilla Android onto. It's difficult with the Note because you lose a lot of the features (and what features you don't lose, are buggy).
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've seen CM has a decently long bug list when it comes to samsung devices. At this point I would not buy a samsung device with the intention of running CM due to the hassle. And I always run rooted android or jailbroken iOS so it's not laziness :p

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That would be great to have happen! The S6 Edge Plus rooted with some enhancements will be great. Even better if the BL gets unlocked and we could flash ROMS.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Pen/digitizer has little to nothing to do with ability to root and install custom ROM. Custom ROM is determined by unlocked bootloader. Been there done that with custom ROMS but no longer care for it since stock is usually the most stable with everything working.

Reactions: gotluck

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I don't think it matters to Samsung tbh as they are still going to be Samsung users regardless. It's also not like they are buying a 'cheaper product' either. They clearly expect some to go for the S6 Edge + instead.

Personally though the extra 1gb is a bit of a kick in the teeth for existing users who are having certain insufficiencies with their device. Depending on price I may upgrade to it myself, but it does sound like confirmation that the 3gb in the S6/S6 Edge is somewhat insufficient and potentially those with issues won't see a fix...

Yeah I agree, I was just saying out of curiosity I wonder how many defect. The "new and shiny" sickness is evident in how popular the S6 edge is, I'll bet it affects phablet consumers as well, especially if the specs and price are similar.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Pen/digitizer has little to nothing to do with ability to root and install custom ROM. Custom ROM is determined by unlocked bootloader. Been there done that with custom ROMS but no longer care for it since stock is usually the most stable with everything working.

Agreed, The only device that can really run roms without issues is nexus because of the documentation & drivers

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I think his point was there aren't any custom Vanilla Android (to my knowledge) ROMs with stylus/digitizer support, certainly not an official one. All of the one I've seen either are the stock Note ROM modified. Even the CM build for the Note 4 does not have stylus support. Although this is a couple months back when I was actually futzing with ROMs so I may have outdated info. So a Note 5 owner would be out of luck if he wanted vanilla android on his device.

The other edge of the blade (no pun intended) is that with a vanilla ROM you would lose support for the edges. I suppose if the screen still stretches all the way it's no big loss as I haven't seen any must have edge apps.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone else notice that the curved back on the Note 5 really resembles the curved front on the S6E+? It's almost as if they just used the same frame for both but just reversed them. I know they are different dimensions and thickness, I just thought it was interesting they reused but reversed the curved design on both.

Attachments

• note5_case.jpg
    note5_case.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 110
  • untitled (2).png
    untitled (2).png
    236.5 KB · Views: 103

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I don't get that kind of comment. If they add a more upgraded powerful processor does that mean the last generation model was somehow deficient in some way? If they upgrade the camera does that mean the last camera somehow wrong?
They always add features and upgrades from one model to the next. That doesn't mean the previous modal had flaws and that was the reason for the upgrades. The whole mobile industry has been moving to 4GB of ram...not just Samsung.
Here is a list of 10 phones with 4GB of ram....

http://www.phonearena.com/news/10-recent-new-and-upcoming-4GB-RAM-smartphones-and-tablets_id65141

Even the Moto X 2015 is supposed to have 4GB

moto_x_3rd_gen_copy.jpg

You do get the point I was making. Myself and others have suffered with ram problems with the existing S6. Yes I know you haven't but that doesn't negate those of us who have. 4gb could potentially solve the issue, and 'if' Samsung have decided that the S6 Edge + needs 4gb (we assume it has same software as existing S6 Edge) to run better only a mere 4 months after launching the previous model - it does look like confirmation that 3gb was insufficient in the first place, and potentially those of us with ram problems may not see a 'fix' on current model. We're not talking a 'next generation' upgrade here on a yearly cycle upgrade. We're talking about a device released very shortly after.

Last edited:

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I think his point was there aren't any custom Vanilla Android (to my knowledge) ROMs with stylus/digitizer support, certainly not an official one.

Pen support is part of standard Android API. I've used CM10/11/12 on the Note II and pen apps work fine. Only thing you lose is Samsung specific pen software features.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
You do get the point I was making. Myself and others have suffered with ram problems with the existing S6. Yes I know you haven't but that doesn't negate those of us who have. 4gb could potentially solve the issue, and 'if' Samsung have decided that the S6 Edge + needs 4gb (we assume it has same software as existing S6 Edge) to run better only a mere 4 months after launching the previous model - it does look like confirmation that 3gb was insufficient in the first place, and potentially those of us with ram problems may not see a 'fix' on current model. We're not talking a 'next generation' upgrade here on a yearly cycle upgrade. We're talking about a device released very shortly after.
I don't think you got my point. I did not bring up anyones experiences. Nor did i negate anyones experiences.

My point was Samsung is adding 4GB of ram....not to correct anything. The whole flagship mobile space is moving to 4GB of ram in their flagship phones. Feck....even Motorola is rumored to be adding 4GB of ram in the Moto x 2015. Are they correcting anything?
Did you see the link about the 10 mobile phones with 4GB of ram now and to be released soon? 4GB is going to be the norm for flagship phones.

Stop being so defensive :)

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bummer. :(

But hey, at least it's pretty. :D

Actually they were my exact thoughts after setting it up fresh after updating it to 5.1.1 and using it for a while. :)

It's still one of the most aesthetically pleasing devices regardless of its foibles.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Actually they were my exact thoughts after setting it up fresh after updating it to 5.1.1 and using it for a while. :)

It's still one of the most aesthetically pleasing devices regardless of its foibles.

Does it memory leak/not keep anything in memory like the other S6s?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Does it memory leak/not keep anything in memory like the other S6s?
It's the same as my previous black S6 Edge in that it's fine until your running more than say 4-5 apps and then the apps begin refreshing content when switched via recent button.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's the same as my previous black S6 Edge in that it's fine until your running more than say 4-5 apps and then the apps begin refreshing content when switched via recent button.
Actually I don't know if it is as bad as my previous one. OK I do get 'reloading' of things like Tapatalk but at least it's not dropping me out of the app entirely like it did previous.

It feels somehow more tolerable than downright annoying now. Only after a day the battery seems better too. Even fingerprint scanner seems more accurate.

Hopefully it behaves, will have a better view of the situation after a few more days but i'm regaining hope (and i do love the colour).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.