[Gamescom] Sony Price Drops on PS3 & Vita

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Aug 20, 2013.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sony PS3 12GB System (no Hard Drive): $199

Sony PS Vita (WiFi or 3G/WiFi): $199

2. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

3. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Wifi or 3g/wifi? Why would you buy wifi only??

4. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Who needs another bill!

5. Zellio macrumors 65816

Zellio

Do you have to buy a 3g connection with the vita? Couldn't you (If you have at&t) insert your sim card at some time to use it?

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have a 3G Vita and I used 3G when I first got it with the buy one month get one month free offer. It's never been used after that, quite honestly its pointless and waste of money. Most places I use my Vita I have wifi, with how little data you get and the prices ATT charges its not worth it unless you have money to spend foolishly.

You can't take the sim out of your iPhone or any other phone and put it in the Vita as its provisioned through ATT completely differently.

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sony really need to offer a vita / ps4 combo deal for $499 if they truly want the vita to sell. Sadly $50 off and a slew of indie games and one 2012 game ( not released till 2014 ) that anyone interested has already played is not enough to revitalise the vita....

8. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ IMHO, positioning themselves at $199 in time for holiday deals on top of that (free game bundles and accessories) should sweeten the pot.

It is going to be a fierce holidays for game systems:

Sony PS4 Launch: $399
    Sony PS3: $199 - $269 (plus deals)
    Sony PS Vita: $199 (plus deals)

MS XBox One Launch: $499 (surprise deals to compete?)
    MS XBox 360: $199 - $249 (plus deals)

Nintendo Wii U: $249? -$299? (price drop for holidays plus deals?)
    Nintendo Wii: $99? (price drop for holidays?)
    Nintendo handhelds holiday deals.

Wow, talk about deflation... ;)

9. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I think once Remote Play gets off the ground, the Vita will sell itself

Remote Play is one of the main reasons I'd eventually buy a PS4. I'd be able to go to my girlfriend's house, connect to her wifi, and play NBA2K14 or Watch Dogs or some other game from 30 miles away.

10. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

It will certainly help - I can't help but think Remote Play in the real world will be buggy and hard to get that perfect setup that makes it a cool reliable feature. I hope Sony proves me wrong, because that would be a really great feature.

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

I'd be happy if remote play just worked well while at home.

Playing a game, wife comes home and wants the TV, pull of the Vita and continue to play. Win - Win.

12. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Wii U - very handy. I was watching the news on TV and downloading Nintendo Wii U demos on the Touchpad...

13. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If only the Wii U had software worth playing even remotely on the horizon... I'm somewhat regretting buying one at launch, I should have waited till next year when they actually have software worth buying out. Don't get me wrong, NSMBU and Pikmin are great, but 2 games in nearly a year is pathetic.

14. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I own around 12 great Wii U games - not sure where the 2 number came from. This fall/winter Wii U has more exciting releases than any other console ... (for me at least)

Big Releases Include:

August:
    Pikmin 3, Disney Infinity

September:
    Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends

October:
    Sonic Lost World, Batman Arkham Origins, Wind Waker HD, Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag

November:
    Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch Dogs, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

December:
    Super Mario 3D World, Wii Fit U (Yes I'm excited to get into shape with this one)

Between my Wii U and 3DS I have not been bored a single night. Plenty of stuff to play everyday. I believe there are around 50 Wii U games out right now plus all of the great eShop Indie titles.

The Wii U had 30 launch titles which is more than XBox One and similar to PS4 ...

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

It had 30 launch titles of which 1 was worth buying. The only things on that list that I will get are Donkey Kong and SM3D. There's a reason why devs are starting to drop WiiU support, or not pay much attention to it.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I really want one just to play Fez since my brother is hogging the Xbox. :rolleyes:

Re: Wii U, I feel the same way about my 3DS. But that is changing pretty quickly with some pretty impressive stuff coming out soon. And I'm overall very happy having all the Virtual Console stuff as it's really nice to play those on it.

17. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Yeah I'm waiting to see this too

A 720p stream requires 5 mbps bandwidth. For console remote play that's taken care of by your internet connection at both ends. For cloud remote play that's taken care of by your internet connection at your end.

For latency you need <150 ms to kill lag. That depends on distance between your Vita and either the console or the Sony datacenter. If you're in NY with your Vita, and your PS4 is in LA, you're not gonna be able to console remote play from 3000 miles away without huge latency problems, so cloud remote play via Gaikai is probably the best universal solution. But that requires datacenters all over the globe, which Sony doesn't have right now. That's probably why cloud remote play isn't gonna happen until 2014 - they need to build infrastructure.

18. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Good for you E2!! I had a much different experience and have not had a day go by where my Wii U hasn't had entertaining and fun gaming experiences. Have fun killing people on COD Ghosts :)

(I kid but seriously why do you always come into threads hating)

19. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Having a different subjective opinion = Hating

:)

20. daneoni, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Price of the Vita is now £149 for the Wi-Fi. 16GB memory card is now £25. Trying to decide if the megapack bundle i got last week is still worth it. For £169 i got a Vita, 8GB card and 10 games free...granted only 3 are worth playing. But with the price drops i can get a Vita, Free Soul Sacrifice and a 16GB card.

Maybe i should just return mine and buy what i actually care about. and still come off with £20 saved.

21. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Trying to derail threads with something that E2 brings up over and over again in various threads - we have heard your viewpoint already and are sick of it ...

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sainsbury's are stocking 32gb Vita cards for £39. I just really want a 64gb card at this point! And I hope they also add internal memory in the next Vita.

But I'm just a storage whore :) (1tb PS3, 32gb on PSP Go and 3000, 32gb on 3DS, 3tb Steam drive)

23. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Who is "we"?

24. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Evidently not you :)

25. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Nope, I will speak for myself, thank you. :)