Gaming a generation behind?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Rovias, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Rovias macrumors member

I'm the kind of gamer who usually runs out and purchases the latest, greatest console. However, with this generation, I found out quickly that I could no longer do that. With the price of new games increasing by $10 dollars and the consoles themselves costing upwards of $400-$500 dollars, I just couldn't justify dropping that much cash to satisfy my gaming needs.

Instead, I went to Best Buy this week and bought a PS2 for $99 (after the $30 gift card promotion). Then I made my way to Gamestop and loaded up on some used games such as Final Fantasy XII, Odin Sphere, Shadow of the Colossus, Devil May Cry 3, Ratchet & Clank, Burnout Revenge, and a couple of others. I walked out of the store having spent less than $100.

I'm thinking this is the way to go. Since I can't afford a fancy, new system, I can load up on some good, cheap, last-gen titles and they'll keep me busy for a long time. A lot of these games I missed the first time around, so it's nice to be able to enjoy them for around ten bucks a pop.

What do you guys think? Anyone still playing their PS2 or original XBox?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I still on occasion whip out the Jaguar for a little AvP action, so, yes, I'm a fan or previous generation consoles... and their great grandparents.

3. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I still play PS2 games all the time, same with PSone, SNES, Genesis, GBA and old PC games.

still though, I would rather spend $500 on a new system to play the latest and greatest. A lot of games lose their magic as they age (look at games like Golden Eye) so playing them years down the road they won't be the same.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just 1 generation behind? At the moment all I'm playing are PC games and PS1 games on my PSP. Inbetween bursts on Zelda Oracle games on a GB Colour.

A good game will always be a good game. I haven't played a lot of these old classics yet, playing through FFVII for the first time and on so many levels it's miles better than anything else Square Enix have pushed out this decade.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Honestly, I've just made it a general rule that I will never pay more than $300 for a console. Also, I refuse to pay for online service as that adds up (which kind of gimps the 360).

Hence, the only system I currently own is a Wii. PS3 could be in my future if the rumored price drop occurs or if I get one used.

I would recommend buying a Wii, personally. The games are cheaper (still $50 for a new release, not $60), online is free (as is PS3), the system is cheaper ($250), and then you can buy a GameCube controller bunch of used GameCube games.

Also, PS2 is an *excellent* choice for playing older games. It had the largest library. Personally, I thought the GameCube had a lot of quality titles (Smash Bros Melee, Zelda: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, etc were my favorite games of that console generation, better than anything I played on the other two systems), but not a lot of quantity. Most of those good games are now available dirt cheap. But the PS2 had the most variety and had stuff like Final Fantasy, Burnout, and Kingdom Hearts (yay!).

Currently, I'm actually a Wii/PS2 player. My GameCube's being loaned to friends with little money right now since the Wii plays all my old games.

Owning a PS2 might actually save you a little money later on since it costs $99 extra to get the PS3 model that plays PS2 games!

6. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've been playing Genesis, SNES, and TG-16 games on my Wii lately. And my favorite game to replay is RE4 Wii, which of course is a revamped game from last generation.

I was going to buy a PS2, but then they announced the PS3, so I decided to wait. But now now that it's here, I'm just waiting for games that interest me to be released. I also wanted a PS3 to play a couple of PS2 games I had missed out on -- games like Okami, but now they're being made for the Wii with better controls. So as usual, my priorities constantly shift, so I'll probably just end up with a PS4, if the current trend of games continues.

Get the Capcom's Collection for the PS2. :)

<]=)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well there has been feck all decent wii games out for it in a while ;):p:D

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL BRAWL...

And hey, don't discount SMG.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

For me it's more about new games not providing anything... new. For an average sized game back then it would boot up in a few seconds and play without any accessories or internet required. Now it takes a year to load, requires updated firmware, may or may not use any number of accessories for something that provides the same level of entertainment, length and costs more.

Even modern games like TF2 are just slightly updated versions of the original.

Gah modern gaming sucks. But it doesn't just end there. TV's. My NES won't run on my TV, signal out of range or something regardless of RF or Composite cable. I don't buy new amps because they've reduced the number of phono inputs compared to a high quality 70's-90's amp.

10. Rovias thread starter macrumors member

I do own a Wii, but the problem is...I don't really enjoy it. I think I'm the only person on the planet who got bored with Super Mario Galaxy. And the controls are just not my thing. Being left handed doesn't help either.

I do love me some Wind Waker and Smash Bros. Melee, though.

11. pcypert macrumors 6502

I've always been a one or two behind kind of guy. Just posted this in another thread about the changes to the PS3. I'm glad some are footing the bills for us...and testing everything out for me. I personally think they are throwing money away, but I'm glad they are for my enjoyment later on :D

Paul

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It makes sense, and now, you really could do this(since their are SO many old games and systems), and have a massive group of games to pick from.

You could even space out games to where they were "released" in a year in a which allowed you to play them all

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Nope, so thankfully I have at least 2 more times to beat RE4 before I can finally afford the Chicago Typewriter.

And of course DOTA!! :D

And I have patience. There are still tons of games I have yet to get to. I still have not finished Zelda TP.

I don't get the Brawl crowd. :eek: *hides*

<]=)

14. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

I'm absolutley in love with Xbox 360 . . . so looking back for me has been...tough. I know money wise it's a little outrageous, but when all is said and done, I come away from my TV and couch very impressed and satisfied.
    I can't deny a good game of AoM or AoE: II though. Those will always be classics.

15. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I continue to play FIFA 05 on my Gamecube. Never gets old.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Buying an XBox on release day for $299 was awesome.

Now the 360 for the premium was $399 - I cringed. Then, after a game and extra stuff, the bill came out to over $600.... :eek: NO MORE...

$299 is my max, if I have to wait and wait I will.

The Wii was a no-brainer - $249.

I just got a PS3 40 Gig - $299 after the Sony Card rebate (the only way I would get one). Otherwise, I would wait until Sony dropped the retail price.

I don't know if I would wait so long for a 360 - but it might be worth it to - by the time the 360 Premium is down to $299, it'll be the better, cooler-running chipset.

As far as previous gen, I still play and enjoy old systems going back to the Atari 2600 and Intellivsion...

You'll have a lot of fun with older systems and great games, and still have a lot of mony left over!

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Die. Now.

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Only if my rotting corpse offends you and brings pestilence upon your humble abode. :p

<]=)

19. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I recently played Super Mario Galaxy on my friend's Wii (I only have PS2/PS3), since I always enjoyed Mario games and thought that maybe the Wii would be worth the purchase to get those fun Nintendo exclusives again (Mario, Zelda, etc...).

While it was fun, I found the experience lacking. Mario in 3D was never a good idea in my book, and the whole controller-shaking thing seems unnecessary to me. ...so instead of getting a Wii, I went on Ebay and bought a used SNES with Super Mario World, Zelda: Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country and Street Fighter II Turbo!!

That's all the Nintendo gaming I will ever need, I never should have sold my SNES 10 years ago!

20. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I still cain my Dreamcast and Sega Saturn. Xbox 360 is pretty good, but some games just can't be replaced.

21. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Just another reason to own a Wii. These games are all available on the VC. :)

I have SF2, SF2 Turbo, Capcom vs SNK and two SoulCalibur Arcade sticks. I have all the 2D Zeldas and quite a few other games from the Genesis, SNES, NES, and TG-16. They're all on one easy to transport console, whicn can easily plugged it into a HD set -- more importantly it provides good display results for these old games, I can save and quit a game from any point, and the Wii's Classic Controllers are second to none when it comes to the old-school goodness IMO.

I enjoy Super Mario Galaxy -- at least when I'm playing it, it has some amazing levels that just can't be conveyed on a side-scroller, but side-scrollers are still my favorite. And on that note, Super Mario Bros DS is a blast if you haven't looked into it.

<]=)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Aye! Any desire to buy consoles I missed went out the window on the VC. Neo Geo, Master System and Snes are all there now :D and the games are dirt cheap compared to what they are in shops. My only request is that Nintendo or another 3rd party release 1:1 replica controllers to be plugged into a Wii remote for the full retro feel.

23. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

While this is true, I got the SNES with two controllers and five games for 1/3 of the price of a Wii. And I have little desire to play Wii games, so a used SNES is a MUCH better deal for me. :)

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No pestilence, only fertilizer. :D

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I will always love my SNES...great system with lovely games. The online aspects of todays game is why I come back...I love playing online with friends/strangers.

When I play on PSN/Live I feel that my gaming experience is open to more things like people joining in on the fun even though they are not in the same room...me likes.

Bless