Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Voley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Can anyone post his FPS in different games on new laptops. I searched all I can, but the info is very scarce.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
There's not much out there at the moment for the 13". Arstechnica's review has a few GPU benchmarks showing relative performance to other computers. There are a couple of reddit threads on the apple subreddit mostly revolving around Civ 6 and League of Legends.

Queen6

macrumors G4
2016 MBP is still very new so it will take time to "get out there" First and foremost the MBP is not designed with gaming in mind, a point worth considering. It`s designed to be the best most portable platform for FCPX etc. Safe to say it will be a little better than the 2015`s, equally it`s not going challenge gaming laptops, that`s not it`s purpose.

Q-6

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
I'm having great results with the Iris 550 on the 13" at 1400x900.
  • Ark Survival Low - 32FPS Average
  • Smite Maxed Out- 160FPS
  • The Division Med - 35FPS
  • Battle Front Med - 32 FPS

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
You shouldn't game on these. People need to stop posting this every time new models come out and then complain about their burnt out GPUs. Apple is partly to blame for promoting gaming benchmarks.

Jens1983

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2016
Berlin, Germany
You shouldn't game on these. People need to stop posting this every time new models come out and then complain about their burnt out GPUs. Apple is partly to blame for promoting gaming benchmarks.
Sorry, but this is an absolutely unqualified post. Of course, you can play on these quite well. I just played CIV 5 on that notebook, and it works very well without any problems. Anyhow, I wonder if it can also make CIV6.

And as you should also know, games do not burn graphics processors. Typically, there are safeguards build into a processor.

So, please, stop to post such nonsense.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Sorry, but this is an absolutely unqualified post. Of course, you can play on these quite well. I just played CIV 5 on that notebook, and it works very well without any problems. Anyhow, I wonder if it can also make CIV6.

And as you should also know, games do not burn graphics processors. Typically, there are safeguards build into a processor.

Ok Civ, Solitaire and nappy wetting excluded...

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
'Gaming' is a very broad term. I think the 13" handles online poker surprisingly well, and as a bonus if you win at that you could get a gaming PC. Win win!

Mathias Denichi

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2013
Did you also try Civ VI? I would really like to know if this game runs on a 13-inch MacBook Pro.
Don't have it or I'd try it. I did a gaming benchmark post before for the m7 MacBook 2016 12". I could start another with requests to benchmark.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Again, do not feed the troll.

Anyhow, what is your mission on a Mac forum? Don't you have a hobby?

There wasn't a sign up, and I was unaware there was a troll lurking. Thank you for your assistance, I will thread carefully from now on.

Also my mission? Did we all get sent assignments from the mods, did I miss something? I also have lots of hobbies, did you want to start a club or something?

Anyhow back to the topic. Gaming performance will be poor, it will be better on a 15" or a dedicated gaming laptop/desktop. As I mentioned 'gaming' is a broad term, so what games do you want to play? If it's the latest games then no, you will have a bad time. If you're playing older games it's probably capable but I wouldn't expect much.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016

Depends what you define by gaming. When I read that a laptop does great with gaming, I immediately think, well, what games?

Civilization games aren't those that I look for in particular, because they aren't demanding. There are Windows computers, with trade-off of course, that can have GPU's similar to their desktop equivalents, ranging from 1060-1080.

For MBP's, sure, you can play some very light games at good enough frame rates. But performance to cost is absolutely horrible. For the $4000 MacBook Pro, I can get the sense performance with a $1500 Windows laptop, but again, with trade-offs.

So yes, while you may be able to do some games like online poker or Civilization V, to say that these are "perfectly apt" gaming machines that do well is not accurate when you're looking at the market

Reactions: idunn

azntaiji

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
So far I've played on my 15" with Radeon Pro 455:
  • Civ VI - Runs fine on low, medium and the water starts glitching. Still runs smoothly on higher settings, just more glitchy
  • Life is Strange - For such a great looking game, this runs awesome. Settings on high, only get lag during really intensive scenes, and even then it isn't bad

Reactions: Jens1983

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I've run Diablo 3 in macOS a few times on my 13" Touch Bar. At 1440x900 with medium-low settings I get 45-55 FPS.

Reactions: Jens1983

dapork

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2016
Greece
In the video I posted, the guy says he has a completely maxed out 15". I was wondering, does the CPU have any effect on gameplay? I ask because I plan on getting one with the 460 GPU but lower end CPU, and I just wanted to know if it makes any difference.

The Mac Doctor

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Has anyone tried WoW yet on the new pros?

I have. Cranked it all the way up and it works reasonably well. I do have the 15inch 2.9 GHZ with radeon 460 model though. Didn't delve deep into the game. My 2010 MacBook used to be able to run it (somewhat)

Codybby1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2016
I have. Cranked it all the way up and it works reasonably well. I do have the 15inch 2.9 GHZ with radeon 460 model though. Didn't delve deep into the game. My 2010 MacBook used to be able to run it (somewhat)

What is reasonably well? That's the exact config I plan on getting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.