Galaxy S7 - No Carrier Branding

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by Stacked, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Stacked macrumors regular

Hey everyone! I've never owned anything other than an iPhone so I'm not sure how this works.

If I wanted the S7 minus the carrier branding and bloat ware what would be the best method? I'm not sure how it worked when the S6 just came out since I know you can get that unlocked on Amazon and other retailers now.

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You do it the same way ... buy it unlocked. Samsung's bloatware will still be on there though.

3. Stacked thread starter macrumors regular

Do they offer it unlocked for pre order through samsung's website or through AT&T (my carrier)?

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm not sure about pre-order, but you can definitely buy it directly through Samsung's website. I've never used AT&T so I don't know.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm not sure Samsung sells direct in the US. I looked on their site and found no mention of pricing, just links to carrier websites for purchasing the phone (looking at the S6).

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Yup, Samsung hasn't sold an unlocked, unbranded version of their Galaxy or Note devices directly in the US as long as I can remember--one of the biggest reasons why I've refused to purchase one to this point. I had a Note 2 from AT&T and after that experience, I refuse to buy any phones that's not unlocked/unbranded.

7. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

8. mel823 macrumors 6502

mel823

The T-mobile version is the one that usually doesn't have carrier branding on the phone (when you turn it on, it's there). If you want an unlocked version, you're going to have wait a couple of months for Best Buy to get it. B&H most likely will have the phone unlocked, but I don't know how long it will take for them to get one.

9. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Yeah I thought best buy eventually gets an unlocked version.

10. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

Little to no Samsung bloat on new devices. You'll still have Microsoft suite and carrier bloat but my understanding is you'll have less carrier bloat as well (as much as 5-7 less apps per carrier). You'll also have Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram.

11. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Hopefully just in time for some price breaks. ;)

12. AppleRobert macrumors 603

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

This is correct although it does say T-Mobile on the boot up screen as you have said.

14. Stacked thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Well based on today's reveal for the S7 I'm pretty much set on getting one. Wish I didn't have to wait several months to get it minus the carrier branding.

I'm guessing the T-Mobile logo on boot is embedded in the software? I just want the device as intended from Samsung minus the carrier bloatware.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I think the carrier bloat is about as bad as what Samsung is forcing upon us. Upon turning on my Note 5 for the first time and when it started downloading apps and updates, it started to download ALL of the MS Office apps. I have no use or want for any of those and yet since they are forced on my phone. All I can do is disable them but they are still there.

On T-Mobile, you have the My T-Mobile app and the T-Mobile TV app and a few more apps. None of these can be deleted but they can be disabled but of course, they are still installed. I think Samsung bloatware is much worse then T-Mobiles.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I really love that Apple has the clout to keep bloat ware off the iPhone.

17. pippox0 macrumors newbie

pippox0

18. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

The tmobile model is great aside from them still having their fingers on the update process. Don't think I can buy Samsung until they offer a model in the USA that has absolutely no carrier control
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    Not only bloat ware, but no carrier certification of updates

19. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

My 6s+ doesn't have carrier bloat but it still has some apps I will never use and cannot delete. But no where near what others have.

20. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Many people consider the non-removable apps on the iPhone to be bloatware.

21. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

So does Google, with the Nexus phones. Granted, they are not available through carriers (unless you go to Fi).

22. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Dunno what "unless you go to Fi" is supposed to mean. No, you can't buy them through a carrier, you can only get them through Google (or Amazon or wherever), but they come unlocked ... so they can be used on any carrier. Fi isn't a carrier you buy the phone through, it's just another service you can get through Google. The service itself is disabled by default on the Nexus phones until you insert a Fi SIM card. I'm using Fi right now and I love it.

23. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The problem with the Galaxy line isn't the carrier bloat, it's the built in bloat.

24. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I can live with oem bloat I don't want carriers messing with the updates (and locking the phones down) or carrier bloat. Carriers are dumb pipes don't mess with my phone

25. epicrayban macrumors 603

epicrayban

Will the unlocked versions that eventually make their way to best buy support all of T-Mobile's LTE bands, especially band 12?