Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
How come my fingerprint Reader on my s8 Plus works flawlessly...glad I don't have an issue.
It's really fast ...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'll just leave this here for anyone looking for a real world performance review...

This is just un-real app launching time only not performance. Who in the right mind open and close app one by open in real world? :p

And rigged with the 4k video conversion (plus over use of games) to over exaggerate iphone lead.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I'll just leave this here for anyone looking for a real world performance review...

Lol the review name is everything apple pro! I don't trust that at all.im coming from an iPhone 7 plus and using the gs8 all day yesterday not once did I feel the phone was slow or lagging.

The only thing I hate about it is the fingerprint scanner on the back.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014

Those tests are stupid because iPhones don't foreground nor background multitask. At best some iOS apps fake it by suspending state to and restoring state from storage otherwise background apps get suspended then killed after 3 minutes. On the Galaxy S8 it can have like four foreground apps actively running plus background apps like on a PC. Multitasking is better than the hassle of switching back and forth. For example, having both navigation and messenger apps active via split screen is better than constantly switching back and forth between one or the other when receiving messenger directions while navigating.

Last edited:

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
And on the gs8 u can start encoding app them minimize it and use your phone like normal. It will encode in the background

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just read the Mossberg review. He tends to tell both sides of the story which I like. He said that all 3 biometric options on the phone (fingerprint, face, iris) were all horrible and none worked for him. I don't know how fans can be so high on a phone where these things just don't work. He also mentioned bad software and bloatware on the phone, one of the main reasons I won't go Android. Samsung fans are so blinded by a big bright screen that they just ignore the other issues.

My disclaimer is I have zero experience with the iris scanning on the Galaxy S8. But from the initial reviews,/forums and user feedback, it's all been very good on how it's been performing. I read that it's been relatively fast and works proficiently almost 100% every time. I still think it's fair that this is new technology that's evolving and will continue to get Better. I also think it's important to remember Mossberg is one individual among the hundreds of thousands thatwill be purchasing this phone that will ultimately be the decider's of how this technology is currently standing.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Those tests are stupid because iPhones don't foreground nor background multitask. At best some iOS apps fake it by suspending state to and restoring state from storage otherwise background apps get suspended then killed after 3 minutes. On the Galaxy S8 it can have like four foreground apps actively running plus background apps like on a PC. Multitasking is better than the hassle of switching back and forth. For example, having both navigation and messenger apps active via split screen is better than constantly switching back and forth between one or the other when receiving messenger directions while navigating.

Everything you mentioned was proven here to be more efficient on an older iPhone and iOS. I believe the word you are looking for is optimization.
[doublepost=1492898145][/doublepost]
My disclaimer is I have zero experience with the iris scanning on the Galaxy S8. But from the initial reviews,/forums and user feedback, it's all been very good on how it's been performing. I read that it's been relatively fast and works proficiently almost 100% every time. I still think it's fair that this is new technology that's evolving and will continue to get Better. I also think it's important to remember Mossberg is one individual among the hundreds of thousands thatwill be purchasing this phone that will ultimately be the decider's of how this technology is currently standing.

You're not wrong. I am sure for some us works well. Just a little damning that people are having issues. And not just one. Many people in forums are saying the same thing.

Reactions: I7guy

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
This is a much much better speed test. More systematic and much much more comparable than the ridiculously rigged speed test.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
"But Rear Fingerprint Scanner is Awkwardly Positioned"

Translation: "... is a STUPID design"

let's not beat about the bush, eh?

[doublepost=1492905484][/doublepost]
Tried s8 plus at bestbuy recently....my gosh...the os is butter smooth, camera is insane....and water proof ip 68

Ah, but is it:

~ Cow slurry-proof
~ Melted butter-proof
~ Textile dye-proof

?

Water ain't the only liquid we come into contact with.
[doublepost=1492905638][/doublepost]
This is just un-real app launching time only not performance. Who in the right mind open and close app one by open in real world? :p

And rigged with the 4k video conversion (plus over use of games) to over exaggerate iphone lead.

Until you've met the entire population of planet earth and analysed their smartphone usage habits, you'll never know. If there's one thing I learnt many years ago, it's this - assuming everyone uses something the way I do, is a huge oversight on my part.

One could ask you, "who in their right mind makes such generalisations about a planet with a population of ~7bn people?"

Last edited:

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Until you've met the entire population of planet earth and analysed their smartphone usage habits, you'll never know. If there's one thing I learnt many years ago, it's this - assuming everyone uses something the way I do, is a huge oversight on my part.

One could ask you, "who in their right mind makes such generalisations about a planet with a population of ~7bn people?"

If you have a rational mind then 99.9999999999999% of the world population would not TYPICALLY use the phone by opening and closing apps one by one like in that rigged speed test (of course being the exceptions are apple fanboys trying to find some plus points over the s8)

The speed test I posted is what I called a fair speed test. No rigging by converting a 4K. Unlike the apple fans defending that rigged speed test, here we can clearly see i7+ and s8+ are neck-to-neck in apps but s8+ is not so good in loading up games (but in gameplay seems to have no issues running those games). Conclusion is both i7+ and s8+ are very fast phones. Even the phone coming in 2nd in some portion of the tests, it is still a win in a sense for daily use, it is still one of the fastest phone you can buy on the planet.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
If you have a rational mind then 99.9999999999999% of the world population would not TYPICALLY use the phone by opening and closing apps one by one like in that rigged speed test (of course being the exceptions are apple fanboys trying to find some plus points over the s8)

The speed test I posted is what I called a fair speed test. No rigging by converting a 4K. Unlike the apple fans defending that rigged speed test, here we can clearly see i7+ and s8+ are neck-to-neck in apps but s8+ is not so good in loading up games (but in gameplay seems to have no issues running those games). Conclusion is both i7+ and s8+ are very fast phones. Even the phone coming in 2nd in some portion of the tests, it is still a win in a sense for daily use, it is still one of the fastest phone you can buy on the planet.

That's nice, dear. 87.6573% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I mentioned it yesterday. Apparently everyone just thinks hes lying or too old? I don't know why he would do that, but I saw it is as a big red flag also. Crazy how it can be overlooked.

Double standards, I guess.

Apple removes the headphone jack, the internet loses its collective crap.

Samsung ships their latest smartphone with pretty much all their signature features disabled or poorly implemented, *crickets*.

If you want the S8 to be held to the same standards as the iPhone, then accord it equal criticism. This just goes to show how much midnshare the iPhone has and how hard it will be to displace the iPhone in people's minds.

Reactions: RodoBobJon

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017
Double standards, I guess.

Apple removes the headphone jack, the internet loses its collective crap.

Samsung ships their latest smartphone with pretty much all their signature features disabled or poorly implemented, *crickets*.

If you want the S8 to be held to the same standards as the iPhone, then accord it equal criticism. This just goes to show how much midnshare the iPhone has and how hard it will be to displace the iPhone in people's minds.

Samsung's only "signature feature" this model, will be the guarantee that they've learned their lessons, and that the S8* won't bring down airliners or set fire to people... that's probably their coolest "feature" to date, and hopefully not their hottest...

As regards for "Bixby" (CRINGE...) - what's THAT about - releasing a poor "feature" that no one needs, and not having it even work? Wow, the level of retardation just stepped up a few light years. Talk about hubris, thinking this (non) "feature" needs its OWN BUTTON! :rolleyes::D

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

Pretty much every other smartphone user out there?

Unlock phone, open messaging app. Close app, open mail app. Close, open Facebook. Lock phone. Proceed to unlock phone 5 seconds later because your friend just messaged you back.

The average user will be unlocking his phone and launching / switching between apps numerous times a day, so anything which makes these processes that much faster, smoother and more seamless will have a very pronounced benefit in the user experience overall.

Likewise, anything which makes these processes even slower and less pleasant to use will have a cumulative, deleterious impact on the overall user experience.

Let's not sugar coat things. Samsung knew they needed to make a statement with the new S8. Their decision was to radically revamp the form factor of their smartphone to get people talking, even though it meant sacrificing the user experience in pretty much every other aspect of the phone.

This is the company people are betting on to displace Apple? I should feel so insulted.

6foot5foot

Suspended
Mar 9, 2017

Unlock phone, open messaging app. Close app, open mail app. Close, open Facebook. Lock phone. Proceed to unlock phone 5 seconds later because your friend just messaged you back.

The average user will be unlocking his phone and launching / switching between apps numerous times a day, so anything which makes these processes that much faster, smoother and more seamless will have a very pronounced benefit in the user experience overall.

Likewise, anything which makes these processes even slower and less pleasant to use will have a cumulative, deleterious impact on the overall user experience.

Let's not sugar coat things. Samsung knew they needed to make a statement with the new S8. Their decision was to radically revamp the form factor of their smartphone to get people talking, even though it meant sacrificing the user experience in pretty much every other aspect of the phone.

This is the company people are betting on to displace Apple? I should feel so insulted.

"The Galaxy S8: the tall phone that falls short"

Displace Apple? I like someone with a good sense of humour my friend. So, they're gonna "displace" Apple by serving Apple back a mangled version of what Apple baked, half-baked and with less sauce? "Let's copy everything Apple released before we did, then attempt to topple Apple's top spot with it" - that's like going to a restaurant, eating an expensive meal, then vomiting it back onto a plate, and handing it to the chef, saying "Look, I did better".

I'm with you, in case of textual ambiguity, btw. :)

LOL :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Abazigal

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
"The Galaxy S8: the tall phone that falls short"

Displace Apple? I like someone with a good sense of humour my friend. So, they're gonna "displace" Apple by serving Apple back a mangled version of what Apple baked, half-baked and with less sauce? "Let's copy everything Apple released before we did, then attempt to topple Apple's top spot with it" - that's like going to a restaurant, eating an expensive meal, then vomiting it back onto a plate, and handing it to the chef, saying "Look, I did better".

I'm with you, in case of textual ambiguity, btw. :)

LOL :D

Or rather, Samsung is that kid in class who always rushes to raise his hand so he can be the first to answer any question posed, even though he doesn't have the answers.

Reactions: 6foot5foot

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

That is why you have to do it systematically like in the video I posted. Then you can clearly which areas each phone is good at. Then let the users decide. I rarely play games (or convert a 4K video in the phone :p) so using apps/browsers/video is more important for me and in this aspect I can see the s8+ is as good or better. But for someone who spends whole day cycling through and playing every game in his phone then 7+ is better.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...rdly-positioned.2042261/page-13#post-24519703

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
But for someone who spends whole day cycling through and playing every game in his phone then 7+ is better.

You do not need to do this to even notice the speed difference (just one large game will do). There are many use cases when the speed difference is very noticeable.

My friend and I play NFS No limits and did a comparison with his s7E about 2 months ago. My iphone 7+ about 50% faster in loading the game from cold and also much faster in game loading.

But the big difference is that we went out of the game, did some browsing and loaded about 3-4 popular apps. The s7e had to reload the game (30sec+) while my iPhone just went back to exactly where it left off.

Last edited:
Reactions: ErikGrim

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
How is it rigging it? It's a speed test to see how they compare in terms of raw speed. Encoding video is a very intensive task so to compare speeds with it seems to be a fine method to me.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Went to see the phone in person today. Very good looking phone, felt nice in the hand, and shrinking the bezel definitely works well. Solid hardware, but I just couldn't do the software. I expected something different as I haven't played with an Android phone in a while. Everything is quick, yes, but there are these weird quirks and slow movements. I don't know what it is. Maybe the animations? It just doesn't feel completely fluid. And it just seemed very unorganized and thrown together. I tried to do the demos but they didn't work. I am looking forward to Apple doing their own version of a bezel-less phone. With iOS and Apple's polish, it'll be close to perfect.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You do not need to do this to even notice the speed difference (just one large game will do). There are many use cases when the speed difference is very noticeable.

My friend and I play NFS No limits and did a comparison with his s7E about 2 months ago. My iphone 7+ about 50% faster in loading the game from cold and also much faster in game loading.

But the big difference is that we went out of the game, did some browsing and loaded about 3-4 popular apps. The s7e had to reload the game (30sec+) while my iPhone just went back to exactly where it left off.

If you going to play for 30 min a few seconds more loading time would not make such a huge impact. Unless it is like the idiotic speed test where you open and close them immediately for the heck of it.

For those apps which open many times a day (e.g im, fb, mail etc) maybe the short time difference can add up to a lot.

Anyway all newer generation phones are fast enough (even though they are not at the top of results ) making this debate moot.
[doublepost=1493014707][/doublepost]
How is it rigging it? It's a speed test to see how they compare in terms of raw speed. Encoding video is a very intensive task so to compare speeds with it seems to be a fine method to me.

The huge difference in time is just attributed to the conversion test. If you never ever need to do the conversion in the phone, then the results is skewed towards something unimportant.

Or maybe the android version is not optimized like iOS. Maybe you can find another app that does it much better. This one anomaly just invalidated the whole results making it not fair or representative.

Last edited:

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
If you going to play for 30 min a few seconds more loading time would not make such a huge impact.

It's about 10 sec on initial load and approx 5sec more load for each race. It all adds up and is noticeable especially as each race lasts only 30-45 sec.

Can't play for 30 min unfortunately with fuel timers etc.. so you are opening and closing the game many times a day.
[doublepost=1493042465][/doublepost]
Or maybe the android version is not optimized like iOS. Maybe you can find another app that does it much better. This one anomaly just invalidated the whole results making it not fair or representative.

There have been other examples of encoding that shows similar results. Adobe premiere clip was tested when the 7 plus was first released against the s7e. I'll try to track down the link but I recall that the 7 plus was approx. 3x faster on that test as well

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
It's about 10 sec on initial load and approx 5sec more load for each race. It all adds up and is noticeable especially as each race lasts only 30-45 sec.

Can't play for 30 min unfortunately with fuel timers etc.. so you are opening and closing the game many times a day.
[doublepost=1493042465][/doublepost]

There have been other examples of encoding that shows similar results. Adobe premiere clip was tested when the 7 plus was first released against the s7e. I'll try to track down the link but I recall that the 7 plus was approx. 3x faster on that test as well

If you are into games, iPhone will better period. I play games only occasionally and when I do play it is just to pass time when I have nothing to do. So a few seconds more here and there doesn't really matter.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I rather be able to do more with my phone than just have a faster processor and less functions. That's coming from someone who uses iOS and Android.

Reactions: PrincePoppycock
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.