gaming help

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mikeyfresh, Oct 3, 2015.

1. mikeyfresh macrumors newbie

I'm new to building /upgrading and i need some help. i want to start iracing.

i have a 2010 mac pro
    2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    3gb ram
    1 tb hard drive ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
    running OS X yosemite
    i plan on upgrading the ram to 8 or 16 gigs
    adding a ssd
    upgrading the graphics card
    and possibly installing windows via bootcamp

the reason i want to install windows is so i can use a wheel and pedal setup although you can irace on OS X OS X does not play well with steering wheel setups hard to get force feedback to work and if you do you can't have full rotation of your wheel
    also graphics card i want to upgrade my gpu and everything mac friendly is very expensive was wondering if i could just pop any intel compatible gpu in or how complicated it would be to make them work .

i want to have the best iracing experience possible hence fully functioning wheel setup and good graphics not the bare minimum with everything set on low.
    with that being said if its easier to get the gpu to cooperate with windows and OS X is the problem i wouldn't care if i ever opened OS X on this computer again once i bootcamp it i have a macbook pro that i can use for my other computing needs so I'm more then willing to just dedicate this mac pro to my gaming needs
    wasn't even sure if its worth the work and money seeing as the mobo and processor is a few years old technology to begin with but i can't really afford to build a gaming rig right now any insight you can give me would be greatly apreciated

thanks in advance,
    mike

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What kind of specific advice are you looking for? I don't have a Mac Pro, but assume all those upgrades are doable. I've upgraded memory and video cards on Macs, have built a gaming PC. I've used Windows via Bootcamp for close to 10 years. What would you like to know? :)

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Depends on your budget.

For best performance, you can upgrade
    1) CPU to X5690
    2) RAM to 48G (3x16G), don't use the 4th slot if you want max performance
    3) 1T PCIe SSD (around 1500MB/s read write)
    4) 5770 to a flashed Nvidia TitanX (or even dual TitanX SLI with PSU mod)

For more budget friendly choice
    1) CPU to W3680
    2) RAM to 12G (3x4G), normal desktop DDR3 1333MHz is good enough, no need to go for ECC.
    3) A SATA SSD (e.g. 850 Evo), any size you see fit, and just plug that into the optical bay.
    4) A GTX970

Both suggestions is based on you only use it for gaming and won't even boot it into OSX. Because it's a bit complicated to deal with the drivers in OSX for Maxwell GPU.

Note:
    A) The CPU is quite cheap now. Any W3680, W3690, X5680, X5690 are virtually the same performance for gaming. Just pick the cheapest you can get.

B) There is almost no real world performance difference between 3 slots / 4 slots config. You can install up to 56G RAM (3x16+8) on the W36xx CPU, and 64G (4x16) for the X56xx CPU. Also, 1066MHz RAM will works fine as well with virtually the same performance. 2x4G is good enough for gaming in general.

C) You may install a PCIe SATA 3 card to fully utilise the SATA 3 SSD's bandwidth. However, the main benefit of the SSD is the low latency, but not high sequential read / write. So just plug them in the optical bay (or HDD bay) is good enough. Again, you won't feel any major difference in real world between different way to connect the SSD.

D) The PSU in the 5,1 is 980W, which is more than enough to power dual GPU + dual CPU. Since you only has one CPU, so PSU will never be a problem. However, the only way to get the power is via the 6pin cables, each of them only rated 75W. So technically, you can only choose a card that rated 225W (75x3) or below, and max at 2x6pin input. But in real world, the self shutdown protection won't kick in until 120W. So it's actually OK to power a ~300W card (e.g. 2x110W + 75W). It's your choice to go beyond that 75W limit or not (as long as you know what you are doing). And in the Mac Pro forum, there is a thread about how to mod the cables and get direct power from the PSU. If you go that route, there will be virtually no limit on choosing GPU.