Game of the Year

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

To not clutter up the Mario Galaxy thread, what do you folk think the GOTY will be? Or what the shortlist would be? I'd put my money on-

Orange Box, though I'm not sure where GOTY stands for compilations.
    Mario Galaxy, the highest rated game this gen.
    Bioshock, a massive hit with players. Metacritic shows it's currently 2nd of next gen games.
    Halo 3, the press seems to love it. And they govern all.

2. Kwub macrumors newbie

It's been a ridiculously good gaming year overall, perhaps the best since 1998. My person favorites:
    Halo 3
    Call of Duty 4
    Assassin's Creed
    Crysis
    Bioshock
    Gears of War
    (technically a candidate again with its re-release on PC)
    Oblivion: Shivering Isles
    Orange Box
    (although I'm not sure if this qualifies, due to it being nothing more than a collection of already-released games, plus Portal)

And, of course, I haven't gotten my hands on Mass Effect yet. I have nothing but the highest of expectations for Bioware's new guaranteed masterpiece.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Just for Jimmi, Zelda Phantom Hourglass. :p

But for rambling purposes, I would choose Super Mario Galaxy over anything else mentioned here, since it's more accessible by a much larger group of peeps.

And that comment since 1998. HELL NO!!! :)

<]=)

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

While I love Halo I don't really think it is GOTY material.

I have to say that Mario Galaxy is very good and I hope Mass Effect is as well.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

There's too many games coming out soon, so I'll reserve judgment for my own personal choices.

As for press decision, well that's about as much BS as you can get. It boils down to who has sucked up to the media & lined there pockets the most this year.

I don't need some 'suits' to tell me what the best game of this year was, as at the end of the day it is personal preference and totally irrelevant and has little 'meaning'

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yea, I'd probably add Phantom Hourglass to my list too. That game seems to be doing extremely well! *just wish I could get into it :eek:*

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Just DRINK quite HEAVILY before playing it! :p Or go on a long road trip and bring no other games, than maybe you'll get into it. :)

Anyway, I love it and will buy more Zeldas of its nature, but it really had me longing for another Wind Waker. The environments were only there in a visual sense, but beyond that they were rather static compared to what WW had managed to accomplish so well for me. Contrary to others, I really enjoyed the sailing simulator aspect. :eek:

My friend started playing it about he same time as me, but didn't finish it that I know of. His complaint was that it's Zelda, but it wasn't, which I have to agree with on some levels.

<]=)

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

My only complaint about Phantom Hourglass is that annoying temple with the clock that you have to keep going back to. Making you do the same puzzle over and over against a timer is somewhat aggravating.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's just bad design.

I would kill for a wind waker sequel to though. It was my favorite Zelda game.

10. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I actually liked sailing the ship, I don't know why they had to dumb it down to the steamboat thing in Phantom Hourglass.

I seriously hope they bring back music as a feature. I was sad that Twilight Princess only had a few wolf songs and Phantom Hourglass only had the yell at your NDS feature. (I'm annoyed at the lack of Zora as well.)

I'll stop now, this is about GOTY, not Zelda. :D

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OK so after long deliberation.

I'm going for More Brain Age as my GOTY!

The one game that everyone who sees me playing it, asks what's that ? and then want's a go.

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Orange Box, because Portal and Ep2 are awesome, HL2 is one of the best games ever made, TF2 is fun as hell and oh yeah... its only $40-60

CoD4, because the graphics are insane, the action is insane and it's multiplayer is outstanding. Production value through the roof.

But I think Bioshock or Mario will win overall since the press has a hardon for Bioshock and Mario....well it's Mario.

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, I'll drink to that....but to fancy the thread I see Mass Effect or COD4 taking it home but if its all about the media then its Halo3:mad:

Bless

14. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Not necessarily as far as IGN goes I'm almost willing to bet.

15. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, IGN seems to seriously like Mass Effect (and Zack and Wiki).

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I obviously haven't played Mass Effect yet, and I also haven't played Mario Galaxy yet, but right now my vote is for Call of Duty 4. For my money, It's hands down the best first person shooter I've ever played.

17. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Call of Duty 4 is the game of the year in my books.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Currently COD4....but "possible ones" I've only played that MP3 and Halo 3(which I know will be up there, but should NOT get it...its fun, no doubt, but not that good or new)

I've got big money on SMG and Mass Effect

19. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

20. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I think Crysis wins the prize. It's not only a terrific game, but it also sets new standards to 3D graphics and physics engine development.

21. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

That was my thought.

Arguably Crysis is the most hyped game in the history of games ever and despite the fact that the game runs like trash on 90% of PCs out there (and doesn't even really run at 60fps 4xAA+FSAA on quads and SLi 8800 systems at high res), I would not be surprised to see Crysis get voted as GOTY even though it is "a PC game".

I still don't see what the fuss about it is about, truthfully, but I'm sure 'teh grafix wh0re' reviewers and press/media have already drooled and crapped/changed enough pairs of underwear over Crysis that it will win.

22. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Crysis most hyped game ever? I think Halo 3 is leaps and bounds above that. They even got advertised on food and drink. Crysis seems quieter. It was touted as a realistic looking game but then it transformed into Microsoft's much needed showcase for DirectX 10. For the past 6 months I haven't been able to shake the fact this game is just a catalyst for Vista.

But I think it's a good candidate still. I'd put it on my candidate list.

23. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I thought Crysis had horrible AI, resulting in baddies that just stare at you because you're behind a log or something weird.

24. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i haven't played much games from this year, but how about we have a macrumors game of the year award, voted by the users. that should be fun.