Gaming on 15" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Jan 6, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

How well does the base MacBook Pro handle gaming? How well would it handle the following games at 1440x900?

Oblivion
    Test Drive Unlimited
    Call of Duty 4
    Spore
    The Witcher

Would those games work well on the MBP?

and what about crysis?

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can play all these games:

Oblivion
    Test Drive Unlimited
    Call of Duty 4
    Spore
    The Witcher
    Crysis

on maxed out graphics settings using the 9600M card, however in power save (battery) mode using the 9400 graphics card only average PC level graphics.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Maxed out? I had to dial cod4 down quite a lot in detail for it to feel smooth enough for network play on windows. I did get it playing satisfactorily though.

To note, I did seem to have huge issues with the apple trackpad driver in games under windows, to extent I had to disable it to stop games hanging.

and I'd be surprised if crysis ran playable with everything turned to max either, considering it doesn't on my desktop, that is considerably more powerfull.

Though I do agree that everything should be playable at some detail setting or other that's still reasonable.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Why dont you play the Mac version then?

and the windows version can only be played maxed out on XP on VISTA its no good because vista hogs too much of the laptops resources and leaves hardly anything for the game.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok Sweet that sounds good. Do you think MacBook Pro performance would be better than a 20" iMac with 2600 Pro?

Also it is possible to manually add ram? And is the Ram in the 15" version DDR3 as well?

Thanks.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It is DDR3 and you can manually add it up to 6GB

and the imac would be better, but not portable.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok, this is what I have never been able to get answered, HOW much faster would the iMac be compared to the MacBook Pro? Would I hardly be able to tell?

Also, Im wondering why would it be better?

The iMac has a slightly faster cpu, Yes

The iMac has the same amount of ram, but its DDR2 as opposed to DDR3 in the MBP

The iMac also has a 2600 Pro, which is super old, wouldn't the 9600 be faster even though it is the mobile version?

8. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

but you would lose dual core support which is needed for rendering and shading.
    unless they sell 3gb ddr3 chips.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

you wouldnt loose dual core support, you would just get a bit of latency due to having different sized sticks.

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

I'm crashing from time to time under gaming (although the latest firmware update helped a lot)

It is obviously from thermal issues

Is this just how it is, or something I should bring up with Apple?

11. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

Because 90% of my pc gaming is done on a dedicated windows desktop, so it would be a ridiculous expense to buy the mac version too?

And I was running on XP not Vista, due largely to express card slot being entirely non functional on Vista. I found the frame rate at default graphics settings it gave when at native resolution at least far too slow to 'feel' smooth to me, I had to set most things to low and drop the resolution to 1280x720 before I felt it was truly playable, it may have possibly been smooth at higher detail if I'd have dialled the resolution right down, but I'd rather have lower detail and at least 720p

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Again I ask,

Ok, this is what I have never been able to get answered, HOW much faster would the iMac be compared to the MacBook Pro? Would I hardly be able to tell?

Also, Im wondering why would it be better?

The iMac has a slightly faster cpu, Yes

The iMac has the same amount of ram, but its DDR2 as opposed to DDR3 in the MBP

The iMac also has a 2600 Pro, which is super old, wouldn't the 9600 be faster even though it is the mobile version?

13. Hydroxs macrumors regular

The 9600m GT should be faster. Using 3dmark06, a 9600m GT scores around 5k @ 1280@1024 while a 2600 Pro gets around 3400.

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

So why is the iMac still faster for gaming? The MBP has a better video card, and DDR3 Ram.

15. akbc macrumors 6502

I honestly think MBP with 9600M should run those games faster than the iMac with 2600... 2600 isn't the best card out there (in fact, it's a pretty low-mid-range card now), and it's certainly NOT better than the 9600M in MBPro.

When it comes to RAM, 4GB should be quite sufficient. You get Dual Channel support for smoother rendering and shading (although I would turn shadows and water effects OFF for smoother online gaming play)

I run CoD4 at Medium-High (almost everything at high except for 2xAA and no shadows) and it runs flawlessly with a playable FPS count (40-50fps)

GPU matters more than CPU when it comes to gaming, the difference between iMac's CPU and MBPro's CPU isn't greater than performance leap from 2600 to 9600M.

16. akbc macrumors 6502

iMac should NOT be faster for gaming, I'm sure someone made a mistake and they may have thought of iMac with 8800M GS

17. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

18. akbc macrumors 6502

Oh, and by the way;

Make sure you lift up the MBP a little bit by wedging something under it, where the screen is.. like, make it slanted XD.. that effectively cools off the laptop by quite a lot. and you'll need it while gaming...

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Thanks for the advice. Would it be worth it to get a laptop cooler perhaps?

20. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, I've done lots of research and most laptop coolers aren't efficient.. not just with the MBP, but with ANY laptops... :(

I was looking at the Moshi Zefyr Pro, but I really couldn't justify the price of US$86 just to cool off my laptop...

For now, I just wedge something underneath and turn up the fan to the max. And it works for like 2-3 hours of intense gaming/3D applications.. then it starts to lag... :( But you leave the game off for like 10 min, it's back in the game.. Haha

Anyways, if you have extra $86 to shell out, the Zefyr Pro gets pretty good reviews and seems pretty effective. So go for it XD

21. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I was gonna get a $1700 imac originally so the MacBook Pro alone is already a little more than I want to spend. Also, A question about the battery. If I leave it in, could I leave it plugged in for long periods of time?

22. akbc macrumors 6502

Well, when I'm home I leave it plugged in all the time.

With my PC Laptop (Fujitsu), I take out the battery while it's plugged into AC Adopter. But some people say for MBPro's, it's better to leave the battery in.

so.. I just leave mine in :D and so far, I had no problems.

I've had 20 cycles so far, my battery health is still 100% according to iStat.

23. akbc macrumors 6502

And if you're worried about budgetting, keep in mind that 512MB of High-end MBPro isn't as cost effective as the 256MB of VRAM on the base model.

9600M GT operates on 128-bit, so anything more than 256MB becomes not as efficient. Unless you play GTA IV or use lots and lots of 3D Applications and rendering softwares, you won't need the extra 256MB of VRAM.

so, there's another way of possibly saving $400 if you were looking into the 2.53GHz model just for the 512MB of VRAM

24. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I was just planning on getting the base one because I've heard that about the 9600m.

Also how many batteries does the MBP have and is it cheap to replace or buy a secondary one?

25. akbc macrumors 6502

MBPro comes with 1 battery. I can last for about 3 hours watching DVD-ripped XViD movies. But I last a quite more when I'm just surfing and stuff..

And as for the secondary battery, I think it's around $139 on Apple Canada online store :) Not sure about the US store.

To be honest, I find the MagSafe adopter really really portable. Specially when you have the front prong wire removed for the "compact" version. So you won't have much problem carrying that around as well.