Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acid159

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Saudi Arabia
Hi

The new macbook pro have a Nvidia 9600 GT graphics card...

How would you rate this graphic card? Would it smoothly run the latest WINDOWS games (Windows on MacBook through BootCamp) ?

I am planning to buy MacBook Pro and want to know If the graphic card would be good enough to support current games and games upcoming in 1 year or so..

Thanks

okgsds

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
I have the newer MBP the first unibody one, I got the best 15" you could get at the time with 512 video memory. I have played all kinds of games on it in windows. The most graphical intense I have played on it lately is Sims 3 though.. which does require at least 128mb dedicated vid memory.. I have also played World of Warcraft in OS X with everything turned up to max and ran GREAT!

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
You will be able to play pretty much every game on medium to max settings. Some of the higher end games you may need to put the settings or resolutions down, but you should not have a problem playing any game. Also if you are feeling like your games are lagging try upgrading your ram.

Conclusion:You should be perfectly set.

srxshadow

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Although the graphics card is capable, the "latest games" for Windows will stress your mac to its max and will not give you the best quality for gaming. If you are familiar with benchmarking videocards, go and do some research on it and you will find that all the better games people are talking about will be playable but on low settings with that configuration.

Do you own any other gaming console? Some people don't mind playing a game under low graphics settings, if that's you then you will be happy. Going from Xbox 360 or PS3 to a macbook pro in graphics may not be what you expect.

It would help a great deal if you gave a few examples of the games you want to purchase because people have posted results of how they run with that video card. The sims and world of warcraft will be fine. Crysis... no.:cool:

zao8350

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
i dloaded and played the cod4 demo on windows using the best 15" mbp with the 2.8ghz processor. played beautifully

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
New MBPs can handle games well enough to keep most people happy. My approx 1 year old MBP works very well with just about everything I've played, even Crysis, even though at the time I bought my computer, Crysis rans poorly on everything out there (including PCs). ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.