Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Thank you. This thread reminded me of why I have an iPhone.

Yeah. Is it the carriers or the oems that are responsible for delays in android updates? Or both? Afaik marshmallow still isn't available on Samsung s6 phones. Or is it just certain carrier versions?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Dunno what "unless you go to Fi" is supposed to mean. No, you can't buy them through a carrier, you can only get them through Google (or Amazon or wherever), but they come unlocked ... so they can be used on any carrier. Fi isn't a carrier you buy the phone through, it's just another service you can get through Google. The service itself is disabled by default on the Nexus phones until you insert a Fi SIM card. I'm using Fi right now and I love it.

When you sign up for Fi you can tell them you don't have a device and you can choose a Nexus device and finance the device through your Fi bill. I just signed up a couple weeks ago, I just didn't have to choose that option since I already had the 6P. See this support article.. https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6181978

It's not really that the service is disabled, it works just like any carrier, your phone connects to whatever service is activated by the SIM that's inserted.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
The Fi "app" is disabled by default ... it's built into Android on your Nexus device ... and the Google Fi service is automatically enabled when you activate your Fi SIM. Fi is just Google ... Fi is not a separate carrier entity in which you can buy phones. You're getting your phone and carrier service through Google. Fi is Google. That was my point ... and through negotiations from Google with other carriers, Fi uses a combination of the T-Mobile and Sprint networks and Wi-Fi.

I already had a 6P as well before I went with Fi.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I understand how Fi works, I'm using it. For the purposes of getting cell service, Fi is a "carrier" as they provide you a SIM card as any other carrier would when you sign up. Yes, I understand the Fi app is/was disabled but unless it's needed for actually activating the service (it might be) there's nothing else in the phone that needs to be "enabled" for the service to work.

Since you can finance a Nexus device in conjunction with service through Fi, it is effectively the same as financing a Galaxy S6 through Verizon as the cost of the phone is rolled into the bill. So, yes, if you want a Nexus device and are willing to use Fi you CAN pay down your phone cost as part of your phone bill just like getting an S6 from Verizon.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Yeah. Is it the carriers or the oems that are responsible for delays in android updates? Or both? Afaik marshmallow still isn't available on Samsung s6 phones. Or is it just certain carrier versions?

It is both. I just want carriers eliminated from the equation. Believe marshmallow is out for the s6 in a couple European countries. Samsung has soo many regional variants then throw carriers into the mix and I just say no thanks :p.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I made the mistake of getting an ATT Note 5 because of wifi calling. But there is no sign of wifi calling being implemented on the Note 5 so it was a dumb decision. With the Note 6 I will most likely grab a Tmobile unlocked version for use on ATT. Although you have to be careful as you still have to deal with Knox. I'm not up to date on the Note 5 Tmobile root scene and I'm not sure there is a root available that does not trip Knox. The same may be an issue on the Note 6, you may have to void your warranty just to root it even if you get an unlocked one.

I wish Google would grow a set of balls and take away updates from oem's/carriers like Apple does.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I made the mistake of getting an ATT Note 5 because of wifi calling. But there is no sign of wifi calling being implemented on the Note 5 so it was a dumb decision. With the Note 6 I will most likely grab a Tmobile unlocked version for use on ATT. Although you have to be careful as you still have to deal with Knox. I'm not up to date on the Note 5 Tmobile root scene and I'm not sure there is a root available that does not trip Knox. The same may be an issue on the Note 6, you may have to void your warranty just to root it even if you get an unlocked one.

I wish Google would grow a set of balls and take away updates from oem's/carriers like Apple does.
I rooted my Note 5 just four days after buying. True there is no way to not trip Knox but for me, being able to block ads in apps is well worth it. That is the only reason I root or jailbreak my devices.

Apparently, Google is using an Apple card and not allowing phones to downgrade. I am finding it impossible to downgrade my Note Edge from 5.1.1 to 4.4.4.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I rooted my Note 5 just four days after buying. True there is no way to not trip Knox but for me, being able to block ads in apps is well worth it. That is the only reason I root or jailbreak my devices.

Apparently, Google is using an Apple card and not allowing phones to downgrade. I am finding it impossible to downgrade my Note Edge from 5.1.1 to 4.4.4.

really? even with your bootloader unlocked? ugh the ability to downgrade was a huge android advantage for me

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
roger that!, was moreso referring to your downgrade comment
Oh. I have only found a few posts where people say they were able to downgrade 5.1.1 but no real proof that people were able to do it. Some were able to go from 5.1.1 to 5.0.1.

I am having a hard time rooting my Note Edge on 5.1.1 so that is why I am trying to go back to KitKat.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I suspected as much. I agree though it's well worth it to trip Knox. Personally I just get a squaretrade warranty and let them handle it if Samsung kicks it back.

BTW you can block ads with Adguard, it blocks them systemwide including app. No root required. It's not free though, and has an annoying taskbar icon and notification pane.

Edit: Also forgot the carrier themselves for warranty. I had many issues with the Note 4 series and exchanged probably 7 or 8 of them with ATT and not a single time did they look at Knox or even hint that would be an issue, and yes my Knox was tripped on a couple of those. Heck they were even willing to swap out my Tmobile versions since they were on the account, although they would have to replace them with ATT versions.

Last edited:

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I suspected as much. I agree though it's well worth it to trip Knox. Personally I just get a squaretrade warranty and let them handle it if Samsung kicks it back.

BTW you can block ads with Adguard, it blocks them systemwide including app. No root required. It's not free though, and has an annoying taskbar icon and notification pane.

I think I just successfully rooted my Note 4. I installed a ROM that is already rooted but other than that, it is a stock firmware. It booted up and is actually optimizing apps now. I was having trouble booting up the phone after installing the custom kernal. The phone would just not get past the T-Mobile logo.

It's done optimizing and looks like my Note Edge is rooted!

Reactions: spinedoc77

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I just tried Adguard on one of my phones and it actually seems to be working better than Adaway. I have one app that loads "sponsored content" and Adguard blocks it while Adaway lets it through.

Adguard is $30 for three phones per year. I can afford that.

Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I just tried Adguard on one of my phones and it actually seems to be working better than Adaway. I have one app that loads "sponsored content" and Adguard blocks it while Adaway lets it through.

Adguard is $30 for three phones per year. I can afford that.

The annoying thing about adguard is that icon in the notification drawer and on the lock screen. Can't believe it can't be turned off. I ultimately uninstalled it.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The annoying thing about adguard is that icon in the notification drawer and on the lock screen. Can't believe it can't be turned off. I ultimately uninstalled it.
I just did that myself. Luckily, I just paid the $9.99 for one year for one device. I went back to using Adaway.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Yeah I heartily complained to them about it and ended up not using adguard. Other apps that are required to have the taskbar icon have options to make it invisible/transparent, and I pointed this out to them. Please complain to them as they won't change it unless enough people complain.

Reactions: epicrayban

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm using a custom ROM on my Note Edge right now that has NO bloatware and NO carrier branding on the boot up screen. I've only had a few hours to mess with the phone running this ROM so far and it seems pretty nice. I have a theme on it to where the app icons are rounded like on my Note 5. All the other Touch Wiz functions work including all the S Pen functions.

I actually had to install FaceBook because it's been removed unlike what the stock firmware comes with.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I see that Best Buy now how unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edges ... are these international versions with no Samsung Pay, etc, in the states?

From what I understand, yes. I'm not 100% certain though, but I don't think Samsung pay works, or any carrier specific features such as wifi calling. They may be missing LTE band(s) as well. I think it's a great effort by BB and applaud their attention to the market, if BB is doing this then they must be getting a lot of requests for unlocked phones. Samsung should take heed and just release an unlocked version with no compromises, but Samsung doesn't listen to anyone until they lose a ton of money.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
I see that Best Buy now how unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edges ... are these international versions with no Samsung Pay, etc, in the states?

Yes, Samsung Pay will not be available until it launches in other international markets like the UK. You'll have to use Android Pay in the interim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.