Game of Thrones Star Jason Momoa Scores Lead Role in Apple's 'See' Futuristic Drama Series

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 10, 2018.

1. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Two seasons is a long life-span in Game of Thrones

He's Ronan Dex to me whenever I see him.

I'm sure whenever he is feeling down about it, he justs swims around in his money pit like Scrooge McDuck and comes out all warm an fuzzy about it :)

2. Agneev, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018

Agneev macrumors member

Yeah, he ****ed Emilia Clarke's brains out

3. toph2toast macrumors 6502a

That sums up about every character on Game of Thrones pretty well...

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

if it pays why not

5. wigby macrumors 65816

You're right. It is unrealistic. Only realistic people sign up for a few services instead of all services.

6. bobenhaus macrumors 6502a

What happened to the traditional company that just focuses on their core products and let other focus on their products like Movies and TV shows etc..?

7. truthertech macrumors 65816

So, the government will have to take control of video distribution and ban exclusive content. Which, of course means that no one will produce it since you are going to mandate that the whoever produces the content must give it to their competitors, then the ability to recover costs and, most importantly, make a profit, will be destroyed.

The reason there is such a vast array of content to choose from is because there is a free and capitalist market where companies are incentivized to produce the content. All those different services that you lament having to sign up with are also what keeps prices down. Apple's entry into the original content streaming market will provide yet another counterpoint to Netflix, et al raising their prices too much.

8. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

A yes, back when he had a “natural” body.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 11, 2018 ---
    So you think Apple should allow other phone makers to license iOS? It’s basically the same thing you’re suggesting. Why should I have to buy an Apple device to get Apple services?

And it’s not like it’s anything new. When I was a kid, we didn’t get CBS very well over our antenna, so we didn’t watch much on CBS. Why should we be forced to buy a new antenna to get another channel, when CBS could have just aired their programming on the NBC channel we got quite clearly?

With cable, HBO is an added channel we have to pay for. So is Showtime. So is Starz. Why can’t they just give us all those channels for free with the basic service? How dare they require me to subscribe to multiple channels to get exclusive content to each? The Disney channel is usually an extra subscription as well. As are many sports packages. Is it unrealistic to expect people to subscribe to each one of them? I’d say the practical use evidence suggests not.

9. ryanasimov macrumors regular

I've seen many, many stories about Apple ordering TV shows; have any of these actually been produced?

10. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Ronan! Apple should just buy the Stargate franchise and bring back Stargate Atlantis.

11. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

It takes many, many months before a scripted show or movie that’s been ordered is ready to air. The rumor so far is that Apple will launch its streaming video service sometime in the spring/summer of 2019.

12. theluggage macrumors 68040

Will it have a male human military officer hero type character in conflict with a feisty strong-willed female character (or some permutation of those characteristics and genders) to accompany the warrior who is struggling to reconcile his honour-obsessed cultural background with the middle-class American morality of his new companions?

Can't we have something original, like an anthology of dystopian sci-fi stories featuring ironic twists*, instead? They could call it "External Boundaries" or "The Sunset Region" or maybe Surprising Tales... Oh, wait! :)

(* except Black Mirror is brilliant, of course...)
    Nah. Atlantis got a pretty good run and came to a conclusion - better to bring back Battlestargate Gala... sorry, Stargate Universe which got cut off in its prime.

The Expanse
    also needs rescuing (hopefully Netflix or Amazon will pick that up).

13. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

Yeah, I mentioned Atlantis because of Jason Momoa. I did end decently although there were supposed to be follow up movies/mini series. Yes, SGU was screwed. I thought I saw amazon did pick up The Expanse.

14. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

15. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

Good news - The Expanse has been rescued: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

My current fav SciFi show has got to be Killjoys - slow first season but just got better and better from there

16. Rafterman macrumors 68020

Khal, Baba, Aquaman? Jason Mamoa, still in search of a role with a character with a normal name.

17. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

This happens a lot. Mark Hamil playing in Wing Commander was amazing. Then there are those guys with cop-looking faces. That’s all they play. Or the Secret Service.

I’d probably play the weak-jawed slacker.

18. erinsarah macrumors regular

Some day, someone will come up with some sort of way to package multiple channels together...perhaps a "COMbination broadCAST" of sorts. :p

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

20. dilbert99 macrumors 65816

Is that a careful what you wish for thing ;-)
    Not the same thing. Apple is one provider of an OS, content is produced by multiple sources.
    That is clearly dumb, you don't buy additional antennae to get additional channels unless you are meaning free to air aerial vs sat dish which is not the same.
    Who said anything about free, such a strawman argument.
    I am not talking about subscribing to different packages, you are conflating things.
    Netflix is not a package. Apple TV service is not a package. They could licence their content but knowing Apple there is Buckley's chance of that.
    Ever heard of licencing deals?
    Very true.

Eventually either all providers will be making their own content, or producers will force a licencing model where everyone can buy the program.
    Time will show that producers will not agree to this long term

21. pika2000 macrumors 68040

It's just occured to me. Did sea dragon come into existence because of Aquaman doing the dragon lady?

Anyway, the content madness will start turning off some people imo (and push some back into piracy). I mean the idea of cutting the cord was to reduce cost. But when each services doing their own exclusives, you can end up spending more money if you are subscribing to multiple services, and defeats the original point. I forego Netflix for Hulu in the past to focus on TV shows and just rent my movies as needed, but then Netflix are doing their own TV shows. Add on Amazon and then Apple?

22. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

This is great news! Jason Momoa is a good actor and a compelling screen presence. Can’t wait to check this one out.

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

if you peek his instagram he's too busy with his family doing outdoors stuff to have time to feel down about it. but yeah I doubt he's really upset about his type casting. in fact I think, given the stuff he posts, that he probably loves that he gets rolls where he can rock climb, and parkour and surf and all the stuff that he seems to genuinely love doing anyway.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 17, 2018 ---
    He's had roles with normal names. his character on Red Road was like Philip or Frank or something.