Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamDonut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
England, UK
Hi All,

so as the title suggests i'm after some user feedback for a decent gaming mouse. I've got a magic mouse/magic trackpad set up atm but as (if your even an occasional gamer) you will know this is pretty bad for games, does anyone have any suggestions for a good gaming mouse? for playing WoW and other blizzard games and a few extra RTS's?

wireless/bluetooth would be preferable, to keep with the apple 'style' but for the user experience i guess i could put up with ONE wire lol

thanks

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
Hi All,

so as the title suggests i'm after some user feedback for a decent gaming mouse. I've got a magic mouse/magic trackpad set up atm but as (if your even an occasional gamer) you will know this is pretty bad for games, does anyone have any suggestions for a good gaming mouse? for playing WoW and other blizzard games and a few extra RTS's?

wireless/bluetooth would be preferable, to keep with the apple 'style' but for the user experience i guess i could put up with ONE wire lol

thanks

Regarding ergonomic comfort and standard functionality I hate the Apple mouse and trackpad. I use a Logitech MX Revolution and can highly recommend that. It looks great with the mac too.

Of course it's all my personal preference but I've had this mouse since about 2006. It is still in perfect working order, it doesn't look dated and still looks brand new!

EDIT:

I forgot to mention; I'm a games developer and do dapple in PC gaming. It serves great as a gaming mouse :)

Jorojr

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2008
My suggestion would be to go to your local brick and morter store and see how you like the ergonomics. What's comfortable to one person may be awkward to another.

With that said, I am very partial to Logitech mice/kbs myself. For a wireless mouse, I use a Logitech G700. Fore wired, I have two G500s.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
My suggestion would be to go to your local brick and morter store and see how you like the ergonomics. What's comfortable to one person may be awkward to another.

With that said, I am very partial to Logitech mice/kbs myself. For a wireless mouse, I use a Logitech G700. Fore wired, I have two G500s.

Love my G500. Had the Razer Nada and took it back because it just wasn't comfortable for larger hands. The G500 from Logitech is the best mouse I have owned.

And IMHO, no Gaming mouse should be wireless as it still has that delay.

JamDonut

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
England, UK
And IMHO, no Gaming mouse should be wireless as it still has that delay.

hadn't considered this!

and thanks to all you guys for your speedy and efficient responses :)

im swinging toward a wired logitech mouse i'll have a look at them in a little more detail but really appreciate the great feedback :) thanks

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Do yourself a favor, dump your Magic Mouse and get yourself a Logitech mouse for gaming, or even regular mousing :D.

I personally choose G500 to accompany the mighty iMac. Yes you might see the decal is a bit cheesy, but they really comfortable to hold, it's wired so it doesn't share problems any wireless/bluetooth mouse have. It doesn't have issue/problem if you want to use BootCamp Windows, no need for drivers (actually need to configure each button, but it runs fine by default driver), no bugs and also doesn't run out of battery.

So, the best combo for iMac is, Wireless keyboard, Magic TrackPad, gaming mouse.

Anyway I'd like to ask also, I need wireless gaming mouse too for MBA. Have anyone tried Razer Orochi? .. I'm kinda interested with this mouse .. bluetooth & wired combo mouse, yet it is said to have a sensitivity of gaming mouse. But I read they have problems with 2secs sleep time

haveaniceday91

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2011
I just got a razer naga for gaming in both osx and windows 7 via bootcamp it's been pretty great. The 12 buttons on the side are customizable to many of the magic mouse gestures. The position of your hand makes using the scroll wheel a little more awkward than I would have liked, but I set button one to scroll and it works like a charm :)

There is also a wireless version if you don't mind paying a little more and it's supposed to be pretty great for WoW if that's what you're going to use it for.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I also like Logitech mice, especially the MX series. The MX series has decent DPI (1500-1600), but not all the craziness of gaming mice. IMO, the super high DPI is only really useful for FPS type games, and only depending on your style of play.

My favorite of the MX series is the MX1100, but it has been discontinued. To me, it has the best shape for my hand, several programmable buttons, and 1600 adjustable DPI. The current MX "Flagship" mouse is the Performance MX, which is also a good choice. I believe it has 1500 DPI, Logitech's new Darkfield surface tracking technology, and several programmable buttons. I have very little experience with OSX (waiting for BTS promo to get my iMac), but have read several reviews on how useful this mouse is in OSX.

I actually posted a thread on Slickdeals on how you can get the Performance MX for ~$60 at Staples.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2972037

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi JamDonut,
I have many Mice (at least 15) and the best for gaming from those in my steelSeries 'Icarus' (wired).
The build quality seems to be better than Logitech or Razor, I been using this on my PC gaming rig for over 2 years, never had any problem with it & it still looks like new.
Have several Logitech and Microsoft wireless mice but not as good as the steelSeries (for gaming).

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
Personally I use a Logitech G9 mouse for gaming.
It's wired but after a bad experience years ago with a wireless mouse that died on me during a WoW raid I prefer to have the speed and reliability of wired.

The G9 is very configurable and comes with two external shells and various weights so you customise depending on the size of your mouse hand.

wangkom

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Hi All,

thanks

I have a wireless/wired razer mamba and a naga. The mamba while a good mouse is trash for OSX because of the lack of support for osx (no macros, only sensitivity adjustment and I can turn the lights on and off).

Probably doesn't matter because no serious gaming will be done on my iMac (I have a custom built gaming pc for that).

I recall that the naga had better support (and is a better overall mouse for gaming in my opinion).

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
A lot of people above mentioned various Razer mice.

Just to throw in another opinion to the mix; We have them in the studio I work in. I hate them, they feel too light and the build quality isn't great on them, they look and feel very plastic-y.

Of course this is merely an opinion. I assume that the Mamba (which I think looks lovely) could be a different story but I have never had the opportunity to use one. Someone above does mention that it doesn't work too well in OSX in terms of macros.

Let us know what you decide :)

cloudthegreat

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Do yourself a favor, dump your Magic Mouse and get yourself a Logitech mouse for gaming, or even regular mousing :D.

The magic mouse is the best mouse for OSX sans gaming. Many people misunderstand its ergonomics. It is a mouse that you don't put your palm on. It has a better ergonomic than regular mouses with tools like BetterTouchTool or JiTouch, because you can accomplish lots of tasks just by moving your fingers, instead of moving your wrist. So do yourself a favor, get used to a Magic Mouse.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
First of all, the Razer Naga is great for WoW. And it comes in both a wired and wireless version. Just make sure you install the latest driver for it from Razer. Since the Naga has its own preferences, the preferences for the Magic Mouse won't get mucked with when you change them for the Naga. (I'm not sure which other mice this is true for.)

Now as someone mentioned, the different mice will feel differently in your hands. Go in to a store and play with them. I'd recommend both Staples and Best Buy for the different selection of mice.

As for logitech, a couple of their gaming mice use 2 of the extra buttons for changing mouse sensitivity, so check to see if any of the buttons are reserved for configuration.

wangkom

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
The magic mouse is the best mouse for OSX sans gaming. Many people misunderstand its ergonomics. It is a mouse that you don't put your palm on. It has a better ergonomic than regular mouses with tools like BetterTouchTool or JiTouch, because you can accomplish lots of tasks just by moving your fingers, instead of moving your wrist. So do yourself a favor, get used to a Magic Mouse.

It pains me but I have to agree. I have various Razer and Logitech gaming mice and the magic mouse is the best non-gaming mouse out there. After using it for a while, I can't live without the two finger forward and backward swipe.

However, for gaming the magic mouse is not even usable. Use the MM for non-gaming and pick out a naga or other logitech wired mouse for gaming.

Anyone that tells you that wireless mice are acceptable for gaming is someone that sucks at gaming.

Meever

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Naga is a great mouse if you like playing MMOs and map hotkeys.

I've been using the starcraft 2 mouse (spectre?) for a while. It's not very comfortable, but feel very accurate on W$ side. OSX side it's a bit jumpy.

I would personally go with a logitech as well. G9 is a very popular choice (for good reasons). Microsoft's Sidewinder is also very good.

Again it really depends on a lot of factors (what kind of games do you play? How big is your finger? What type of mouse grip do you use? etc. etc.)

SkippyScud

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
USA
I went through the Razer Orochi, Mamba, Naga, Naga Epic, Logitech G700, Magic Mouse in two weeks. Orochi is a laptop mouse and I found it too small for my gaming habit. I have long fingers, so a larger mouse was in order for me, but it was solid.

G700 doesn't have mac drivers, you have to boot to Windows or connect to a windows machine to customize it then bring it back over.

Mamba just didn't feel right to me. Personal preference.

Naga was as the others said, a little small for my grip. So I plugged down the extra for the Epic. It has multiple width/palm adjustments. You know what, this review sold me. Cute girl did help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgHTtBiHHw

gustavobrust

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Buy the Razer Mamba and the Razer Ironclad mousepad.

This is the best combination imo out there for serious gamers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.