Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It is funny to watch all the samsung hate in this thread and the Note 5 thread. I have seen people complain that the Note 5 doesn't have a SD Card or removable battery....."so I'm getting an iphone!" Yet the iphone doesn't have those things either. Apple gets a pass on their requirements for a new phone.

I think what these people are saying is that features like the expandable memory and replaceable battery were differentiating factors and that with those gone, and all other things being equal, maybe they prefer the user experience of iOS vs. TouchWiz.

Or they bring up the stock feel of Moto phones. Yet give them a pass on their horrible cameras and overall bad user experience and plastic build material.

Well, it's all about one's perceived value. Yes, the Moto X doesn't have as good of a camera or display but its plastic build quality is among the best (of those still using predominantly non metal or glass materials), it has a UI that is quite different from TW, it offers hardware customization, and they're far cheaper than their Samung counterparts. They may just find more value there vs. Samsung's offerings.

How are Motos sales compared to the rest of the Android OEMs? People don't want stock look and feel they want features that work.

You've been critical of using the 'sales argument' in the past so let's leave it out here as well, because it's just as irrelevant. People don't buy a phone because it sells the best. And if they do, well then they are just idiots.

People hold Samsung to a different set of standards then they do other OEMs. Everyone here complained about plastic Samsung phones....but then when Samsung upgrades to the best hardware of all the rest of the Android OEMs, still these same people complain and complain. It is really funny to watch them........yet they keep buying Samsung phones and keep complaining about them.

Its always going to be like this for the market leaders. The top dogs always have a target on their back--people love rooting for the underdog. Nobody has any sympathy for the Yankees or Red Sox or their fans when they have a subpar season (apologies to my fellow members who aren't American for the U.S.-centric sports analogy--I'm guessing it's the same for the top European football clubs like Man U, Barcelona, etc as well ;)). And let's face it...Apple and Samsung are strong rivals and their fans tend to often behave in the same fashion.

Don't like TW....don't buy a Samsung phone. Don't like Samsung's memory mangement......don't buy a Samsung phone.
It pretty simple really. Just stop complaining like a bunch of old women with nothing better to do.

Agreed...except for the last part. Why else do we come here. :D;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Sales aren't what they expected for Samsung. Hopefully they take notice and add the features people want and not listen to the pundits.

I think Samsung is facing a real tough, uphill battle here. Those who prefer iOS can only go one place to get their fix and this somewhat insulates Apple. As MRU articulated so well, Samsung has to compete with Apple but also faces likely tougher competition from other Android OEMs. There are more Android OEMs than ever, offering a user experience that is often not that different or even better, all usually coming in at a lower price. We're now seeing more and more choices like the new Motos, One Plus, Asus ZenPhones and other offerings (rise of the Chinese OEMs??) that don't appear much different (if at all) to the general consumer yet are severely undercutting them in price. The bulk of Samsung's mobile profit comes from the margins on their high end decides and continued sales decreases in this segment means continues revenue/profit loss. And I personally don't see how they get out of this rut. o_O

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This looks somewhat interesting....
I am loving that color of the phone!

galaxy-s6-edge+-cover.jpg

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/08/07/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-keyboard-cover-leaked/

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I would hazard a guess that the software will be identical between the S6e and S6e+

This is kinda sad IMO. Apple got so much crap for the 6+ just being a big iPhone, where the Note 5 was substantially different than the S5. Samsung better load up the edge with multi window and some cool phablet stuff and differentiate it from the smaller one.

I'm also still bummed they didn't do a double curved edge similar to the single one on the Note Edge. That's would have been sick IMO and really turned heads.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If your talking about the S6 and S6 Edge, it's not really selling bad, its just not where investors and Samsung thought it would be.

Yep. It's not selling as well as either the S4 or surprisingly the S5. To be honest Samsung's Galaxy flagship S devices peaked with the S3 - selling most units.

The S4 sold significantly less, the S5 less again over S4 and yes surprisingly the S6 less than S5.

We're still talking millions of units but just not the level of Apple's iPhone sales.

The Note series on the other hand has seen sales grow but still not enough to offset the targets / missed goals of the Galaxy flagship.

They are still selling more than all their android competitors flagships by significant margin - but the 'heydays' of S3 flagship sales have eluded them since its release. But in the intervening years we have seen far more android OEMS and increasing competition. The mid range phone sector is probably where growth really is and where majority of potential audience actually is, we have reached a peak and now have a plateau as far as demand in the flagship device area goes.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Lol. All that time and effort to create an aesthetically pleasing device and they create a case that sticks a god ugly keyboard that looks like it's from children's PDA circa 2005 ...

Agreed. :eek: That's not an accessory to be proud of. There's a reason why you don't generally see smartphones with a hardware keyboard anymore. ;)

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
That things is ugly. It does look like something from a pda. But, why would you need it? What's wrong with the on-screen keyboard?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Full...heet-and-prices-leak-it-wont-be-cheap_id72515

If this is the price....probably count me out....considering the battery size and storage size. I thought 799 euros would be about $884, but none-the-less...that price is high. The battery won't be big enough to solve the problem we see with the s6 edge, at least I don't think it will be.

Plus, I have the iphone 6s+ reserved for a discount with tmobile (essentially $216 off whatever model I get)...so I just don't know if the price will be justified for me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Full...heet-and-prices-leak-it-wont-be-cheap_id72515

If this is the price....probably count me out....considering the battery size and storage size. I thought 799 euros would be about $884, but none-the-less...that price is high. The battery won't be big enough to solve the problem we see with the s6 edge, at least I don't think it will be.

Plus, I have the iphone 6s+ reserved for a discount with tmobile (essentially $216 off whatever model I get)...so I just don't know if the price will be justified for me.

I predicted it was going to costly ... I'd imagine reality is it'll start at €899/949 for the 64gb here. That would still make a 128gb model over €1k

With that price in mind what is the Note 5 going to retail at if it's essentially the same hardware plus additional s-Pen? It maybe one of the reasons it might not see release in Europe?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
I predicted it was going to costly ... I'd imagine reality is it'll start at €899/949 for the 64gb here. That would still make a 128gb model over €1k

With that price in mind what is the Note 5 going to retail at if it's essentially the same hardware plus additional s-Pen? It maybe one of the reasons it might not see release in Europe?
True...or it could be the same price or cheaper.

Depends on what the value the spen at. The edge was more expensive than the s6 due to the screen, and it being the premium model. So we will see what happens.

I really think Samsung is missing a bit of an opportunity here. Profit is important, but with shirking market share, they could risk less profit per device in order to get a wider share. Maybe, maybe not?

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Samsung just might price themselves out of a hit if these rumors are true. But then there were other rumors that they weren't going to price it so high. Well it is almost here since will know in 2 days.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Samsung just might price themselves out of a hit if these rumors are true. But then there were other rumors that they weren't going to price it so high. Well it is almost here since will know in 2 days.

True, the price I said above is the s6e pricing now so I'm assuming the S6e+ will match its pricing and current model come down.

The pricing is going to be a major factor and I hope they don't price themselves out of the game, or rely on carrier subsidies to reduce price. The 64gb s6e on a 2 year contract at €40 a month is still €500 here subsidised!!! Which is getting ridiculously high for a contract phone.

If the S6e+ releases any higher I can't see it doing well at all.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
True, the price I said above is the s6e pricing now so I'm assuming the S6e+ will match its pricing and current model come down.

The pricing is going to be a major factor and I hope they don't price themselves out of the game, or rely on carrier subsidies to reduce price. The 64gb s6e on a 2 year contract at €40 a month is still €500 here subsidised!!! Which is getting ridiculously high for a contract phone.

If the S6e+ releases any higher I can't see it doing well at all.
Agreed....I don't think the Note 5 will be that high though. It doesn't have the added cost of the dual curved screens.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Agreed....I don't think the Note 5 will be that high though. It doesn't have the added cost of the dual curved screens.

Yeah I'd hope to see it come in at €699/749 for the 32gb Note 5 here ... Assuming of course the rumour of it not coming to Europe is false.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah I'd hope to see it come in at €699/749 for the 32gb Note 5 here ... Assuming of course the rumour of it not coming to Europe is false.
Not releasing in Europe as part of the initial release is a mistake in my book. hope those rumors are false. I think they should make both models available at the same time.

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Price will come down just like all other Samsungs and Androids. Just dont buy on release date. Wait a month or two and get it at 30-50% discount.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.