Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
Thought they did not approve something like that earlier in the year?
Not sure what situation you're referring to. There have a been a lot of brouhahas regarding the App Store recently, so I may have forgotten it, but I don't remember one like this.

To be clear, this is not emulation, this is multiple individual apps for which a single subscription unlocks additional features (i.e. the rest of each game and no ads). And the only way to get a subscription is paying through the App Store, so Apple's getting their cut.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
At least they could've offered some console ports, like the GTA series.

What?! There’s literally a port of an entire console, with a whole bunch of it’s games: Vetrex. ?

Now, it may not be the port you want, but it is quite literally a console port!

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Are these games that have been abandoned by the original developers that have been updated by this service to work on recent iOS versions?

This is a great service. I had a lot of the older iOS games in my backlog, which I never got to and then were not updated. It would be good to play them. The early iOS games were really, really solid and fun.

Reactions: MisterSavage

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I want to like this service, I was a big fan of Eli's work with TouchArcade (and even that site seems to be in pretty bad shape since the old app had to go away), but I can't imagine this effort succeeding from a business standpoint. You can't go up against Apple with a similar product with old relic games. A lot of those games were REALLY FUN back in the day, but I think the people who would want to play them have played them already. I wish them luck though, I hope for their sake that I'm wrong!!!!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
are gaming subscriptions going to be the next streaming service thing? death by a thousand cuts?

Subscriptions in general have been the thing for a few years now. Pretty much everything under the sun offers a subscription if you look hard enough. I would love to see the figures behind the average household subscription services cost (streaming services, gaming, clothes, toothbrushes, ties, etc, etc, etc).

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Not sure what situation you're referring to. There have a been a lot of brouhahas regarding the App Store recently, so I may have forgotten it, but I don't remember one like this.

To be clear, this is not emulation, this is multiple individual apps for which a single subscription unlocks additional features (i.e. the rest of each game and no ads). And the only way to get a subscription is paying through the App Store, so Apple's getting their cut.
Really do not remember exactly where did I see on this site, could have swear it was within calendar year 2019 with regards to a subscription game service before Apple launch its own.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
Then why is it that we can't have a game emulation app for iOS and iPadOS?

We do/did have a few legal ones. There is currently Vectrex Regeneration and the Sega Genesis collection. In the past there were emulators for Infocom games, Capcom Collection, Namco Collection, Neo-Geo, Atari 2600 & Activision, ZX Spectrum, Midway Arcade, DOS, Intellivision, TurboGrafx-16. It would be nice to see better support and more titles ported over to some of these existing apps.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
This was already deep in development at that point. They've been doing Test Flight betas for it since before Arcade was even announced.

Based on what? Apple approved all not only the Game Club app itself, which is mostly just a catalog of the games available in the service and lets you buy the subscription itself, but they approved all of the updates to the individual games that are available through the service now. If they were going to "shut it down" they wouldn't have approved in excess of 50 updates all having to do with this.

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous comment I've ever read given the context. What precisely about a $5/month subscription for all-you-can-play gaming is nickle-and-diming? What does this even have to do with Apple itself?

Then you either weren't around or weren't paying attention to games when they were originally released. :rolleyes:

Hook Champ and its sequels were massively popular at the time and extremely well reviewed. A 2012 Wired article about Android gaming holds it up as a shining example of a great game only available on iOS.

Super Crate Box was a very popular indie PC game before being ported to Mac and then iOS.

Minigore, which is launching next week, was popular enough to spawn a sequel, and its main character appeared in other games, both on the App Store and other platforms.

The list goes on and on. The fact that you haven't heard of them says more about you than it does the titles they've chosen to resurrect.

Well, glad we got that out of the way. Guess we can all stop our subscriptions to both of the services now since PastaPrimav, the ultimate arbiter of taste, has laid bare the truth.
Just because you are aware of them doesn’t make them classic. Happy you enjoy them though.
[automerge]1572956139[/automerge]
Most of these games came out 8-10 years ago, so back when you were still crawling around your Mom's kitchen floor.
Lol. Keep trying. 8-10 years ago does not equate to a “classic” game designation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.