Galaxy S8 Reviews: Full-Front Display Scores Top Marks, But Rear Fingerprint Scanner is Awkwardly Positioned

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 18, 2017 at 9:17 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Reviews of Samsung's new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ hit the web today, and given each smartphone's potential similarities to Apple's rumored iPhone with an OLED display, we have rounded up some of the impressions below.

[​IMG]
    Galaxy S8's Infinity Display (Image: The Verge)

The vast majority of reviews praised Samsung's so-called Infinity Display, which takes up over 80 percent of the front of the smartphones. The design results in smartphones with large 5.8-inch or 6.2-inch screens that are still easy to hold in one hand or put in your pocket, according to reviews.

Dan Seifert, reporting for The Verge:
    Brian Heater, reporting for TechCrunch:
    Steve Kovach, reporting for Business Insider:
    Lance Ulanoff, reporting for Mashable:
    Walt Mossberg, reporting for Recode:
    In order to achieve the larger display without significantly increasing the physical size of the smartphone, Samsung removed the home button from the front of the Galaxy S8. Samsung then relocated the fingerprint scanner to the back of the phone, positioning it next to the camera.

[​IMG]
    Galaxy S8's rear fingerprint sensor (Image: The Verge)

Unfortunately, many reviews found the fingerprint scanner to be hard to reach and awkwardly positioned next to the camera.

Nicole Nguyen, reporting for BuzzFeed News:
    Dan Seifert, reporting for The Verge:
    Apple is rumored to be working on a completely overhauled iPhone, and a display taking up nearly the entire front of the smartphone is a widely expected feature. Apple is also expected to remove the Home button, so it may too relocate Touch ID to the rear if it can't integrate it under the display.

Article Link: Galaxy S8 Reviews: Full-Front Display Scores Top Marks, But Rear Fingerprint Scanner is Awkwardly Positioned

2. terrywfoster macrumors regular

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Hopefully Apple can get it under the screen. Rear fingerprint scanner would definitely be awkward.

4. guzhogi macrumors 68020

guzhogi

AppleInsider is reporting that the S8+'s battery is very similar to the Note 7's. Beware!

5. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

The 8+ is exactly why Apple's iCloud ecosystem is so important for lock in. I had the "misfortune" to see and hold one of these things and it makes my 7+ feel like an antique, not dissimilar from the way my first iPhone made my old Blackberry feel.

I know you can port everything over, and operate within an iOS environment (my family all have iPhones, we share calendars, iTunes sharing/accounts, etc.) but doing so is a PITA despite what many of the "easy" switching guides indicate.

Said another way - if I could use iCloud on this I'd buy an 8+ so fast it'd make your head spin.

Apple better deliver with the iPhone X or whatever it'll be called. They have real competition on the hardware side now.

6. DNichter macrumors 6502a

DNichter

If Apple is able to pull off Touch ID under the screen, I'll be very impressed. Looking forward to the improved and better looking Apple version of this phone.

7. imicca macrumors member

imicca

Samsung went too far with the size of the phone.
    I have been using it for more than a day now (I am not even a press guy) and it is very awkward to use especially one-handedly. S8+ is just pure insanity. No phone needs to be that large, it is taller than Note 7 and other phablets and is very easy to drop.
    And the glare and blur on edges is not good at all. YES, display is amazing, great detail, contrast, but I don't want edge display! I want flat....and they done goofed here.
    Not everyone wants curved phones, Samsung.

8. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

Apple will eat Samsung's lunch if they can get a huge display on the front with Touch ID integrated into the display. If they put the button on the back, then they're no better than Samsung. Why bother? It goes against every design principle Apple has ever had about the iPhone to put the button on the back. I don't think it will happen. Either we'll get a redesigned iPhone this year or we won't, but it won't have that stupid button on the back.

9. igneousc macrumors regular

I'm a giant skeptic on the battery life. Especailly two months from now when its 6+ hours less than all the reviews are saying

10. Tycho24 Suspended

Tycho24

You're dating the wrong people! =P

11. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

I'm also interested to see whether or not the S8 has beaten the iPhone 7 specs yet. Weren't they still having trouble beating the 6s in most benchmarks? It will be really interesting to see what Apple's custom GPU can do.

12. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

o_O
    :rolleyes:
    :p

I briefly used an LG G4 with the button on the back and I hated it. No buttons or touch ID on the back. Hope Apple can "innovate my ass" here.

13. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

With their 8-point test for the battery, I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to Samsung.

14. Appurushido macrumors member

Apple has big shoes to fill this fall. If there is no design change, Apple will lose major ground to Samsung by more than half of the market share.

15. pradeepbabloo macrumors newbie

pradeepbabloo

Full Front Display - Yes
    OLED - Yes, Yes!
    Curved Screen - Yes, I guess
    Android - May be
    Rear Finger Print scanner - Meh
    Samsung - A big NO

Waiting for Apple to up the ante! (Hopefully my wait wont be that long)

16. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Speak for yourself.

17. imola.zhp macrumors 6502

imola.zhp

I don't want a bigger phone, my 7+ is large enough. I am actually hoping the iPhone shrinks with the removal of the top and bottom bars. I might go back to the non-plus if they actually stay the same size. A non-plus would have about the same screen size as a plus with the bars removed. Had to have the plus for portrait mode which I think I have used a total of 4 times, lmfao.

18. Zaft macrumors 68020

I played around with both the 8 and 8+ and came away not overly impressed.
    The 8's screen is too narrow, while the 8+ is even taller then my 7 Plus.

And it comes with samsungs android skin UI which still imo sucks.

19. DNichter macrumors 6502a

DNichter

They'll be fine, the 7 will have no problem outselling the S8 in 2017.

20. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Locating the Touch Id near the bottom of the device would avoid layout confusion with the camera lens. That seems an obvious shortcoming for the Samsung product.

One problem: I don't see how Apple could give case manufacturers advance notice of the location of a rear Touch Id without alerting MR and the other rumor sites...

21. RamGuy macrumors 6502

RamGuy

I'm surprised why no one is talking about Instagram and Snapchat when they talk about the camera. I'm currently using a Galaxy S7 Edge while my iPhone 7 Plus is in for service. And there is no doubt the camera is great when using the stock camera-app. But the quality goes down the toilet when using Snapchat. It's not even close to matching my iPhone 7 Plus. As Snapchat is among the top five most used apps in the world, and studies show that people tend to use Snapchat for photos more often compared to the stock camera-app why doesn't reviews test the cameras using the apps most people tend to use when taking photos?

22. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Silly aspect ratio, just to be able to claim a larger screen size.

23. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

Tried s8 plus at bestbuy recently....my gosh...the os is butter smooth, camera is insane....and water proof ip 68

24. Zaft macrumors 68020

Why is there a difference?

25. I7guy macrumors G4

Did you dunk it :) to see if it really was?