Games on IOS for iPad!! More console quality/advanced and classic games??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Billy95Tech, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Billy95Tech, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Billy95Tech Suspended

I think the current state of games on the App Store for the iPad the majority of them are simple/basic and not too advanced like Angry Birds, Flick Shoot 2, Temple Run, Doodle Jump, Smash Hit lots more all those type of games which it is great for when you want to kill of time while you are waiting for a doctor's appointment, great for short amounts of time and yes I play those games and are fun to play...

But on the other side I find that is very very lacking that there are not really too many console quality and advanced games on the iPad yes we have games like Asphalt 8, Gangster Vegas, GTA, more and they are great for long periods of time and I definitely enjoy playing them and those type of games I can get in to playing it a lot more and enjoy it a lot more and is more fun as well then playing simple games like Temple Run, Angry Birds but those type of games are in the minority in the games section for the iPad unfortunately. :( :(

Now especially since the iPad is getting a lot more more powerful, I REALLY REALLY WOULD LIKE some more console quality and advanced games like FIFA, COD, Need For Speed and even some more classic games like The Simpsons Hit & Run, The Incredibles, Spider-Man lots more being made or ported over for the iPad, I just LOVED playing those games on the PS2/PS1, that would be AWESOME and it will be great for Apple to get some more gamers playing there games on a iPad instead of a gaming laptop/desktop or a game console like PS4, Xbox One. :)

I am not a hardcore gamer by any means, I am mostly a casual gamer, the majority of games I have and play are simple games like Temple Run, Flick Shoot 2, Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, Smash Hit along side with a few console quality and advanced games like Asphalt 8, Gangster Vegas, GTA on my iPad Air 2.

I just think the majority of the games are too simple/basic like Temple Run, Angry Birds and are only great for a short amounts of time but I definitely would like developers to have some more console quality type games and classic games like The Simpsons Hit & Run, The Incredibles, Spider-Man being made and ported for the iPad. :)

And it is the same on Android on the Play Store, So I would like this to happen on Android for tablets as well, not just on IOS for the iPad.

What do you think everyone?? Do you think there will be a lot more console quality games and classic games like FIFA, COD, Need For Speed lots more will be made and ported for the iPad in the future?? And would you like classic games like The Simpsons Hit & Run, The Incredible, Spider-Man lots more being ported over to the iPad as well?? :) :)

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Yeah, current iPad gaming is a joke to me. I've long been a gamer on Windows, but then slowly it faded away as I moved toward apple. As I mentioned somewhere else, there are a few worthy to me, such as bioshock and as you mention GTA. I don't care too much anymore about the graphics/looks, but more on the gameplay content. If valve would port some entertaining games such as Half-Life 2, or some multiplayer games like counter strike or Garry's mod, I'd be set! iOS is now compatible with some Bluetooth game pads, as are the games. All that's missing is the development, and maybe the hardware of the device (though it seems like the pro would be capable).

Hell, if Nintendo started to natively port some of their older games such as Pokemon or Zelda, I'd be willing to spend my money on those! I just don't like those endless content-less games that essentially go nowhere. Give me some decent storylines please.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

I suspect it has a lot to do with price point. The developers would have to sell those ported console games at the same price charged for the console versions - otherwise, the console business would be seriously damaged. That higher price guarantees that they won't sell a lot of them - it's hard to compete with $5-to-free.

Meantime, how many gamers would buy both the console version and the iOS? Probably not many - not when the same money would get you two different games if you stuck to a single platform. And unless the selection of console-quality games was as good on iOS as it is on console, gamers aren't going to switch platforms.

Also, I suspect that if game prices were in the $20 range, far more parents would shut down iTunes buying privileges for the kids altogether, hurting sales of the cheap games as well.

4. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

It will come with time, there are two major hurdles that will always exist -
    1. Capability - iOS Supports devices way back to the iPad 2 as such most game devs. want to target the most devices, hence capability is then limited by the lowest supported (iPad 2) or most sold device (iPad 4?).
    2. Pricing - A market for 'expensive' games exists BUT it is relative, an expensive game on iOS is either free with loads of in app purchases costing alot, or £9.99. Those are entry level prices in comparison to Xbox and PSN standards.

PC gamers will always be at the pinnacle of gaming, the latest iOS devices will start to rival the consoles eventually as a console is targeted to last 8-10 years versus an iOS update cycle of 12-18 months, BUT iOS will always be limited by the lowest device supported. I think the best we can hope for in the medium term is Sony to bring their Playstation Game Streaming Service to iOS and Android, the device would be irrelevant, you would just need a good internet connection.

5. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Its certainly swings and roundabouts.

I dont game hardly at all, but when i do it's always always retro stuff for me. Old arcade classics, still in old arcade style (ie, double dragon app, r-type app, everything i ever want on the iMAME app etc) and i also loooove the sinclair spectrum emulators.

I have an icade thingie too.

As for new current games? Personally not my bag. I'm an old grummpy bugger from a certain period of time who only appreciates certin classics. Not all these new fandangled kids things ;)

6. RebornProphet Suspended

I supported iOS gaming for years, really felt it could become a real "player" in the gaming space due to the power of devices and the distribution method of the App Store.

Alas, the iOS gaming community has more people who want free games and moan at the cost of mobile games while buying a £500 tablet. These people have forced IAP and F2P on us, and games using this method outweigh the console quality experiences.

Apple also have a lot to answer for by not supporting gaming, premium gaming, after iOS updates and developers need to take their share of the blame too. I've lost BioShock and Monster Hunter Freedom Unite due to iOS updates and the developer walking away. I almost lost The World Ends With You but thankfully SquareEnix fixed it ... eventually.

I still support premium gaming on iOS, but my passion for it has gone and I've since bought an Xbox One to get back into proper gaming.

It's a shame, these devices are so capable but being held back by the mobile gaming cheapskates.

7. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Agree with that wholeheartedly, EA did that to me with Mass Effect, Command & Conquer and Sim City, iOS got updated and they pulled the apps to stop them competing with the F2P counterparts/couldn't be bothered updating them.

All iOS has done is introduce a new level below console gaming. I suppose in a way it will end up creating more console gamers in the long term as people will want greater experiences, originally I thought iPads and iPhones may surpass console gaming.

1. PC
    2. Console
    3. Tablet/Phone

8. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Fifa on the iPP would be pretty sweet, imo. Haven't played since Fifa12 (too much of a time-suck), but if the updated it with iPP support, I'd gladly drop $10/15 on the new version...

9. bensisko macrumors 65816

Developer abandonment seems to be a big problem. Ironically, at least in my experience, it's the larger development studios that abandon their titles more often than indie developers.

There is a "gold rush" attitude amongst some developers (certainly not all) that they'll write the app once, then not support it after it's initial release.

I think the biggest issue is that developers want to write games for the latest powerful devices, but don't want to limit their apps to just the latest. For some reason, people who own an iPad 2 or 3 should be able to run the same games that an iPad Pro can run.

I played Bioshock on iOS - while it wasn't as good as the PC version, in terms of visuals, it was pretty good - and shows what can be done on iOS. Right now I'm playing Assassin's Creed Pirates (on the Mini 4) and it's excellent! It's visually very nice and pretty fun! I've tried some of the GTA games, but they're just not as fun as GTA 4 (can't wait for THAT on the iPad! ;-).

My biggest wish is for a Fallout game in the 3/NV style. I would never put my iPad down!

10. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Final Fantasy on iOS is a step in the right direction. I also side load emulators and play them with a steel series XL. But if you only consider modern gaming to be "serious" gaming, well you'll have to find another answer.

11. Noble Actual, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016

Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

I laughed at GTA V and Fallout 3/NV on iPad.

Playing console/PC titles on iPad and saying it "simply is not as good" is the definition of ignorance. They're on a total different level.

There's nothing besides the basic environmental designs that look similar in BioShock. The gameplay, the framerate, dialogue, and options in game are pretty much everything that is not what a BioShock game is.

Assassin's Creed Pirates literally takes the ********* part of recent AC games and makes it a mini game on the iPad. You would think the iPad being somewhat good now that they would at least try to port the AC Chronicles trilogy on it.

Have you ever played GTA IV before? GTA IV will never come out on iPad. It goes up to SA because thats still relative easy to port. Charging $30 for a game seems to be something stupid and no company would do.

The iPad can run some great games. Mostly Hearthstone and Vainglory which were either designed with iOS (Vainglory) in find or ported over with care (Blizzard).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2016 ---
    You know FIFA games have been free for a long time right?
    I think its still.

1. PC
    2. Consoles
    3. 3DS/Vita
    4. Tablet/Phones

3DS still is going strong around the world. Vita pretty much failed terribly but its still HIGHLY POPULAR in Asia/Japan. Not in sales but like in people who actually use them in the subways and stuff.

iPhones and iPads did surpass console gaming technically. I mean if you have an Apple ID, you have GameCenter account right? And more people have iOS devices than own consoles. I remember Apple bragging about this one time in a keynote which is pure propaganda and made me laugh.

What iOS gaming allowed was
    - allow my grandma to play Bejeweled
    - allow all the kids to play games like Doodle Jump and Angry Birds
    - allow teens to spend more of their parents money on FIFA
    - allow a few companies to make good ports (Blizzard with Hearthstone and Mojang with Minecraft)
    - allow most companies to find another way to milk their franchise (I'm looking at you Square Enix)
    - define the era of IAP (literally every game now as IAP)

What's holding iOS gaming back is
    - Apple doesn't actually care
    - people want games for free (I'm willing to pay $60 for Halo 5 because that's the standard. I am not paying $2.99 or more for an iOS game)
    - Game Center app sucks
    - Game Center infrastructure sucks
    - Developers aren't seeing the benefit of implementing the newest tech like Metal. (If you don't use the latest tech in PC/console development, you get called out. In iOS, no one cares).
    - Its not a substitute or an alternative. Its an add-on.

12. Billy95Tech, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

Billy95Tech thread starter Suspended

It still might happen in the future hopefully, So don't give up hope yet buddy! :)
    Why do you say GTA IV will never come out on an iPad?? Seems a bit short sighted really to be honest!!!!

I bet my whole life on it that WE WILL GET GTA IV on iPad in the future just like there previous GTA games on the iPad like San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Chinatown Wars and 3.

I can't see no reason why should they not make the game for the iPad in the future, It is only matter of time now that we will get GTA IV and V on IOS for the iPad in the future when the hardware catches up of course obviously!!

13. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

There always a "chance" but you must know the jump between San Andres to IV is WAY BIGGER than the jump between Liberty City and San Andres.

The list you mentioned use many of the same assets and are essentially emulations. GTA IV on the other hand is build on an entire new engine with multiplayer. A direct port will never work.

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I paid full boat for iOS games in the hopes more games would come out in that vein, but pay 2 win won out.
    I bought Real Racing 1 & 2 at release, as well as Final Fantasy III, XCOM: Enemy Unknown, XCOM: Enemy Within and Civilization Revolution, plus a ton of smaller games like Fastar!, Doodle Jump, Pocket God, Edge, a crap-ton of Tower Defense games (Defender Chronicles, The Creeps, Tower Madness, GeoSwarm, Fieldrunners, Kingdom Rush, Sentinel 1-4,...). Even the original Angry Birds was a hoot to play, before all the IAP got grafted on.

Unfortunately, pay 2 win is what is talking in most of gaming's money on iOS. :(

15. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

thats a very good point. it's not just games. i'll happily pay tons of bucks for desktop software, but feel very upset if i pay 10 bucks or whatever for IOS equivalents. Yes, they're more than worth it and the development into the apps more than warrants it, but heck, we all still get aggrieved.

why is this i wonder?

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think part of the reason is that the user experience isn't as good on a smaller screen. Now that I have the iPad Pro, I'm feeling like I'll get more of my money's worth if, for example, I paid for an html editing app. Because I feel like I would actually spend a substantial time on my iPP coding html. Whereas on the iPad Air, I'd only do that rarely, when something just needed to be done NOW before I could get to my desk. So I wouldn't be happy about paying $$ for an app that I would use very infrequently.

17. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'm still not there yet :p

as a designer i'd die for Astropad. really would. happy cough up the readies for it. but heck, i'm a crappy old Windows user eh? :(

18. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

There are probably many reasons. Fundamentally, our expectations have already been set by what we see in the stores. Desktop software costs "X", mobile software costs "Y."

Let's examine the history of App Store pricing. One factor was Apple's experience with iTunes Store pricing - average value of transaction; the price of an individual song download vs. the number of times people purchase entire albums. Another is that many iOS users were not in the habit of paying for software to begin with - what price overcomes resistance to spending? Another is that the emphasis has always been on smaller, less-complex apps (leaner code for machines with limited storage) - smaller/less-complex is easier to deliver by solo coders/small coding teams operating with nearly zero overhead, without marketing departments, CEOs, CFOs, etc. A certain amount is due to the hit-the-lottery mentality among those independent coders - low price would likely encourage enough unit sales to reach critical mass/rise in the rankings to obtain greater visibility/more reviews...

Most (costly) desktop software is sold for business, not consumers. Many consumers get by with whatever came bundled with the new computer/OS, and when they spend extra, it's likely to be necessities like anti-virus, tax prep/financial, and business/education support (Office) - cases where the developers have the leverage to demand a decent price.

Then there's the absence of physical media... consumers have been conditioned to believe that downloadable media can cost much less than physical media (Amazon Kindle is a big culprit here - I won't get into that now). As someone who makes money in both physical and downloadable media... it's a lie. The cost of printing/pressing and distributing physical media is a much smaller percentage of the selling price than Amazon wanted consumers to believe (Amazon needed people to part with $$ to buy Kindle, they needed to promise the media would be cheap, and loss-leadered in order to do it).

Then, there's the siren song of the Internet, advertising revenue.The promise is, "Something for nothing." The ultimate low barrier to acceptance. The reality is that mobile and web advertising rates drop every year - more sites and apps chasing the same number of ad dollars. But once you tell the consumer "it's free," good luck getting them to send you money. Enter freemium/pay-as-you-go. Just god help you if you can't figure out a way to temporarily hold your app for ransom (without alienating the customer). Enter the membership/subscription model... All of these funding methods are designed to bring the advertised price to something the consumer will spend without much thought.

19. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I like this thread, but for me as much promise iOS used to hold for me for gaming, that promise has died.
    Only now we're getting final fantasy IX on iOS and that's not what I call progress, a PS1 game on my iPad pro is not what I want.
    Where are the total war games? What about sunless sea or prison architect, I know those two are coming but it's obvious that iOS is not on the devs priority list.
    I've picked up a PS4 and am loving alien isolation, witcher 3 and GTA5. But once you see how graphically superior these games are to iOS games it's obvious we will never see these games anytime soon on iOS.
    I very rarely pick up a game on iOS now and can't see that changing soon.
    Apple had gaming in the palm of their hand and they blew it as far as I'm concerned.

20. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

You're like a photographer who doesn't consider an iPhone camera or point-and-shoot to be a real camera. You may be passionate, you may know more about the subject than 99% of the population... but the sheer numbers are against you. App Store sells huge amounts of cheap games, because for most people who play games (I won't call them "gamers"), that's all they want and all they need. It's little different than what you find in a casino - slot machines greatly outnumber table games and table gamers, and the slots are far more profitable for the casino.

Apple didn't blow anything. They're one of the biggest sellers of games on the planet. But if I produced $20-$60 games I'd be fully aware that, at that price, they'd never find their way to the top of Apple's bestseller lists. And if they're not near the top of the list, they'll have near-zero visibility. It's the wrong marketplace.

21. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Agreed. I don't get where people are saying "Apple screwed up/missed an opportunity in game." Honestly, Apple probably doesn't need to change/do anything. Its making a ton of $$$$ from the app store with minimal effort (and at least from the games side, its mostly from F2P games with IAP.)

Apple so far has been the only successful company to make a profit on gaming without needing to invest heavily into it. Microsoft and Sony basically were selling at a loss for years after the X360 and PS3 came out. Triple A games take millions to make and years to make (2-3 typical, some even take 4-5).

That being said, if your a gamer, there is absolutely no legit reason why you would want to game exclusively on an iPad or a Mac. I love Apple products but I also love games. Why would I ever limit myself to play a driving game or shooting game on those when I can play it on a machine that was designed to play them?

Its like why would I type documents and conduct research on my iPhone when I should be using my computer?

Maybe they're are some situations where its not feasible (on a plane, subway, in bed). iPad is a luxurious alternative but its hardly a viable substitute.

22. off_piste macrumors 6502a

I hate the pay-to-win money-grabbing model. You get full featured games like WoW for $60 plus $15 a month. On the other hand I've played Heroes of Dragon Age on iOS/Android/Facebook where people are dropping several grand per year. It makes no sense from a return for your dollar analysis and takes away parity and challenge.

23. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

1. WOW lost something like 5 million subscribers which means A) Business model is no longer viable. B) People are loosing interest C) Blizzard is looking at other models like F2P (Hearthstone and Heroes) and typical pay $60 model (Overwatch)
    2. $60 + $15/12 month = $240/year is crazy stupid expensive for 1 GAME
    3. It actually makes perfect sense. All three of those platforms you listed are FREE. Who doesn't have either iOS or Android AND Facebook (over 1 billion now).
    4. Not everyone likes challenges. Dark Souls? The Witness? Your average gamer will not play them. Angry Birds and HDA are easy to pick up.
    5. The model is to take advantage of human psychology. No one is spending $1000+ per day. Its more like several bucks every week, it adds up, there's no way easily check the total but you feel good when you see yourself/base/character betting stronger/better than others/friends.

24. off_piste macrumors 6502a

You think $240 per year for one game is expensive (it's not actually $240 but we'll assume it is for your argument)? I know people that spent well in excess of that just trying to obtain a single character on heroes of dragon age. And people run around with 4x dupes. And it's not that uncommon. $240 and WoW is unlimited play and you're not hindered or at a competitive disadvantage. You have to consistently pump more money into heroes of dragon age or you fall behind. The ten different animation models with different skins are utterly dwarfed by immensity of the WoW world, full storylines, dialogue, etc.

Yes, wow is losing a lot of subscribers but it's got to be the longest running game out there so it's not that surprising. I'm not sure the payment model is what is causing the decline as they pull their numbers back up every time they release an expansion. I'm one of the people that used to play. The game has gotten a little stale and things like having a wife, kid, and busy job tend to make it hard to play.

25. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Is it not $240/per year?

I'm just basing it off the info you gave me. Personally I don't play WoW so math could be wrong.

WOW/New expansion
    $60/year

Subscription
    $15 x 12 months = $180/year

$60 + $180 = $240/year.

Yes, $240 is extremely expensive for ONE game because most games don't cost $240 bucks. I know people who've spent 1000+ hours in Civ 5 and bought it + all its DLC for $15 or CSGO with hundreds of hours. Same with Halo or Call of Duty or FIFA or Madden. Or single player games like Fallout: just tons of characters with different builds and stuff. None of them cost $240, they cost $60. Comparing WoW to a mobile F2P is not exactly the best comparison.

I'm pretty sure there's an direct correlation with the rise of F2P model games and the decrease of subscription model. games. WoW is still doing well for a game of its age and type but that's because its Blizzard. Its lore and world is unparalleled but the issue is no one has time to invest in doing whatever 30 man raid/boss thing, organizing your group/guild, etc.

I could try doing that or getting with 2-3 friends and play Heroes of the Storm (or Overwatch) or I could sit on my sofa/bed and play Hearthstone.

WoW is one of those games where you have to commit hours upon hours too.

New games like Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm and Overwatch and mobile games don't require that. Play 1 min, 5 mins, or 20 mins, come back right where I left off and play again.